Author Topic: the tyres chestnut again  (Read 4989 times)

the tyres chestnut again
« on: 01 March, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »
I am looking at getting some fast tyres for the trice. I am using marathons 406 ISO on the front and a specaiized armadillo 559 ISO on the back . Does the panel have any thoughts . Thanks Chris  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: the tyres chestnut again
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:45:35 pm »
I bought some Kojak's for barakta's Sprint to see if faster tyres would make it a bit less hard work compared to the boring sensible Marathon Pluses.  They certainly did - rolls almost as well as my bikes do with Marathons, with the bonus effect of cornering like it's on rails.

Obviously they're slick, so rubbish off-road,  and while they've managed to avoid the fairy, I suspect that's mostly due to luck and lack of miles.  They are delightfully cheap, though.

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:50:31 pm »
Where did you get them from Kim ? :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:53:05 pm »
Can't remember.  Whichever internet seller had the best deal at the time.

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:55:37 pm »
Do kojak's come 599 ISO flavour?.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:59:39 pm »

« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2014, 10:03:09 pm »
Interesting  :). Thank Kim  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2014, 11:16:47 pm »
Marathon Supremes, just ordered some more from West Country Recumbents (the very best price), fast and as fairy proof as you can get, I commute home through Cornmarket St in central Oxford at 04-00 and all the little darling clubbers think it fun to throw bottles all over the place (yes folk some of the people at the university acting like this are your future rulers  :facepalm:), as hard as you try you can't miss them (the broken bottles that is) all the time but the Supremes have coped with everything I can throw at them very well (including canal towpath and a little Bridleway work.
       4500 miles so far, brilliant.

8)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2014, 02:01:01 am »
I prefer 42-406 Supremes as well.
A good all round tyre.
After that it's either 40-406 Racers or 40-406 Trykers.
I think Racers are very close to Supremes, just slightly narrower.
I found Trykers fast but not a puncture resistant as the other two.
I found the 35-406 Kojak's gave too harsh a ride.
These  are the four main types of tyres I've used on my trike.
After that I've just used the odd tyre that I've picked up on tour after I had worn one of the above out.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2014, 07:13:54 am »
I've never got on with Marathon Racers (too many punctures). I had some Panaracer Minits Tough last summer And they were very fast but I got 10 punctures in 1000 miles.

On LEL all the velomobiles used Kojaks which was interesting. One guy gave me two kojaks so I'll try them this summer on my trike. My velomobile has trykers on the front, a marathon on the rear nd I'll probably stick with that.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2014, 09:29:44 am »
Strange about the racers, I have done around 7,000 on the one I have on the rear wheel and she who must not be named has not visited it (yet, hope I am not tempting fate), there again I am a bit fanatical about keeping tyres up to maximum pressure.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2014, 12:52:36 pm »
She who must not be named is more interested in the outside wheels on trikes...

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2014, 02:00:51 pm »
Tis surprising really don't you think considering the amount of cr sorry rubbish in the gutters

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2014, 03:41:58 pm »
Actually the thing that did for Marathon Racers for me was when I got a puncture in the rear wheel of my trike after 500 miles (two miles after getting a puncture in the front right wheel). It was only my second rear wheel puncture ever and I thought was pretty rubbish really. The Marathon Racers came off that evening and I switched to normal Marathons which are much more reliable - I get about 1 puncture per 3000 miles with them.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2014, 03:59:53 pm »
After following Auntie Helen's advice on the subject of Marathon Racers, barakta got a puncture in a Marathon Plus in under 100 miles from new.  The fairy has a sense of humour.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2014, 04:28:26 pm »
James got a puncture in his brand new Continentsl Touring Plus rear tyre after 50 miles. But hasn't had another in thousands of miles. Sometimes things are weird like this.

On my other computer I have my punctures spreadsheet (yes, I am that sad). I shall find it and post it here anon.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »
Here it is - and how sad am I!

Very weather-variable overall figures but it gives an idea of how the Panaracers ended up being too holey (there were some quite significant cuts in them by the time I took 'em off).

On the old Trice Q (these are the figures for Alfie the ICE Sprint) with Marathons all round I managed about 7000 miles between punctures once, including January and February.

« Reply #17 on: 04 March, 2014, 05:51:38 pm »
Would agree that marathon racers are fragile, had a high speed front and rear puncture while tearing down a hill on a B2.

Marathon supremes' all round on my Ice sprint 26, a 2 inch one on the rear and so far no complaints or punctures

best value for money tyre has to be  the big apple.

« Reply #18 on: 04 March, 2014, 08:39:37 pm »
I am looking at either the kojaks or the Supremes.
I know the kojaks are a harsh ride but as I have weak legs I am thinking the narrower the better  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 04 March, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »
I don't think the Kojaks are that harsh, if you find the sweet spot for pressure.  Much smoother than the Marathon Pluses, anyway.

« Reply #20 on: 04 March, 2014, 08:47:35 pm »
Rolling resistance of Supremes very good, in all honesty Chris these are bloody good tyres, I know you (like so many of us) haven't got money to burn so I unreservedly recommend these to you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 04 March, 2014, 09:03:06 pm »
I think the Supremes would be a better bet, tbh.  Slicks are fine if all you ever want to do is ride on skog-free tarmac...

« Reply #22 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:36:02 am »
I've used kojaks, did an easter arrow on them

They are only a harsh ride if you over-pressure them. Best to run them fat and low.

Not a particularly puncture-resistant tyre.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #23 on: 05 March, 2014, 01:03:58 pm »
Lot of luck involved, I think.  I've had very few punctures on Marathon Racers, so much so I've bought another for a different bike, and would buy them again in future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 05 March, 2014, 01:05:45 pm »
Lot of luck involved, I think.  I've had very few punctures on Marathon Racers, so much so I've bought another for a different bike, and would buy them again in future.

All else being equal, trikes have a harder time avoiding the fairy.