Author Topic: Winter Solstice - 18/12/11 200k  (Read 6336 times)

Re: Winter Solstice - 18/12/11 200k
« Reply #25 on: 16 December, 2011, 11:39:47 pm »
@ JayP and SK

I've sorted out a main road route to take us as far as Alderley Edge on the way back, by which time it should be ok, if dark.  I'll run it through Via Mich. to see how much extra distance is involved.  If I spend enough time on this, it's almost bound to prove unnecessary, so here goes!

ETA  It's about 230k but would be faster so we should get round without too much extra in the dark.  But if the weather is ok, we might be able to re-join the route-sheet  by Gatesheath.  Let's hope we don't need the alternative at all but I'll bring it with me.  (Haven't got GPS. I'm afraid.)

« Reply #26 on: 17 December, 2011, 11:40:14 am »
The is a bit of slush around the roads between Old Ma's and Farndon but the forecast is for rain and warming so hopefully it will all be washed away. Just hope the overnight temps don't drop too much as everywhere is soaked.

« Reply #27 on: 17 December, 2011, 11:53:19 am »
Been battling a cough/cold this week so have to decide later if I am riding. Really want to though and when I am ever sensible? Will certainly be wrapping up warm though.

« Reply #28 on: 18 December, 2011, 06:35:06 am »
Got an email from the organiser suggesting that it might not be a good idea to ride owing to an inch of snow on the ground where he is. Anyone closer to the action able to comment on conditions in Cheshire? I'm supposed to be heading out of here in about half an hour to catch a train. Presuming that they're running that it.

« Reply #29 on: 18 December, 2011, 06:41:13 am »
Interested as well as just been outside here and its fine, obviously snowed but not settled and not icy, well I couldn't find any down the side road anyway.

« Reply #30 on: 18 December, 2011, 06:47:02 am »
The trains are running. I've just checked live weather CCTV for Stockport which is showing some snow on the ground. However, nothing at Jodrell Bank, Northwich, Lymm or Wrexham so I'm going to make the bold decision to get on the train and make another decision when I get to the start.  I'm reckoning the snow line won't extend much below the first short bit of the ride. See you there if you're coming.

« Reply #31 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:05:47 am »
I'm getting a lift to the start so definitely coming over. As I said no ice here, I am sure the neighbours wondered what I was doing in my PJ's, and the forcast is above freezing all day for the route. Thinking it may actually be a nice day.

If at the start, or on the way over ice is a problem then I can reassess.

Now better get dressed, will be wrapping up warm it's too long a ride to get cold on. Wondering if winter boots and overshoes would be overkill....

« Reply #32 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:15:19 am »
Hmmm, just started bucketing it down with snow here, which may change things somewhat as my lift my not want to drive.....

« Reply #33 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:20:37 am »
The local roads here in Nottingham are an ice rink. I'm gonna give it a miss.

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #34 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:53:48 am »
A bit of snow here in north Cheshire - but over ice. I am out on my bike most days - not this morning. I will have a look later to see if I can do a short ride. Not doing the event :(.
The lanes south of Alderley Edge are really bad (ice). And it's that very slippery stuff that happens only a few times a year. It rained hard yesterday then the temp dropped. Sheet black ice at it's best. Oh Poo :'( Iwas ready looking forward to this Audax.

« Reply #35 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:54:55 am »
Not coming over now, driving conditions no good.

Will be riding it as a perm soon though.

Winter Solstice - 18/12/11 200k
« Reply #36 on: 18 December, 2011, 09:12:17 am »
I've decided to give this a miss.  To much a risk of ice for my liking. 

The roads here at home (Belper) are frosted over and it was -3 first thing.   I had a crash on the ice a couple of years ago and broke my arm - that has really changed my perception of what is safe & I'm much more cautious with ice now.

Disappointed, because I was looking forward to it - I'd planned to ECE my way to the start too!  At least I've already got my RRTY ride in for his month.

Good luck to those who are still doing the ride. I hope the weather is not as bad as I feared and hope that you stay safe.

P

Eddington: 114 Miles

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #37 on: 18 December, 2011, 09:45:19 am »
Went to the start by car. Offerton and Bredbury were semi-frozen slush on an icy base.
It had been raining at 7.30am in Sale onto frozen surfaces - perfect for black ice, so had an entertaining minute or two sliding the car around (empty roads) until I reached bus routes.
If I'd waited until about 10am, it might thaw, but that wasn't going to leave much daylight in which to cover distance before cold and dark return, then there is the question of untreated lanes.
So, a DNS for me.
Lad from Weaver Valley CC has set off on his trike. Best of luck. Sun is out as I type this 8)
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #38 on: 18 December, 2011, 10:33:00 am »
North Cheshire weather update at 1030: the sun is out, 50% blue sky, temp now at 0.5C.
Still lots of ice on ground.  I will not be going out cycling today :(

« Reply #39 on: 18 December, 2011, 11:06:40 am »
It was snowing hard in Rochdale this morning and I had to clear the car rwice before setting off.  When I got to the start, there were four or five riders umming and ahing.  Julian Dyson had ridden down overnight from Ulverston.  I''ll write that again, JULIAN DYSON HAD RIDDEN DOWN OVERNIGHT FROM ULVERSTON.  He decided not to proceed further.  JayP and Derek Heine and a Sheffrec rider waited for the arrival of Pete Hammond.  It took him an hour and a quarter to do the nine miles to the start and he brought tales of ice covered by slush.  So we decided to try it as a perm after Christmas.  It's a beautiful day now but I'm glad not to be seeing it from a hospital bed and I hope the one or two starters make it round safely.

border-rider

« Reply #40 on: 18 December, 2011, 11:31:31 am »
Sensible choice

It's not as cold here, but my experience of driving home at 11pm last night suggested that it'd perhaps be foolish to be out on a bike early today

« Reply #41 on: 18 December, 2011, 11:40:54 am »
I was toying withthe idea of a ride but the lanes are lethal this morning.  I'll go for a run or mountain bike instead I think.

« Reply #42 on: 18 December, 2011, 11:41:56 am »
There is a cross race 2miles from me so I'm going to do that, couldn't be more different to a 200k audax!

« Reply #43 on: 18 December, 2011, 11:45:19 am »
Julian Dyson had ridden down overnight from Ulverston.

AND he did a 200 against a big wind across the Pennines from York after the AGM, the results now point out.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #44 on: 18 December, 2011, 12:17:11 pm »
It was snowing hard in Rochdale this morning and I had to clear the car rwice before setting off.  When I got to the start, there were four or five riders umming and ahing.  Julian Dyson had ridden down overnight from Ulverston.  I''ll write that again, JULIAN DYSON HAD RIDDEN DOWN OVERNIGHT FROM ULVERSTON.  He decided not to proceed further.  JayP and Derek Heine and a Sheffrec rider waited for the arrival of Pete Hammond.  It took him an hour and a quarter to do the nine miles to the start and he brought tales of ice covered by slush.  So we decided to try it as a perm after Christmas.  It's a beautiful day now but I'm glad not to be seeing it from a hospital bed and I hope the one or two starters make it round safely.

Amen to that. Driving back down to Hazel Grove from Woodley I saw two riders returning and caught up with a group of seven riders who may well be be the only starters. Good luck to them! There is big sun in a blue sky down here in Macclesfield just now ( as always  8) ) and the main roads are OK but the lanes will still be icy. A main roads only version of this ride would be hugely over distance. So disappointing but the right call I think :(

mikewigley

« Reply #45 on: 18 December, 2011, 01:37:07 pm »
I cannot believe how incredibly unlucky we are with this weather.  I was all set for having a record number of riders on the event up until yesterday, but when I woke up this morning to see a couple of inches of snow it was obvious that this isn't a day for cycling.  I'm now looking to set a personal record number for DNSs.

I don't cancel my events (it's up to the riders to assess the situation) but I did try and dissuade anyone setting off for the start, but that was obviously too late for some, particularly Julian Dyson who left home yesterday evening to cycle from Ulverston on the first leg of an ECE 600.  My parents were further able to persuade some of those that did turn up not to bother setting out.  There is a team of about 7 triathletes giving it a go, but at least they will be riding together (hardy chaps these triathletes although I understand they've not bothered with the pre-ride swim this time).

I'm looking at running this again on Sunday June 3rd, provided I can arrange for the controls to be available.  Watch this space (or the calendars at www.aukweb.net or www.PeakAudax.co.uk)

Mike

« Reply #46 on: 18 December, 2011, 04:57:28 pm »
Yesterday the roads around Chelford were icy slush freezing around 4pm. At 7:30 last night I crashed on Black Ice on a treated road in Macclesfield, I walked on another section and fell again. Too risky.

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #47 on: 18 December, 2011, 06:30:55 pm »
DNS'd, went home then, at 11am, went out for a short local ride with a clubmate around Lymm area.
Even then, the MAIN ROADs were dodgy - icy bends, etc, where overnight rain had washed off any salt and lack of sun left frozen spots.
So, good call for all those of you who did decide to DNS. :thumbsup:

Just got home now, spending late afternoon in the pub after getting as far as Dones Green cafe (on A49). (- cracking ride in sunshine, but on main roads, so upsetting the 4x4 crowd by riding 2 abreast :smug:) It's now hovering below zero. Main roads are beginning to freeze over again. I'd probably be still out there if I'd set off at 9am. Rather glad I'm here typng this with a 3 pint post-ride glow... Hope the 7 idiots triathletes get round OK.

GMcC (Rochdale Tri Club - but also Trans-Pennine CC - so I do know better)
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #48 on: 18 December, 2011, 08:19:32 pm »
At 7:30 last night I crashed on Black Ice on a treated road in Macclesfield, I walked on another section and fell again. Too risky.

MMM.... Let me see now.....    Wasn't it the Saturday Run Xmas p*** up yesterday?  :-X  :demon:

« Reply #49 on: 19 December, 2011, 08:18:23 am »
It didn't bode well when I set off to get the train from Sheffield and had a comedy fall on the icy black brick surface outside Hallam Uni and slid for quite a while. It was a bit unsettling riding up from Stockport Station to the start and if I had any sense about me at all I would have turned home by now and it would have been a fair call. Still, I decided to get out there and see what happened.

It was slow and slushy as far as A626 and then tramlines all the way to Hazel Grove so not a lot faster. After that, the percentage of road surface uncovered was definitely more than that covered and my pace picked up, even though I was checking behind me to see if anyone else was coming.

Out of Wilmslow the roads were perfectly rideable as long as you kept away from the edge and didn't go flying into any corners but as soon as the Cheshire Plains opened up in front of me the temperature dropped so I decided to do nothing less than B roads so left the instructions at the turning onto Hulme Lane and kept on down the B 5081. I did find some patches of slush but the tramlines afforded me safe passage.

The roll along the A54/A49 and A51 were momentarily busy biut most drivers were very courteous and I was only mainly troubled by a bit of a headwind. I resisted the temptation of rejoining through Little Budworth and picked up again in Tarporley. At this point the sun was out and the lanes were fantastic. Clear, dry in places with the occaisional narrow strip of ice in the middle of the lane, which was easily avoided.

I was glad to make it to Old Ma's due to hunger and ran into a guy from Stourbridge. He had been on the route all the way and told tales of terror and walking before leaving me to a massive plate of beans on toast. As I was finishing up, the Wakefield Tri Club seven turned up with similar tales of walking. Back out on the road I decided to stick to the route based on the l roads being pretty good at the time and worth using for as long as this seemed to be the case.

The route down through Malpas and Whitchurch to Market Drayton were some of the finest winter riding I've ever had with bits of tailwind, sun, lovely scenery and views of snowcapped Welsh mountains. I only regreted no camera and doing it alone. The temperature dropped in Market Drayton so I up-layered and went into look for ice mode. However, as the dusklight lasted a good long while I didn't find any all the way up to Nantwich and the Secret Bunker road was still great.

I did toy with the notion of getting onto A roads but as the next section was B road, thought it worth a gamble. For those that live near Worlseton, there is an impressive array of Christmas lighting that could be worth a visit. Alas things got less beautiful outside Church Minshull things got a lot less beautiful and a lot more skittery underwheel. I slowed right down and proceded with extreme caution for the A530. Alas with less than 100m to go a car came up behind me and instinctively I started to move over a bit, lost the front wheel and went down with a crash. It wasn't too bad, although I knew it would hurt this morning so walked over the last of the ice to the main road and hopped back on.

From there it was main road to the Little Chef control in Middlewich for a restorative coffee and cake and ponder how the Wakey 7 would fare as apprently they only had the routesheet for navigation. After the control I left along the A54 and stayed with it to Holmes Chapel and then up the A535 past the spooky sight of Jodrell Bank. The only risk here was the occaisional fan of ice pushed out from side roads but easily avoided.

Alas I got a bit confused at the A537 roundabout as this wasn't on the routesheet and the A535 seems to just stop here. I pressed on into Alderly Edge but not wanting to head onto the backroad Heyes Lane. Alas the new bypass and stuff mean that the signs at the next roundabout make almost no sense at all to a cold tired audaxer in the dark. I stuck north and found the A538 anyway. Back onto the route again I followed it back to the finish. There were the occaisional moments of wheelspin on climbs but nothing too unsettling. I don't mind what the back wheel does, it's the front that scares me.

I concede that I had to walk the last 100m as Redhouse Ln and Redbarn Close were as shiny as a brand new penny. I'd lost my pen in the crash so texted the organiser to let him know I was done. He called me to say I was crazy to have gone out and that the Wakey 7 had packed at Church Minshull. I'm willing to bet there was crashing and the only thing worse than crashing alone is crashing in a group. I told him of my previous icy endeavour a few years ago and he said I should have known better. I think that's probably true of all audaxing.

I wonder how the Stourbridge rider fared? Was he fast enough to keep ahead of the ice or did he bail out as well. I might be the sole finisher of an act of mid-winter foolishness. Next time I may heed the organisers advice if they suggest it's better not to ride, but all in all it wasn't too bad a day out, just a little challenging at times.