Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105100 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #150 on: 07 July, 2014, 02:34:55 pm »
Be wary of coming through Grosmont to Monmouth - there's a road out with no real warning - don't expect they've finished it since I was there a couple of weeks back.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #151 on: 10 July, 2014, 08:48:22 pm »
Anyone ridden 4F ? and have a route .gpx to share?

ta
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #152 on: 12 July, 2014, 08:31:35 am »
3A next weekend for me. Anyone got the file for that one?  Looking for the pure ( probably hilliest!) route.
Does not play well with others

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #153 on: 12 July, 2014, 04:38:14 pm »
I wanted to have the cards at hand and do the rides when I can fit them in, but when I enter on line it wants me to fill out a date and I can't get any further if I try to leave it blank.

Plus the 6A has got some funny message about the price:

£To be confirmed Warning: number_format() expects parameter 1 to be double, string given in /srv/www/aukweb/aukcms/events/detail.php on line 261   ( £ when paying via PayPal.  )

Edit 1: It will let me enter if I put the date format as 00/00/2015 or 00/00/2016 etc. Would this be ok if I did the ride at any time in that year or shall I just do a bank transfer or paypal for the full set ?

I think I've fixed the problem.  A lot of the Cambrian perms that I inherited when I took on the series had a fee £to be confirmed - which resulted in "does not compute" when translated into Paypalese.  I've gone in and set all the fees to £3 so hopefully this problem won't recur.  I've had a successful entry for the 4F which did have a fee.   ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #154 on: 13 July, 2014, 07:38:20 pm »
Question for those who have done the 3A....did you do the dull as dishwater A40 between Abergavenny and Brecon?  I hate that bit of road, but it does seem to be the straightest/shortest route. 

« Reply #155 on: 13 July, 2014, 08:03:45 pm »
Classic example of Bikehike playing sillybuggers on the 3A folks.  Check your files well, or you could end up riding this

« Reply #156 on: 13 July, 2014, 08:26:53 pm »
With ridewithgps / mapmyride I now switch prefernces to `driving` to avoid such incidents ! Seem then to avoid the unpaved options
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #157 on: 13 July, 2014, 08:33:04 pm »
Question for those who have done the 3A....did you do the dull as dishwater A40 between Abergavenny and Brecon?  I hate that bit of road, but it does seem to be the straightest/shortest route.

Use the A40 as far as Crickhowell and then cross the river and follow the B4558 through Talybont on Usk.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #158 on: 13 July, 2014, 08:48:43 pm »
This is pretty much what I did when I rode the 3A in 2010: click. Chepstow start, then up to Hay, Brecon etc.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #159 on: 13 July, 2014, 08:55:24 pm »
This is pretty much what I did when I rode the 3A in 2010: click. Chepstow start, then up to Hay, Brecon etc.

Ah, this is fabulous!  Thanks  :thumbsup:

caerau

« Reply #160 on: 14 July, 2014, 07:57:40 am »
Here's the route I used, was lovely :)

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2437846

caerau

« Reply #161 on: 14 July, 2014, 07:59:07 am »
Hmm, looks somewhat identical on that particular stretch :thumbsup:

« Reply #162 on: 14 July, 2014, 08:18:17 am »
Isn`t the first 60/70 km pretty well a mirror image of last 60/70 km on Brev Cymru too?---need to be wary of road erosion if so due to so many cycle tyre passages  :D

caerau

« Reply #163 on: 14 July, 2014, 09:23:38 am »
It's got a lot in common with Yr Elennyd too iirc.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #164 on: 17 July, 2014, 09:43:05 am »
I`ve put together a potential 4F route ---http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5305922?privacy_code=jaCchbuzq6UEKIJu --and it comes out at 420km---I will start @ Knighton and can trim a km or two off by not going via Bleddfa to Llangunllo but via Knucklas etc.

Any thoughts on modifications, in particular the bits around Aberdare / Heads Valley Road which I can`t seem to find alternatives on. My expected schedule would see my @ Aberdare / Merthyr around 9-10pm---on a Saturday night too  ??? ---before heading up to Talybont / Hay / Kington on home leg

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #165 on: 17 July, 2014, 11:51:37 am »
I`ve put together a potential 4F route ---http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5305922?privacy_code=jaCchbuzq6UEKIJu --and it comes out at 420km---I will start @ Knighton and can trim a km or two off by not going via Bleddfa to Llangunllo but via Knucklas etc.

Any thoughts on modifications, in particular the bits around Aberdare / Heads Valley Road which I can`t seem to find alternatives on. My expected schedule would see my @ Aberdare / Merthyr around 9-10pm---on a Saturday night too  ??? ---before heading up to Talybont / Hay / Kington on home leg

There is a road that runs parallel to the Heads of the Valley road between Glynheath and Hirwaun that I'd always assumed people would take.  You may be able to trim some distance off on the Aberaeron - Llandeilo leg by going through Llansawel (my quick look on Google Maps suggests 7km).

The shortest route out of Knighton goes over Bailey Hill as you've pointed out above.

Otherwise looks good.  Overall distance on the shortest route I could find on Google Maps is about 407km.

« Reply #166 on: 17 July, 2014, 01:26:11 pm »
Thanks for that---I see The Rhigos road and note the `cut through` via Lansawel; now should I ride it on 26th July or not... ???

« Reply #167 on: 26 July, 2014, 09:25:21 pm »
Well---ended up riding 2E anti clockwise instead, ie going down really steep side Bwlch y Groes. At moment all I can say is that it was very very very hard ride entirely " relentless hills " is a very fair description; Newtown > lake Vyrnwy, 40 km was L1000m alone and I now realise why i`ve only once ever ridden the New mills > Llanfair Caerenion road  :o--clocked up      4 300m ascent and it was relentless; temps to 25c + were trying and a lot of time spent stopping to refill body and bottles on drinks. Fuller report soon

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #168 on: 26 July, 2014, 10:19:07 pm »
Well---ended up riding 2E anti clockwise instead, ie going down really steep side Bwlch y Groes. At moment all I can say is that it was very very very hard ride entirely " relentless hills " is a very fair description; Newtown > lake Vyrnwy, 40 km was L1000m alone and I now realise why i`ve only once ever ridden the New mills > Llanfair Caerenion road  :o--clocked up      4 300m ascent and it was relentless; temps to 25c + were trying and a lot of time spent stopping to refill body and bottles on drinks. Fuller report soon

It's a strange thing about a circular ride that the ascent on the clockwise direction is the same as that in the anti-clockwise direction - so what you gain by descending the steep of Bwlch-y-Groes you must make up somewhere else!

« Reply #169 on: 27 July, 2014, 06:12:45 am »

It's a strange thing about a circular ride that the ascent on the clockwise direction is the same as that in the anti-clockwise direction - so what you gain by descending the steep of Bwlch-y-Groes you must make up somewhere else!

indeed  ::-)  and as other posts have indicated going down steep side means LESS time descending  :o as it`s over so quickly---need to remove melted rubber off rims today !!! ---but going DOWN to Bwlch Y Gle dam @ Clywedog was wonderful, 85 kph reached  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Slightly more pleasurable memories of it this morning !!!-wasn`t that bad after all

« Reply #170 on: 27 July, 2014, 04:29:44 pm »
OK--2E.
w/e before having ridden up Bwlch Y Groes on Barmouth Blvd decided to do an anti-clockwise circuit start @ Knighton.
The climb out of the Teme valley towards Anchor was very pleasant, a nice staedy 6-10% gradient and not too hot--even at 9am I had to remove arm and knee warmers. The fields were looking parched after the run of dry weeks and the extensive views across the rolling hills

A fabulous descent down to Newtown, losing nearly 400m height brought me to control 1 in good time before I set off towards Llanfair Caerenion / Lake Vyrwny and Bala. This turned out to be a really tough section indeed---the road reared staright up out of Newtown on a 16% slope, and this continued up, down all the way to Lake Vyrnwy, taking in some narrow and steep but scenic lanes on the way --theme of the morning section  ::-)

Reaching Lake Vyrnwy I was able to relax , recuperate and enjoy after the gruelling hot slog from Newtown--certainly IMO the hardest section of the whole 200km---and the 8km flat along the reservoir road in shade was very good indeed :thumbsup:

Hirnant pass out of Vyrnwy was a good steady climb, just a couple of sharp 10+% sections before an excellent fast descent down

I was very glad to reach Bala and get some food in, and more importantly stock up on more fluids--with the temp now near 25c it was proving to be a hot ride, but fortunately not as hot as recent days.
In contrast to the south (Dinas) climb of the Bwlch y Groes the northern side I find a pleasant climb and within an hour of leaving Bala I had reached the summit, enjoying graet views on the way up

With little traffic around the descent went smoothly, no cars / sheep to interrupt a rapid but controlled freewheel down to the baking valley and a pint of shandy at Red Lion in Dinas.
With the two `signature` climbs now completed I felt more confident of finishing having thought before Vyrnwy that a shortcut might be in order as hill after hill assaulted me.

having ridden the llanbrymair > Knighton section many times before I knew what was in store around Clywedog and slowed right down to pace myself---signs of "Araf-Slow" on the road were unnecessarily appropriate at many points but I very much enoyed teh downhill swoops of 16% reaching a new maxm speed of 85 kph on the Bwlch y Gle descent  ;D

The Society Preservation Audax Riders (aka SPAR) @ llanidloes provided a control point but also teh opportunity to get 2l of sparkling water to rehydrate; couple with a ham sarnie, 4 chocolate muffins and a 20 minute sitdown this helped me to summon energy for the final 40km roller coaster into Knighton.

Dark thunder clouds were gathering now on the skyline and I fully expected a thorough soaking

A stiff breeze had also picked up but luckily this was a tailwind  ;D which assisted me along towards Llanbister and the final big hill of the day, a 1km section of 15% to gain the open moorlands.
Nearing Llangunllo it was clear that 1, there`d been some serious rain and 2 I had also missed it  :thumbsup: Deep roadside puddles and gravel across teh road was evidence of a tremendous recent downpour. But at least it cleared the air for the final half hour back into Knighton just under 12 hours since leaving.

A very hard ride, my Etrex showed 4 300m ascent !!! and the added heat made this one of the toughest rides I`ve done this year   --- but it`s all part of the fun isn`t it  ??? ::-)

« Reply #171 on: 28 July, 2014, 08:26:15 am »
Brilliant write up James!  Sounds like you were very lucky missing that storm.   

Not sure which way I'd rather do the Bwlch.  The climb from the South is horrendous and would have been terrible in the heat, and the climb from the North is, indeed, pretty nice.  But I'd hate to loose all that height descending south, it's not like it's an A or B road with loads of room for to let the speed roll out. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #172 on: 29 July, 2014, 10:20:28 pm »
There are three ways up it (one from the East as well) - a bit like Mont Ventoux.  Come to think of it there is a challenge for climbing Ventoux three ways - I am sure I could do something for Bwlch y Groes if there was the interest....!

« Reply #173 on: 30 July, 2014, 06:34:40 am »
There are three ways up it (one from the East as well) - a bit like Mont Ventoux.  Come to think of it there is a challenge for climbing Ventoux three ways - I am sure I could do something for Bwlch y Groes if there was the interest....!

Could be quite convoluted to get all three sides done though ! Can think of eg Llanuwchllyn> BYG north> Vyrnwy> Hirnant>Bala>Dolgellau> Cross Foxes> Dinas> BYG south> Llanuwchllyn ---which would be a about 110km / 2000m ascent I`d estimate, but how to fit in east climb from Vyrnwy  ???

« Reply #174 on: 30 July, 2014, 09:12:43 am »
"Bwlch three goes" sounds like a cracking challenge!