Author Topic: Is it wrong to just own one bike  (Read 13711 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Is it wrong to just own one bike
« Reply #25 on: 20 November, 2018, 07:25:42 am »
https://azub.eu/recumbent-bikes-and-trikes/extreme-line/origami/

Azub Origami, but it's nowhere near as small as a Brommie when folded.
Several trikes offer folds, plus the now defunct ICE B1 and B2. 

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #26 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:49:11 am »
Fast = My Reilly but surely it very much depends on how fit one is
Comfortable = My Reilly with my Infinity saddle
Good off-road = My Reilly with some gravel tyres
Handles well when fully loaded = My Reilly
Unlikely to get nicked = My Reilly, e.g. don't leave it anywhere unattended for more than an hour, e.g. coffee stop (and get a cafe lock)
Folds small enough = Do you need to fold it (unless you're commuting on a train in rush hour I guess?)

I'm almost there with my Reilly (just not the 'small enough to cope with trains' bit, but then that's not an issue for me fortunately).
Still in the honeymoon period? How long that lasts is a testament to how good a bike is, but I've never known it last for ever.  Some caution is advisable, try not to say anything now that makes the justification for a new bike harder when the time comes.  Unless that's the intention?  Having the only bike/s I'll ever need has never stopped me from wanting another and the inability to distinguish want from need is what keeps the cycle industry afloat.

« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:54:27 am »
The most important aspect of multiple bicycle ownership is CONTINGENCY.

If I only had one, I'd lay awake at night fearing what I'd do if it had a mechanical issue I wasn't able to fix quickly.

« Reply #28 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:58:15 am »
Fast = My Reilly but surely it very much depends on how fit one is
Comfortable = My Reilly with my Infinity saddle
Good off-road = My Reilly with some gravel tyres
Handles well when fully loaded = My Reilly
Unlikely to get nicked = My Reilly, e.g. don't leave it anywhere unattended for more than an hour, e.g. coffee stop (and get a cafe lock)
Folds small enough = Do you need to fold it (unless you're commuting on a train in rush hour I guess?)

I'm almost there with my Reilly (just not the 'small enough to cope with trains' bit, but then that's not an issue for me fortunately).

Still in the honeymoon period? How long that lasts is a testament to how good a bike is, but I've never known it last for ever.  Some caution is advisable, try not to say anything now that makes the justification for a new bike harder when the time comes.  Unless that's the intention?  Having the only bike/s I'll ever need has never stopped me from wanting another and the inability to distinguish want from need is what keeps the cycle industry afloat.

No honeymoon period.  Been cycling for 6 years now and every time I've bought a new bike I've broken up the old one and sold off the parts because the new bike supersedes the old one in my eyes.

I'm at a point in my cycling life now where all I want to do is cycle roads and the odd gravel path.  I've got a 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1200km booked in for next year and I can't see why I need another bike for that.  Either that or I'm just a bit weird.

« Reply #29 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:59:30 am »

If I only had one, I'd lay awake at night fearing what I'd do if it had a mechanical issue I wasn't able to fix quickly.

But why would you need to fix it quickly unless you had an Audax coming up?

« Reply #30 on: 20 November, 2018, 11:13:17 am »

Some shops do courtesy bikes but I don't think it's a widespread practice.

« Reply #31 on: 20 November, 2018, 11:19:19 am »

From time to time, I just like to ride my bike(s).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 20 November, 2018, 11:30:27 am »

You might need it get to a place. Work or somewhere.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 20 November, 2018, 11:43:02 am »
I would suggest that an Airnimal Rhino might be closer to Kim's requirements ....

Agree that an Airminal Joey is as close as I've got to a one-bike solution.  It can handle most things reasonably well, including loaded touring.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #34 on: 20 November, 2018, 11:52:45 am »
No honeymoon period. 
Yes, that's what people in the honeymoon period say... If you're still saying it in ten years then you'll be unusual, though certainly not unique.
You've started a thread with the idea that it'll somehow be controversial, it isn't.  You have what you need for now, that's great.  If you think there's no possibility that could ever change, you're a fool.  Is that argumentative enough for you?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 20 November, 2018, 01:26:03 pm »
I doubt that my tandem can adequately substitute for any of my solo bikes and vice versa.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 20 November, 2018, 01:43:50 pm »
Azub Origami, but it's nowhere near as small as a Brommie when folded.

For a brief period you could buy bolt-on recumbent kits for Bromptons. They still fold pretty small.

Probably ticks every box while being terrible at all of them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 20 November, 2018, 01:45:30 pm »
The Neuss recumbent kit rides surprisingly well, considering the limited gear range of the SWB Brommies.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #38 on: 20 November, 2018, 01:48:17 pm »
It's fine only to own one bike. But please tell us how you manage to do it?
By not using it (or thinking of it) as his main mode of transport, I think.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 20 November, 2018, 01:58:03 pm »
It's a nice idea to be able to have only one bike. I have a few, but 2 of them are "projects" I'm restoring, & there's a Brompton etc... But 99% of the miles I've ridden have been on the one bike. But I have 3 sets of wheels for it. In winter I have a set of studs on one set of wheels, and this year GP 4 seasons on another, and Marathon's on the final set. Having the spare wheels gives me a higher chance of the bike being ready to ride at any given point. This bike is my race bike, my audax bike, my commuter bike. I'm hoping to have a new bike soon, so I don't have to stress so much about waking up one morning to find that the bike isn't in a ridable condition and I have to take the tram to work...

I've pondered getting another set of wheels, that can take 67mm tyres for off roading, the bike has clearance for it...

How many bikes you need, comes down to your acceptable level of risk that you can't ride on a given day due to a mechanical, or how fast you think you can get a replacement if it was nicked.

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #40 on: 20 November, 2018, 02:38:11 pm »
It's fine only to own one bike. But please tell us how you manage to do it?
By not using it (or thinking of it) as his main mode of transport, I think.

Correct - I drive to work during the week, use the car on Saturday for various chores and use my bike on a group ride on Sunday so the amount of time spent on said bike is probably very low compared to some - which might go some way to explaining why I only have one bike maybe?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 20 November, 2018, 02:45:26 pm »
Makes sense.  When your bike is your main mode of transport, a second bike makes a lot of sense (both faff and cost wise) as a backup option.  Given that it won't be doing backup duty very often, it's reasonable to optimise it for something slightly different to your main bike (be that folding, speed, off-road riding or whatever), so you have reason to use and maintain it.

« Reply #42 on: 20 November, 2018, 02:45:46 pm »
I would suggest that an Airnimal Rhino might be closer to Kim's requirements ....

Agree that an Airminal Joey is as close as I've got to a one-bike solution.  It can handle most things reasonably well, including loaded touring.

My next small flat solution after only having one bike was to have two- An Airnimal Joey and a Brompton which was- up to a point- a good solution. Used the Joey for commuting, general riding, touring (once)

Unfortunately I did a time trial on the Joey and I liked it so within a short time I had a road bike and, a little later, a TT bike, stuffed into the bathroom.

And then I took up cyclocross.

So that Airnimal Joey was directly responsible for bike proliferation in my case.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 20 November, 2018, 02:47:58 pm »

Correct - I drive to work during the week, use the car on Saturday for various chores and use my bike on a group ride on Sunday so the amount of time spent on said bike is probably very low compared to some - which might go some way to explaining why I only have one bike maybe?

So if we were to rephrase the original question:

"Is it wrong to have only one method of personal transport?"

You don't have 1, you have 2, a car, and a bike. So you can get to work if one of them isn't working.

For many of us, cycling is our only form of private transport, so having more than one bike, so we can still get to work is important.

It's a different use case.

Ride safe.

J
--

« Reply #44 on: 20 November, 2018, 03:00:59 pm »
So that Airnimal Joey was directly responsible for bike proliferation in my case.

Indeed!  In my case is was the other way around - my 5th bike, bought to tick the "folding" box.  But, if I were starting out and was limited to one only...   ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #45 on: 20 November, 2018, 03:26:16 pm »

Any reason you don't ride to work, or use your bike for your Saturday chores?

« Reply #46 on: 20 November, 2018, 03:32:55 pm »

Any reason you don't ride to work, or use your bike for your Saturday chores?

There is nowhere safe to lock my bike up at work and I couldn't fit my family on the back of it on Saturdays.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 20 November, 2018, 03:35:56 pm »
There is nowhere safe to lock my bike up at work and I couldn't fit my family on the back of it on Saturdays.

If you had a Brompton, you could fold it up and put it under your desk or in the staff locker room.

If you had a bakfiets, you could take the family shopping...

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 20 November, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »
If you had a car, you could park it at work and lock your bike in it.

« Reply #49 on: 20 November, 2018, 03:39:58 pm »

If you had a Brompton, you could fold it up and put it under your desk or in the staff locker room.

If you had a bakfiets, you could take the family shopping...

J

Too far for a Brompton.  I had to google bakfiets lol.  I can just see my wife sitting in one of those!  ;D