Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286441 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Finally got stuck into Big Little Lies (season one) this weekend. It’s good but after four out of seven episodes, I’m pretty sure I’ve got the whodunnit* sussed - since working it out in ep2, I’ve been spotting dirty great clues all over the place...

Anyway, this is not spoiling my enjoyment of it because it’s very entertaining - funny, well written and well acted, if not especially groundbreaking. Reese Witherspoon is especially wonderful.

*more accurately the whogetsdone - I have a feeling the whodoesit will not necessarily be the obvious... That’s the twist! But I have my theories about that too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

I really ought to revisit it.  I watched the first season and was mostly left disappointed that it wasn't the modern reboot of Babylon 5 that it superficially resembles.

I quite enjoy The Expanse, but like anything with a series of books, I sort of expect it to be cancelled at the most inopportune point.

If you want really bad sci-fi though, so bad it's actually just bad, try Another Life, which I managed one entire episode at the weekend, and it really was one more than I wished. It starts off as an Arrival-lite with an alien spaceship arriving on Earth to do something mysterious and might be quite promising. It isn't.

Firstly, they set off to visit the aliens, really on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. Led by that woman off Battlestar Galactica whose acting ability seems mainly confined to running around in a bra top and flexing her abs while looking like she might be trying to deal with a prolonged bout of constipation. She leaves her immensely stupid husband behind the Arrival communicate-with-the-aliens bit (which you think they may have sussed out before hopping in a spaceship) and deal with their kid, and like all men, of course, he had no idea how to raise a child. His main strategy for communicating with the aliens seems to combine pigeon sounds and classical music.

The mission to the aliens has a crew of halfwits (so halfwitted that they give the crew of Prometheus a run for their money) that look like they're from reality TV central casting led by Captain Unsuitable, recently usurped for the mission by Captain Constipation. They just happen to have an FTL spaceship sitting in a garage somewhere, despite the rest of the technology pegged pretty much to what I have sitting on my desk now. Possibly I to have an FTL space ship in the garage, behind the old Ikea furniture and the ladder.

None of the crew of halfwits seem to have been on a spaceship before and have an average age of about 20. Remember this is a critical first contact mission. One plays on social media all day, the others compete to look the most vacant while wearing the strappy tops and heels that will shortly become de riguer for space missions. They'll probably have sex with each other at some point, but it's hard to really care, it's like predicting the sex lives of rabbits. Anyway, they manage to mutiny in episode one because Captain Unsuitable is just that and, of course, him and Captain Abs have some history. Anyway, they make a wrong turn in space because of 'dark matter' (which despite not interacting with anything you can't fly a spaceship through) so have to slingshot around a sun by going 'into orbit' around the sun. I'm not exactly an expert on angular momentum, but I don't think that's the best plan. Also, FTL drive. Either have a magic device or play by the science rules. And writers, have a clue, this shit is on Wikipedia.

There's a holographic AI to look after this school outing. He manages to look suitably horrified. Whether that's because of the crew or he's murdered his agent isn't made clear in episode 1.

It's seriously so bad I feared I may have imagined it, but Google says its real.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
SOunds like the usual a bit of this and a bit of that and shake 'em up, no-one will notice, they'll be too busy looking forward to the next local shooting spree.

Thinking of junking Netflux anyway, the amount of pure shite the push at you is amazing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just tried ep. 1 of it.  Ian, I admire your fortitude. The first minute had me wishing for a puke bucket.

Otherlife, OTOH, ain't bad.

ian

It's the sense of morbid fascination that somehow pulls you in. Does it get even worse? You go through brief stages where you think, no, this is rock bottom, and then out of nowhere there's yet another plunge on the roller coaster of awful.

From reading the reviews, it doesn't get any better (if anything worse), and they somehow managed to put together ten entire episodes of this dreck without someone calling time.

Still, at the least special effects budget was pegged somewhere below the catering bill.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just watched a trailer for a thing called The Rook in which a woman with thick catarrh and/or bad orthodonty seemed to say "Mother, as long as my husband falls enslaved, you know I always have the option of watching the semis" (or maybe "the tennis"). Gripping.

And another for The Expanse.  Someone needs to tell them that ships with gravity generators don't need other bits that rotate to simulate it.

ian

I don't think the ships in The Expanse have gravity 'generators' – it's acceleration.

(In a relativistic headnoodler, there is really no difference between gravity and acceleration.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Aye, you're right - just had a gargle. Must've been some other space opera.  They have mag boots, though, don't they?

ian

To fit the exigencies of production, they do seem to spend a lot of time accelerating at 1g, which means they'd be zipping about (and using a lot of reaction mass).

Constant 1g acceleration would get you to Jupiter in a week (if you weren't bothered with slowing down). A year at 1g gets you to 99.9% the speed of light.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
If you have a near-infinite amount of reaction mass.  But then Epstein drives burn efficiency so maybe they only need a seed amount to get them going.  I like Liu Cixin's curvature drive. Runs on bath soap.

I can't seem to find a thread for "The Expanse" anywhere.  We must have a few fans.  Season 4 on Amazon in December.  Based on "Cibola Burn".   Trailers below.

https://youtu.be/kNIim3xqsEU

https://youtu.be/uEENk6_XFoA

A much longer segment, with the Roci travelling back asswards for deceleration  :thumbsup:      She then lands on Ilus ?  Don't recall that from the book, but it's been a while. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LrZiNOvp_c&frags=pl%2Cwn

(sheepish edit, paste the damn link in)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
.  Cyclist and musician Ben Weaver rides the Tour Divide route.  Get in quick coz it's only available on Vimeo for another few hours, otherwise you'll have to go to a screening in a bike shop in Montana.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Blake's 7 episodes are available on yewtoob.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

To fit the exigencies of production, they do seem to spend a lot of time accelerating at 1g, which means they'd be zipping about (and using a lot of reaction mass).

Constant 1g acceleration would get you to Jupiter in a week (if you weren't bothered with slowing down). A year at 1g gets you to 99.9% the speed of light.
The plot makes a lot of their accelerating - the need to fasten things down is a major plot device (and what happens when that isn't done).
There is one big ship with a rotating hull and in the last series that becomes important, when no ship can move to simulate 'g' (no spoilers). It's actually quite good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
.  Cyclist and musician Ben Weaver rides the Tour Divide route.  Get in quick coz it's only available on Vimeo for another few hours, otherwise you'll have to go to a screening in a bike shop in Montana.
It's still on Vimeo now. I thought it verged on emotional slush at moments, but nevertheless I enjoyed it. And what an idea!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
All the same, films like that make me wish I'd got into the long-distance lark 40 years earlier.

I used to make up poetry on long solo rides, but it wasn't the kind you could recite in front of your maiden aunts.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Any sort of poetry is impressive, I've never got beyond singing to myself. And it it wasn't a solo ride to start with, it soon became one!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I am sitting in Mrs Wow’s sister’s lounge. The television is on. It must be many years since I have been in attendance when a television drama has been broadcast. I really can’t remember it has been so long - maybe as much as 20 years. The one thing I have noticed is how sweary  they have become.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I am sitting in Mrs Wow’s sister’s lounge. The television is on. It must be many years since I have been in attendance when a television drama has been broadcast. I really can’t remember it has been so long - maybe as much as 20 years. The one thing I have noticed is how sweary  they have become.

You can easily tell if it's 20 years or more by whether you're wondering what's happened to the cameraperson's tripod.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Hill Street Blues.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

You can easily tell if it's 20 years or more by whether you're wondering what's happened to the cameraperson's tripod.

???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

???

At some point in the late 90s, molishers of British television drama became obsessed with using handheld cameras for 'intimate' wobbly footage, in a manner akin to USAnian series Jaded refers to (I don't think I ever saw it).  This Life came out in 1996, and the effect was striking.  Within a couple of years they were all doing it.

The trend has since died down, with tripods returning to more 'serious' drama, though it's frequently used for dramatic effect, and remains popular on lower budget productions.

A contender for all-time best rock star quote

I was so surprised I almost dropped my syringe

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
In which case it may be a much longer period.

Thinking back, the only television drama I ever actually watched, as opposed to sat in the same room as and mostly ignored, was Pride and Prejudice. My older daughter would have been in her early teens when that was on, I think. She is now 38.