Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163485 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #325 on: 29 December, 2008, 06:18:41 pm »
THat's a different rear wheel, isn't ti, Chris?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #326 on: 02 January, 2009, 11:34:00 pm »
*rocks back and forth in a deranged manner*

Bloody gears...bloody gears....why won't you index properly...damn you...argh

Got around to replacing freewheel block, chain and derailleur on Eclipse (making it into a 7-speed)

All said components are now on the bike. But all is not well. Several things, actually. *twitches*

Methinks I will take it to Brixton Cycles tomorrow and let them sort it before I drive myself loopy (or start thinking about fixing it  :o ) I gave it a damn good try, the dog will testify.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #327 on: 02 January, 2009, 11:53:51 pm »
Isn't yours a Shimano Nexus hub, NSTN?

I have one in the garage on a Ridgeback. ISTR that it's easy to get the cable lying in the wrong place at the hub end.

For my part, I have relaid some bar-tape and (hooray) put the left SPD pedal back on the Mercian. I replaced it with a rat-trap pedal some months ago because my arthritis was making it painful to clip in and out. Now my ankle's a lot better.

« Reply #328 on: 03 January, 2009, 12:01:34 am »
The Nexus is on the Globe, which does very well for flattish city riding and has given me no trouble yet.

The Eclipse (the mixte) has derailleur gears, which I had thoroughly worn out.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #329 on: 03 January, 2009, 12:11:53 am »
(whispers) Down tube shifters...

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #330 on: 03 January, 2009, 07:30:55 am »
*rocks back and forth in a deranged manner*

Bloody gears...bloody gears....why won't you index properly...damn you...argh

I gave it a damn good try, the dog will testify.

That dog is a) biased and b) unknowledgable about any gear system post benelux.....  :)
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #331 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:42:06 am »
What are you whispering about my DT shifters, Wow? I am rather fond of them these days; replacing cables is a doddle for one thing.

Have just got back from BC with perfectly fettled bike. Turns out I should also have replaced the little bit of housing because it was not letting the cable run smoothly so all my 'fine-tuning' was in vain; they also added a spacer to stop the chain fouling the frame with the extra cog squeezed in. Perhaps I would have realised this if I had not been in a state of 'post-flu', but probably not.

Here's a funny thing though; this twit has done herself out of her lowest gear. I could have sworn my biggest cog on the original block was 28 and bought the new freewheel block accordingly; when I compared the two I realised the biggest one on the old block is 32 and it is written on it and everything, what is wrong with me?! So apologies in advance to whoever happens to be near me on the next hill; I expect the Tourettes will return as I bemoan the loss of those four teeth.

(Jasper, the dog would like you to know that she knows as much about gears as Mr Legg's cat knows about the weather. In actual fact she went and cowered in the hallway, because the noise and sight of the wheel spinning as I tested the gears was freaking her out greatly, and only came back once I had put the bike and tools to one side. Wimp.)

« Reply #332 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:44:29 am »
Oh and on the plus side, I got the freewheel off on my own when I didn't think I would. I think it's cos I hadn't gone up any really big hills since it was last off so it hadn't got too tight.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #333 on: 03 January, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »
Fitted a new front light. And defrosted the freezer. Then filled it with icecream, Arctic Roll and frozen berries!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #334 on: 03 January, 2009, 03:55:21 pm »
Put raceblades on the Giant.

Put lights on the tourer for commuting until new chain for the Pompino arrives.

« Reply #335 on: 03 January, 2009, 04:37:10 pm »
Finished fine tuning my mudguards attached to an old racer.
Feeling smug about his as using the knowledge from here have managed this when I would have normally used race blades.Plus up raated the brakes.Also fitted my tesco cree light to the bike  ;D but have yet to solve the rattle ???. More strapping needed,I think.
Tomorrow out at last but its a bit on the chilly side here.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #336 on: 03 January, 2009, 04:42:11 pm »
One of the fittings of my front rack came loose on this morning's ride - it had stripped the thread.  Quickly replaced with a new bolt (after an age rootling through the nut and bolt tin in a freezing cold garage to find something which fitted  :-[).

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #337 on: 03 January, 2009, 04:50:36 pm »
Fitted tyres and cassette to my new wheels. Trued another wheel. Test ride and retruing tomorrow.

« Reply #338 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:06:31 pm »
Changed the tyres around.  Cleaned and now polishing the MonstaThorn.  I read it in C+ that this is a good trick to keep the muck from sticking to the bike.
I'll give it a go.  This is only for the winter bike mind, not the carbon beauty.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #339 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »
Gears on the Twenty. Had to keep tension on the grip to stop it going in to neutral, had a twiddle with the adjuster & now all is perfect (by luck, rather than judgement). Still ludicrously overgeared, though.

If I could stop it doing it's slightly unnerving corkscrewing motion in a straight line, that'd be good.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #340 on: 03 January, 2009, 09:51:04 pm »
Here's a funny thing though; this twit has done herself out of her lowest gear. I could have sworn my biggest cog on the original block was 28 and bought the new freewheel block accordingly; when I compared the two I realised the biggest one on the old block is 32 and it is written on it and everything, what is wrong with me?! So apologies in advance to whoever happens to be near me on the next hill; I expect the Tourettes will return as I bemoan the loss of those four teeth.

Ah, but don't forget how very much stronger a rider you are now than you were - you will probably sail up the hills all the faster ;D
Getting there...

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #341 on: 08 January, 2009, 07:11:00 pm »
Did some more work on the old Galaxy frame that Gandalf gave to yellow-cietidh. Borrowed front wheel from Mrs Chris' Roberts and back wheel from my Dave Yates and used bits from Katies old GT and the spares box. Had it in a rideable state when Katie got home from school, so she had a quick ride up and down the Close a few times. Katie liked it, but said it was a lot twitchier than her GT, especally when out of the saddle. It needs a few minor tweaks that will be better done in daylight.

Before adjusting the seat angle (I built it up on the turbo trainer and used a spirit level on the saddle, forgetting that the back wheel was off the ground  ???).

Still need to -

1.  Buy some wheels. Either CR18s on Deore hubs from SJS or Endevours on Deore hubs from SPA.

2.  Fit rack.

3.  Fit bar tape.

4.  Buy and fit mudguards.

5.  Fit computer.

6.  Fit lights.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #342 on: 08 January, 2009, 07:16:40 pm »
Fettled 7 school kids bikes, surprisingly all in very good form. Ok a few of them where x-mas new so not much work to do. But there was a first for me, at a school, a headset that was on to tight !?!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #343 on: 11 January, 2009, 06:40:41 pm »
Front mudguard broke today....so will be sorting that out...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #344 on: 11 January, 2009, 06:59:06 pm »
Took the back roller brake (now b0rked by the wrong type of snow lube) off the commuting bike.  (Ordered a new one from teh webs - and a portion of the right kind of grease.)
Fettled front and rear canti brakes on the Super Galaxy, which will now have to stand in as conveyance of choice to work.

Tried, and failed, to take a photo of self for my Fay's Book profile.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #345 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:44:28 pm »
A successful weekend in the SEEKRIT BUNKER.  Lovely new carbon forks for the Thorn Cyclosportif (at last), a temporary new front wheel for the fixer and a new gear cable for Liz's bike.

I do so like a good fettle  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #346 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:27:48 pm »
Serviced the summer bike.. Basically, this was cleaning the drivetrain and checking the gearing.

I also sorted out the toolkit and bits for my commuter bike.  didn't bother cleaning that, though.

« Reply #347 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:31:28 pm »
I went out riding ;)

Although in order to do that I had to fit a new spoke to my bike, cos I found one broken when I was giving it the once over yesterday. Amazingly I actually had one spare spoke of the correct length :thumbsup:
Plan B was to use the pompino

« Reply #348 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:39:21 pm »
Tonsillitis is a great spur to stay indoors and feel sorry for oneself *coughs pathetically*

« Reply #349 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:05:06 pm »
Tonsillitis is a great spur to stay indoors and feel sorry for oneself *coughs pathetically*

Awww poor love. Have some chicken soup and keep well wrapped up ;D.

I suffer from tonsilitis regularly, horrible isn't it