Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163357 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #625 on: 10 May, 2009, 12:48:20 pm »
I've removed the STi levers and fitted bar end gear changers - a fiddly job.

Unfortunately, I didn't fit the brakes before I fitted the levers, so now I need to dismantle it all again.

I'm pathetic, and grumpy.

Just cast your mind back to a more carefree time...

...and you'll soon feel better.  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #626 on: 10 May, 2009, 06:03:51 pm »
I've counter-sunk the drillium on the jockey wheels and polished them.
Cleaned and polished the rear cluster.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #627 on: 12 May, 2009, 07:07:48 pm »
A grub screw with a threadless section and a screwdriver slot, fettled from a machine screw of the correct thread form, M2
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #628 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:55:12 pm »
Changed the entire drivetrain on the Brompton.  54T chainring, 15T sprocket, Tacx sealed bearing jockey wheels, 102 (!) link SRAM PC-1 chain.

The jockey wheels actually do make a difference, as does fine-tuning them into line with the sprocket by juggling the spacing washers around.

More importantly, fitting a 13T sprocket and taking one complete link out of the chain gives a 67" middle gear and 77" top gear for the BWC.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #629 on: 12 May, 2009, 10:54:01 pm »
I've installed tri bars onto the OCR4 for the BCM.  No worries.
I had to move several bar attachments in order to do so.  No worries.
When replacing the bar attachments I found I needed two holes drilled into the Topeak Bar-Xtender metal strap so I went next door and my father in law obliged.  He has the tools.  No worries.
When leaving his back door was caught in the wind and slammed shut on my little finger.  Fcuk I said.  Followed by many more.  I felt rather weak at the knees.  I run it under water to stop the bleeding or at least to stem it.  It is not good.  I had to wait an hour before my family came home.
Mrs G felt sick looking at it.  The nail has been pushed into the finger.  There is a flap of finger running along the length of the last digit.  It has white stuff inside it.
We decided not to go and waste away in A&E as we don't think they can do much more than we have.
I will have to wait and see what happens.
Gauze to protect it and then a waterproof condom type sheath over the top to protect and catch the blood.
Fcuk.

You can tell how bad it is as Mrs G suggested I leave the unfinished fettled bike in the kitchen overnight !!!  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #630 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:49:31 am »
GruB, I am a bit concerned about your finger.
You might have an open (compound) fracture of the fingertip and your nailbed may need repair.
Some centre prescribe antibiotics for this kind of injury.
Fingertip injuries need to be managed properly, to prevent complications, especially in people with diabetes.
I know it's a time-consuming PITA but
GET YOURSELF TO A&E ASAP!

« Reply #631 on: 13 May, 2009, 06:11:56 am »
GruB, I am a bit concerned about your finger.
You might have an open (compound) fracture of the fingertip and your nailbed may need repair.
Some centre prescribe antibiotics for this kind of injury.
Fingertip injuries need to be managed properly, to prevent complications, especially in people with diabetes.
I know it's a time-consuming PITA but
GET YOURSELF TO A&E ASAP!

It does not feel good.  I will go into work with Mrs G this morning.  The main nurse from our local practise will be there so I will let her assess me.

« Reply #632 on: 13 May, 2009, 08:06:16 am »
You know what she'll say don't you..

Anyway, replaced the hanger on my mountain bike yesterday and fitted a new XT mech, as my bike/log interface incident last week not only snapped the hanger off, it ripped the little tab off the top of the mech that prevents it rotating when mounted on the hanger.

I also whipped out the bottom backet, which now has a little side-to-side play developing, ready to fit the brand new 118mm ES51 that I had bought.  Unfortunately the one I removed was a 121mm, needed so the small ring clears the suspension linkage.  Doh!  Back in with the old one pending the order I just placed with the Woolly Hat Shop for a 121.

« Reply #633 on: 13 May, 2009, 02:56:38 pm »
I've just built the front of Mrs Barker's birthday wheels to go with her swanky new Santa Cruz Juliana frame.  32h DT Swiss XR4.2D rims on XT hubs with DT double butted spokes.  It's a beaut.  Can't be arsed to build the rear though - I'll do it tomorrow.  YACF and a tinnie is easier, and her birthday isn't until the 29th!

« Reply #634 on: 13 May, 2009, 03:32:53 pm »

The jockey wheels actually do make a difference, as does fine-tuning them into line with the sprocket by juggling the spacing washers around.

Thanks, now you've mentioned it, I'll take a look at my tensioner as I'm sure it could do with a bit of tweaking to
get a cleaner chain line.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #635 on: 13 May, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »
Just fitted a new Open Pro CD rim to the rear wheel.  Took my time over it and it's laterally true and the dishing is spot on.  A couple of mm out radially but not enough to bother with.  It's just survived it's first  100k run over some poor roads and is fine.  Big  :thumbsup: for Roger Masson's wheelbuilding book!
Sheep we're off again.

« Reply #636 on: 13 May, 2009, 03:51:31 pm »
  Big  :thumbsup: for Roger Masson's wheelbuilding book!

Ho yus.  (It's Musson btw)

It is superb, by far the best pratical guide to wheelbuilding.

Wheel building : Hope Hoops, Notubes ZTR, books, guide, courses for anyone who doesn't know.

Come to think of it, I'll drop Roger an email and try to get him on here.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #637 on: 13 May, 2009, 08:11:40 pm »
Put the push along lawn mower back together with the axle supporting one of the trailing wheels spot welded back into place.

Puncture repaired one of the local youfs Halfrauds BMX-alike bike. I didn't have a spare tube in the right size so it was 4 patches before the tube was air tight again.

Had to dig out the socket set and an extension bar to remove the stunt pegs ... it was a bit like mending a car!

« Reply #638 on: 13 May, 2009, 10:52:47 pm »
I finished playing cricket only to find that my rear tyre appeared to have no air in it, so I fixed that on a train between Chessington and Clapham
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #639 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:39:53 am »
Fitted new tube in the Brommie. Unfortunately, Marathon Pluses are not Nail/stapling gun nail proof.  :(
Though I'm sure it did all in it's power to resist it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #640 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:42:47 am »
Fettling hint: Don't try to fit your tyres with a nail gun ;)

You're unfortunate.  My M+ coped with a long industrial staple.  The only reason I knew it was there was the noise as it repeatedly bashed the seatstay. 
Getting there...

« Reply #641 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:47:08 am »
It had hardly bent (non peyronie) so it was still around an inch long, and so it had managed to puncture the tube
twice at 180° just to make doubly sure.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #642 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:02:17 pm »
Well my mate dropped round his girlfriends BSO.

Well fitted new gear cables as the gears weren't that good at changing and the cables were rusty, so thought that it would be the easiest way to get it to change well.  Was right and now changes really smoothly.  I also replaced the chain as it was in a really bad state with some of the side plates looked as if they were loose on the pins. :o

JJ

« Reply #643 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:20:48 pm »
Fitted the Blackburn rack for the child seat to the triplet, so I can collect sprogs plus their mate from a party tomorrow, while Helen takes the car to the Tri club open water session.  With the little ones in the trailer that'll be 6 people on one pedal-powered thing.

As you'd expect, most of the time went to finding a new place to put a back light.

« Reply #644 on: 15 May, 2009, 12:43:05 am »

« Reply #645 on: 17 May, 2009, 08:43:38 pm »
Gave up with the mudguards I had been trying to get to fit on my Trek1200 without rubbing. Although it has mudguard eyes there just isn't enough clearance under the forks or at the rear. I tried the cable tie thing and everything. Stuck the race blades back on and that will have to do. Now to give it a shakedown ride and get the brakes and shifters adjusted properly. Then I will have something else to ride other than the OnOne. Gears will be a novelty.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

gordon taylor

« Reply #646 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:31:45 pm »
I've finished some changes to the audax Longstaff to turn it, temporarily, into a light tourer.

Rear rack on instead of a saddlebag support.
STis replaced with bar end shifters - because I don't want to risk them being damaged on a plane.
Stem flipped to raise the bars.
Team Pro saddle fitted instead of the Titanium Swift.
A wheel swap round to fit a black rim/Hope hub combination instead of the Schmidt.
Marathon + tyres (25mm) fitted, replacing the Pasella TG.
Bar bag clamp fitted.

It's all ready! I'll ride it to work this week to make sure everything is fine.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #647 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:07:52 pm »
Oiled the nose of my Saddle. No more creak :thumbsup:

« Reply #648 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:58:04 pm »
I've changed the bandage on my finger.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #649 on: 17 May, 2009, 11:05:28 pm »
I removed the pedal from my left hand crank.  A little swarf came out so I went over the LBS and asked then to run the tap through it. The tap just pushed straight through  :(