Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2166747 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1400 on: 16 March, 2010, 07:46:47 pm »
Serviced the headset on the Carrera BSO (which wouldn't have been a BSO from new, but has been fitted with very iffy wheels).

I'm going to need an 8 speed indexed freewheel.  A rare item.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1401 on: 17 March, 2010, 01:03:47 pm »

« Reply #1402 on: 17 March, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »

I need to fit a new tyre and tube in a bit.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1403 on: 17 March, 2010, 02:32:57 pm »
lol

Bead lifted off, or sidewall failure? 

fess up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1404 on: 17 March, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »
lol

Bead lifted off, or sidewall failure?  

fess up.

Sidewall failure and the inner tube blew bubble gum. The wire was left exposed and had totally corroded away.

I'd received the tyres tightly folded and badly kinked. I don't think the beading had ever quite recovered from it.
(perils of the postal system)
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1405 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:12:04 pm »
I've taken out a pair of cotter pins today for the first time. I think I was lucky and they came out a lot easier than I was expecting from reading Sheldon's advice beforehand.

« Reply #1406 on: 17 March, 2010, 10:38:21 pm »
Cotter pins normally come out easily. It's only every now and then that you end up drilling them out and trying other drastic measures.

« Reply #1407 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:16:05 am »
I just mounted my rear Dinotte light onto the side of the rack, so I can use it on Saturday with the rack pack.  It's normal seatpost mounting is totally obscured by the pack.

I know it's on the wrong side, but I'm cycling into work with a pannier on the right hand side today, so I'll just use this as a test of the concept, and to make sure it stays in place.

I've now used up my stock of some of my small nuts and bolts, so I feel an order to Stagonset is about to occur!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1408 on: 18 March, 2010, 01:54:53 pm »
I've just put on new handle bars, tape and a mirror due to my "first off" on a pot hole.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1409 on: 18 March, 2010, 02:07:26 pm »
Just tweaked the toe-in on my Pedestrian Warning System, and am about to go out for a ride...

Update: bloody brakes still squealing like a bastard.  I give up.  At least it makes people think twice about stepping out in front of me.

« Reply #1410 on: 18 March, 2010, 02:21:54 pm »
Installed a big shiny pedestrian warning system on my handlebars.  It resounds with a very satisfying "ding dong".  Much to my dismay, no pedestrians put it to the test this morning.

« Reply #1411 on: 18 March, 2010, 02:59:16 pm »
I just mounted my rear Dinotte light onto the side of the rack, so I can use it on Saturday with the rack pack...
...I know it's on the wrong side, but I'm cycling into work with a pannier on the right hand side today, so I'll just use this as a test of the concept, and to make sure it stays in place. ...

It mostly worked, although when it's on the left hand side, since I tend to push the bike from that side when walking, it's very easy to knock.  This shouldn't really be a problem on Saturday, since I'll move it to the right, but I bet it can still get knocked when leaning the bike against stuff.

The vertical alignment is pretty much rock solid, but the horizontal can move a bit when knocked.  It seems to stay where it's put, but I may need to see if I can slip a serrated washer in to limit any movement a bit more.

« Reply #1412 on: 18 March, 2010, 05:22:13 pm »
Serviced my neighbour Mel's very nice Rocky Mountain full susser.  First 20 minutes was spent cleaning the cassette - solid crud concreted in between the cogs  :sick:

Once things were clean enough to work on it was't too bad.  Pringled rear wheel to be trued, loose rear Deore hub bearings fettled and muddy water replaced with fresh grease (but no pitting - those hubs are incredibly robust things) - bit of lube through the freehub - lubed cables - adjusted gears - fixed a minor warp in the rear brake disc - cleaned out dust seals on the Fox forks.  

It's now riding like new and Mrs Tewdric has her riding partner back!  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1413 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:08:47 pm »
I dismantled some bikes, and then I removed and replaced the wheel on the Very Lovely Valencia for absolutely no reason.  I just wanted to do forst time around it at the Rescue, in the warm with many tools and other (competent) people around to sort it out if I fubared it, as I haven't encountered security skewers or disk brakes before.

It was reasonably easy.  Next time I'm going to attempt removing wheel, removing tyre and then putting it all back together again - I have a sneaking suspicion that these tyres are going to be an absolute pig. I think I want to be sure I have a spare tube to hand in case I pinch it!

« Reply #1414 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:03:03 pm »
I just replaced the middle chainring on the Kaffenback, since it's done something over 6500 miles, and the tooth were rather sharp!  Since I only occasionally use the other two rings, they're in perfectly good condition.

It proved remarkably difficult, and in the end I had to take the small chainring off as well, just to get enough room to move the middle one around and over the crank arm.  It turns out that putting chainrings on with the chainset sat in your lap is a lot easier than doing it on the bike, with the frame, chain, and other crank arm all managing to get in the way.  This Truvativ chainset needs two allen keys, one on either side, and inevitable one or the other always seems to be fouling something!

After that I tweaked the front changer slightly, and replaced the mount for the speedo, since the little bit that goes 'click' on the old one had fallen off, which meant that the computer wouldn't stay attached. :-\

I should be pretty much ready for my Saturday 200k run now, aside from switching the light mount over to the right hand side on Friday evening, once I'm home and the pannier doesn't need to be on that side any more.

The only trouble is, Sainsburys will now be closed by the time I get there, so I'll have to go out first thing for some milk for my wheatybangs tomorrow morning. >:(

« Reply #1415 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:04:40 pm »
New pressure relief valve for the shower.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1416 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:27:18 pm »
Mudguards and rack back on the Cannondale.  And lo!  I've found where the spiders were hiding.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1417 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:28:22 pm »
Cleaned the Dave Yates, and added some new Vittoria Rubinos as the Paselas are looking a little tired. 

border-rider

« Reply #1418 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:30:15 pm »
New forks on the TinOne, at last, and fitted the new front light.  Also new front brake blocks.  New BB, but that has to be changed again :(

Also put the correct sprocket back on...

Last week it had a new chainset, chain, back lights, saddlebag, bag support, back tyre and rear rim.  I even cleaned it today  :o

It looks tidy, for once.

« Reply #1419 on: 19 March, 2010, 03:38:14 pm »
Gave the Thorn a good wash to remove 5 months worth of filth. Very nice it looks too. :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1420 on: 19 March, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »
Fitted a front mudguard to the Scott MTB hack/tagalongmotivationforce, having removed it when I fitted the solid fork 2 weeks ago.  I couldn't fit it back then as 1) it needed a bracket bodging to allow the crown mount to drop the mudguard down far enough not to foul the brake and 2) I didn't have time :)

Gave the Ridley a quick wipe over and wiped a weeks worth of london road carp off the chain, crankset and freewheel
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1421 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:57:13 pm »
Changed the tyre and cleaned the freewheel of my singlespeed, then managed to drop one of the hub nuts. Spent 20 minutes in teh gathering dark and rain looking for it. Finally my son came out and spotted it in seconds ::-)

Replaced the wheel, pumped the tyre with a little help. Did you know that sharing a track pump with a five year old means it takes twice as long to inflate a tyre :-\. Then as I was putting the tools away came a hissing sound. "What's that noise Daddy?" Think the valve has separated from the tube  :facepalm: but that's a job for tomorrow.

« Reply #1422 on: 19 March, 2010, 07:22:30 pm »
Replaced: chain, cranks / chainset, cassette, BB cups & bearings.
Dismantled, serviced and re-assembled: freehub, jockey wheels.

It all works, but tomorrow I'll make it work sweetly.

Joining the two halves of the speed link on the blingtastic KMC chain was the most vexing thing I had to do today.  >:(

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1423 on: 19 March, 2010, 08:16:57 pm »
Tightened the spokes on my back wheel, it was making a funny noise on the last trip out.

Slackened off the chain slightly again, as it was binding. I had to tighten it when I was on the road last time, as it came loose while I was riding.

Did the nuts up nice and tight this time.

« Reply #1424 on: 19 March, 2010, 08:38:46 pm »
Rim tape added to my rebuilt front Hope hoop.