Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2162916 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1650 on: 16 May, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »
Put the final finishing touches to the Planet-X Ti Pro Road I'd been building up out of the remains of my old summer road bike. Yesterday was tape the bars, bolt the bottle cages on, fit the powertap computer mount and wiring loom.

Today I stuck a 12-21 cassette (9 speed) on the powertap wheel and took it for it's maiden voyage  :thumbsup:

I'd forgotten how much slicker ultegra is than 105 (at least in 9 speed versions). The shifting is sooooo nice  :)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1651 on: 16 May, 2010, 05:06:04 pm »
Added seat post and saddle to new frame.

Now has
Headset
Stem
Wheels
Seat post
and Prop stand.

Now back to work.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1652 on: 16 May, 2010, 07:22:46 pm »
Fiddled with my bottom bracket to try and cure a creaking under pressure.

Failed, due to the crap installation done by Planet X.  After looking at the expected components from the FSA web site, I'm missing a number of O seals and similar washers.  

Edit.

I've also found that as I've got carbon cranks, there should be pedal washers.  Guess what - they're not fitted either.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1653 on: 16 May, 2010, 07:56:45 pm »
Repainted an old stone chip on the frame that had started to rust :o  Took all back to bare metal then a couple of coats of Naval Jelly followed by 5 coats of matching Humbrol modelmakers paint.  (I still can't believe how good a match it is!)  

I have that joy always:being colour blind is not altogether a disadvantage ;)

In my case howeverr, being tone-deaf does not allow me watch programs such as the x-factor without suffering.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #1654 on: 16 May, 2010, 09:43:35 pm »
Fiddled with my bottom bracket to try and cure a creaking under pressure.

Failed, due to the crap installation done by Planet X.  After looking at the expected components from the FSA web site, I'm missing a number of O seals and similar washers. 

Oh dear, that is not good. I must take mine apart to have a look.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rdaviesb

« Reply #1655 on: 16 May, 2010, 09:44:35 pm »
Took the forlorn blue DRibble winter bike out of the shed. I've being thinking of selling it, but a quick wash, and the replacement of some of the crappy parts with less crappy ones from the parts box, has changed my mind. Flipping the stem so that the position pretty much matches my other machines had made it a lot more comfy, as has transplanting my original and very well worn in 1989 Brooks Colt onto it.

I'll be using it to commute across the Fylde when I don't fancy riding the Langster, or when the wind is howling so badly across the plain that I actually need gears. It'll get a test ride tomorrow morning.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1656 on: 16 May, 2010, 09:49:40 pm »
Emergency roadside fettling of my rear mudguard after one of Birmingham's finest stealth potholes caused one of my (admittedly cheap and nasty, but otherwise surprisingly dependable) panniers to partially unhook in such a way that the end of the mudguard was caught by the tyre.  The mudguard folded up, jammed the wheel and wreaked minor amounts of havoc with the wiring to the rear lights.  Luckily I managed to skid to a halt gracefully, while avoiding any traffic entanglements.  Typically, this happened about 3 minutes from home, after riding back from the AGM camping weekend.

Fortunately, I will be needing to invest in some proper panniers which are compatible with the thicker tubing of the SMGT's racks anyway, so I foresee something with an Ortlieb-style mounting in the near future...

« Reply #1657 on: 16 May, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »
I put a new roof on the garden shed. Also attached the new macerator to my Mum's loo. Very unlike me. I'm not great at DIY.

« Reply #1658 on: 17 May, 2010, 07:35:05 am »

Fitted the front seat / restpad / windscreen on the front, and the buggycarrier on the back. Despite the difference in size, in our circumstances, this bike can carry more than the Madsen with it's vast bucket.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1659 on: 17 May, 2010, 08:11:39 am »
Replaced the duct covers and insulation after repairing a mystery pinhole in the feed to the shower, titivated 2 steam engines, and gave one of them a run.  Oh, and on car maintenance, gave a a serious dose of looking at.  As in, yeah, well, its covered in bird shit, and its dirty, but hell, I'll go and fix a steam loco instead...
Wombat

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1660 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:13:01 am »

first oil change on my Rohloff hub, I had postponed it for a couple of months, since it only
have done about 1000 km, but what a difference some fresh oil makes.  :thumbsup:

switched pedals from  Time atacs to platform on my everyday hack.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1661 on: 17 May, 2010, 03:17:23 pm »
New electrics throughout on my Brompton: SON dynohub (front) feeding an IQ Cyo, and the spare (Standlichghtht) output of the Cyo now wired into the existing rear light.

However, that Standligchghtdght output seems to revert to zero of your Earth Volts as soon as the front wheel stops turning.  So I'll still use a Cateye rear light as well.

I now need to wait until darkness falls before taking this out for a test-ridelight.

Removed, and filed in the large black two-wheeled filing cabinet (the one the council send their minions round to collect every fortnight) the AXA bottle dynamo from the Brompton.

Spotted a broken spoke on the back wheel.  Chiz.  Not Chain side.  Woo-Hoo.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1662 on: 18 May, 2010, 10:14:13 am »
I've just cut and fitted the joists for the bike loft I am building. Living on a building site is very dusty and not good for bikes so this will keep them out of harm's way.  (From Mrs A's perspective they the joists for the ceiling over the temporary kitchen which is how I got to do it).  Shan't do any more today as I am off for a bike ride; it's been 2 weeks since I did more than just cycle into town.  Tomorrow I will put up more joists, this time for the bathroom ceiling and order 2m3 of sand for screed.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1663 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:42:00 pm »
Built a Brompton wheel for another YACF administrator, who will no doubt examine it with a practised eye and pronounce it crap  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1664 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:44:59 pm »
New electrics throughout on my Brompton: SON dynohub (front) feeding an IQ Cyo, and the spare (Standlichghtht) output of the Cyo now wired into the existing rear light.

However, that Standligchghtdght output seems to revert to zero of your Earth Volts as soon as the front wheel stops turning.

You need a rear lamp mit standlicht !!!

« Reply #1665 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:49:16 pm »
Adjusted bar angle and moved STI levers and reinstalled bar tape, then test rode and did the whole thing again, then test rode and did it again.

I am satisfied now.  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1666 on: 21 May, 2010, 12:26:37 am »
However, that Standligchghtdght output seems to revert to zero of your Earth Volts as soon as the front wheel stops turning.  So I'll still use a Cateye rear light as well.

Yeah, that's a feature.  The rear light output of the Cyo is switched by the Cyo's switch (or sensor gubbins if it's a senso model), but doesn't provide any standlight power - the rear light has to do that bit itself.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1667 on: 21 May, 2010, 06:36:22 am »
Whereas the Supernova E3 does power a rear standlight.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1668 on: 22 May, 2010, 02:11:14 pm »
Fitted a Record threadless headset.  Had trouble with the plastic part, but got it pressed down enough eventually wth fingernails.  Seems to work well, though I've yet to ride it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #1669 on: 22 May, 2010, 02:49:55 pm »
I have redone the bars, again, and the tape.  I think I have got it right this time.
I have also fitted a new rear gear cable to the TCR and outer and fitted a new Krylion on the rear.

« Reply #1670 on: 22 May, 2010, 03:08:35 pm »
Ran a b@st@rd file over the business surfaces of my Koolstop Salmons.

Cleaned and lubed the chain.

Polished the bike and gave all the non-black bits a thin coat of baby oil.

Going to the seaside tomorrow  :D.

rdaviesb

« Reply #1671 on: 22 May, 2010, 04:25:42 pm »
Finally finished rebuilidng the Mal Rees tourer. Hooked up new Canti brakes, having bought a job lot of stepped ferrules for the somewhat elderly frame. Piccies to follow.

« Reply #1672 on: 22 May, 2010, 05:43:36 pm »
Washed TCR too  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #1673 on: 22 May, 2010, 09:47:51 pm »
Built another Brompton wheel, this time for Mrs Z's bike because the factory wheel (with as much tension as a rubber band) had started breaking spokes.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1674 on: 23 May, 2010, 11:23:43 pm »
CTF committed bikicide.  Dawes 101 is no more.  The good bits that were added in an attempt to make a nice bike have joined the bits box.

New bike sprouted handle bars and brakes and shifter and derailleur. Still needs lots of work.  Mudguards need stays shortening.  Front done but back looks wonky. Need to get cable shortening/bleeding tools.