Author Topic: Broken mount.  (Read 1524 times)

Broken mount.
« on: 11 April, 2011, 08:48:12 am »
Has anybody else had problems,with handlebar and stem mounts breaking on Edge models?Mine break at the release tabs.Its really annoying because they are a bugger to get off once they have snapped off.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Broken mount.
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2011, 08:57:31 am »
I've read that older brackets used a weaker design, and that it has been improved.

You can buy replacements via eBay cheaply from a dealer in the USA.  I've got a feeling they're not genuine Garmin products, but they seem good anyway.  (I bought extras for extra bikes).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:11:02 am »
If we're talking 605/705, then yes, almost. One of mine has bent and is showing signs of fracturing. Maybe it's just me, but every model of Garmin I've owned has had an inadequate bike mount. I just don't think they test them thoroughly enough. I'd willingly (up to a point) pay more for a decently engineered bike mount!

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:30:14 am »
Mine's a 605 Edge and I thinks it's down to the plastic used.Its just to brittle.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:47:04 am »
It's down to the thickness as well.  The tab of older versions was thinner.

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:50:07 am »
You can buy replacements via eBay cheaply from a dealer in the USA.  I've got a feeling they're not genuine Garmin products, but they seem good anyway.  (I bought extras for extra bikes).

Ta, I'll be buying some spares to put in the toolkit. A broken GPS mount on a long Audax would be very annoying (and the spare only weighs a few grammes).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2011, 12:03:26 pm »
I remember seeing a website that illustrated the thin versus thicker tabs, but I can't find it now.

This is the seller I bought my extra brackets from.  I think the tabs are of the thicker variety.

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2011, 01:30:12 pm »
Thanks Biggsy,I've sent off for two.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2011, 01:41:10 pm »
Same here, another 705 with a broken release tab. The other less used mount is still ok. GPS bought in Oct 2008.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.