Author Topic: Declaration of in-tent: Bewl Water, Sussex, 24th - 27th October 2014  (Read 5612 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Declaration of in-tent: Bewl Water, Sussex, 24th - 27th October 2014
« Reply #50 on: 24 October, 2014, 01:11:27 pm »
Team Brum about to leave...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 24 October, 2014, 01:20:33 pm »
Team Procrastinate might be in a bit.
Getting there...

« Reply #52 on: 24 October, 2014, 01:21:45 pm »
I'm currently looking unlikely for even a flying visit but will see what happens. Hope you all have a jolly time.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 24 October, 2014, 01:52:22 pm »
I have lunched and will be away shortly. I will buy some milk en route, obv. so I have the capacity to make porridge and I will be bringing eggs. I shall get some honey and bread. Anyone else want stuff? There's an Asda near Tunbridge Wells. I think you all have my mob. no. Text me if you want anything.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #54 on: 24 October, 2014, 03:40:37 pm »
I have unintentionally parked on the M25, or should that be the A282? Haven' moved for quite some time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #55 on: 24 October, 2014, 04:51:59 pm »
Am now in T. Wells loading electrons, having discovered that I have left my waterproof at home.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 24 October, 2014, 08:38:38 pm »
Well, we all got here ok. It's quite mild at the moment, but the stars are visible,  so it could get cold overnight.   Some have eaten, some have gone shopping, and one baby has gone to bed.
Getting there...

« Reply #57 on: 24 October, 2014, 09:15:20 pm »
Have a lovely time everyone.  Lots of photo's for those of us who can't make it  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #58 on: 24 October, 2014, 09:35:35 pm »
Ditto ^^^^
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #59 on: 24 October, 2014, 09:42:48 pm »
I was singularly unimpressed on artival. I had phoned up a week or so ago and paid a deposit of £20 for two tents. Given that Mrs. Wow and Dez chose not to come, I thought that I would merely be required to pay the difference betwenn £20 and the cost of one small tent for two nights. However, the nefarious gits pocketed my £10 depost and demanded a further £14 for my small tent. I wouldn't have had any objection if our booking had kept someome out of a sought-after pitch, but we are in a mostly empty field in which Eeyore would feel at home.

« Reply #60 on: 24 October, 2014, 09:47:52 pm »
Not a site for our Christmas list then?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 25 October, 2014, 03:58:55 am »
Bladder o'clock. Everything is nicely wet, and the sky is being big.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #62 on: 25 October, 2014, 06:52:13 am »
Apart from the slope, I slept fairly well. I kept on finding myself a long way across the tent from where I started. I left an untouched mug of tea on the picnic table last night and so far my bladder hasn't complained.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #63 on: 25 October, 2014, 08:27:34 pm »
I'm home.

My decision to pack was mostly to do with the fact that today is Mrs. Wow's birthday. We had originally planned this as part of her celebrations, but when she returned, all acreak, from grandma duties, she declared an intention of sleeping in a bed for the foreseeable future. I just didn't feel comfortable without her on her birthday and, besides, my tent was pretty well dry so it seemed to be a pity to waste that.

Having made the booking, I really wanted to go so I set off. I knew it would be muddy and wet and I wasn't wrong. I didn't expect to be stung for both tents, I did enjoy the walk down to Bewl Water and the company was first-rate. I was shocked that whoever it is that owns Bewl Water sees fit to charge £4 per adult to enter via the road, when there are public footpaths that are accessible for nothing. Kim and Barakta fell victim of this scam.

We had lunch at the café there, and it was OK. However, there was nothing else on offer for the £4 entry fee. Everything else had to be paid for and if you didn't want to hire a boat, do some fly-fishing or hire a bike then you were pretty well out of luck. We decided that we had had enough of walking, since three of us were suffering to one extent or another, so when Kim & Barakta drove back to the camp site, I accompanied them as I have a child seat in our car, intending to return with it for the other four. I had worked out a cunning plan, involving going in the back way, to avoid negotiating with some jobsworth my way out of a £4 fee just for the privilege of picking up my friends. This worked pretty well until I realised, on approaching the entrance for the first time, that there were large road signs insisting that all vehicles turn left and go past the man in the hut. I ignored this and went straight on, past an audible "Oi!" - there are some disadvantages to driving an electric car. I found the car park by the sailing club and while I was phoning Butterfly to let her know my whereabouts I became aware that I had been joined by a large and scruffy land rover and there were two not-very-pleasant individuals looking at me through the car window. Rumbled!

I'd hesitate to call them "heavies". The bloke who addressed me was quite small, wizened, of advancing years even by my standard and hardly threatening at all, even though I gained the impression he was trying to be. He told me that I was supposed to pay £4 to enter, I retorted that I knew this and it was precisely to avoid paying the £4 that I had entered via the exit. I told him my business, that I had come to collect a young lady who had walked a long way with a child strapped to herself because she was exhausted and also explained that I had already been in today because I had had my lunch there. He seemed satisfied and he and his accomplice buggered off so I drove down to the car park and soon Nikki, Butterfly, Clarion and Nye appeared and we returned to the camp site.

My journey home was marred by a superabundance of motorists gravitating to, and from, Sodding Lakeside. I had anticipated being home by 6 but it was nearer 7.30 when I eventually wandered through the door, bearing coffee & walnut cake for Mrs. Wow, because it's her favourite.

Many thanks to Nikki for organising a weekend the good bits of which were very good indeed, but the bits beyond her control left something to be desired. I have returned with a pocket full of sweet chestnuts for roasting and I can only assume that something or other has persuaded the grey squirrels to steer clear of the Kent/Sussex Weald. Perhaps it's the inflated prices of the dreys.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 27 October, 2014, 07:40:57 pm »
A great weekend.  Thanks to Nikki for laying on sunny weather for packing :thumbsup:

A very pretty part of Kent (the A21 excepted), I enjoyed the walk and the ride.  I didn't enjoy the mud quite so much, but it was less of a problem than it might have been.

Sadly, I think that may be our last nights of camping this year :(

Hope everyone gets over their various lurgies and injuries :)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:01:56 pm »
Yeah, could have done with slightly less mud and a lot less M25.  Shropshire or something next time?

But apart from that, I reckon it was about as successful as a camping weekend in late October gets.   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #66 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:08:06 pm »
Yeah, could have done with slightly less mud and a lot less M25.  Shropshire or something next time?

But apart from that, I reckon it was about as successful as a camping weekend in late October gets.   :thumbsup:

Now you're talking!  I'd be up for a Marches weekend.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #67 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:57:23 pm »
Think my various bodyfail is a bit permanently chronic but I'm in surprisingly good shape after 3 nights onna airbed thanks to all the lovely people we camped with doing most of the heavy lifting and Kim doing most of the dexterity things.

Had a great weekend, it was warmer in the daytime than it could have been by a long way and good fun to be out of the house and away somewhere.  The company was also superb!

« Reply #68 on: 27 October, 2014, 09:21:50 pm »
Unfortunately clarion didn't steal my tent, so it's now drip-drying in the shower after a dousing that has hopefully removed most of the mud.

Looking forward to more of the same (but with fewer soggy worm casts) next season  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 27 October, 2014, 09:23:45 pm »
Looking forward to more of the same (but with fewer soggy worm casts) next season  :thumbsup:

What, no freeze-your-bits-off camping weekend?   ;D

« Reply #70 on: 28 October, 2014, 05:05:54 pm »

Now you're talking!  I'd be up for a Marches weekend.
That would be fun :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.