Author Topic: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?  (Read 111270 times)

Re: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?
« Reply #275 on: 15 September, 2013, 10:37:03 pm »
Thanks for that, Martin. Have an excellent holiday!

Martin

« Reply #276 on: 26 August, 2014, 10:17:34 pm »
I've discovered a foible with the AUK website re ECE's;

I never expected it to be clever enough to pick up ECE's as the combined distance for the various awards; but it is  :thumbsup:

however if the ECE is updated as being started on the same date as the calendar event (which isn't always the case with hard nut rides!) it will pick it up and your name will appear in lights  :thumbsup: (or Arial / Times New Roman) so I will do that in future  :)

also please note that 50/150 km extensions will always be rounded up (or down) to the relevant +100 / 200km ECE as the calendar / perm points work out the same

thanks for listening  :)

Martin

« Reply #277 on: 16 September, 2014, 12:42:13 pm »
I'm going to recommend an motion at the AGM that an uncompleted ECE will preclude validation of the calendar event. If passed this will render the system unpoliceable and I will step down from organising them; but if that's what we want so be it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #278 on: 16 September, 2014, 12:43:34 pm »
I believe it is too late to create a new motion for the upcoming AGM.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Martin

« Reply #279 on: 16 September, 2014, 12:45:42 pm »
Ok you're stuck with them for another year  ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #280 on: 16 September, 2014, 12:48:34 pm »
I'm quite happy with the system as it stands.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #281 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »
Ditto, but quite happy that it is subjected to the will of the masses if it will stop people going on about it and provide the defence/reassurance that Martin seeks.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #282 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:34:00 pm »
most of the events I am at validate cards at finish so you'be a bit late in that respect.  leave it all as it is
calm down dear its only a bicycle ride! !
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #283 on: 16 September, 2014, 02:11:34 pm »
+1

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #284 on: 16 September, 2014, 02:19:41 pm »
From the discussions here there doesnt seem to be any great dissatisfaction with the running of ECEs nor to reference another topic, poinst for 24Hr TTs, quite the reverse in fact. What there is though is a small number of posters wiho are rather exercised by certain topics. Nothing wrong with that; we've all got topics that get us hot under the collar....

I'd certainly agree with Andy that a AGM motion is rather the last port of call though. Long before then it makes sense to move the conversation on to the AUK forum, which is there to provide a platform for AUK members to discuss and develop such issues. It's far more likely to lead to a conclusive debate and action one way or another, as if there is a case to be made AUK officers will pick it up and help things along. Well, it makes sense to me, but I would say that, wouldn't I!

« Reply #285 on: 16 September, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »
I'm quite happy with the system as it stands.

The whole point of ECE was to encourage riders to ride to and from events and overall it's been successful. Martin manages this very well and has expressed his view that he does not seek to change this and if it were to change he'd resign. He's worked long and hard to get ECEs from penny numbers to a point where they are for some people BAU and numbers have slowly increased year on year.

And for this he deserves thanks. I like ECEs - they give me a bit of a structure around rides that I'd probably be doing anyway, but add that bit of extra encouragement.

Like LWaB and AndyC, I'm quite happy and thinkg the system's fine as is - don't try to fix what isn't broken.

Martin

« Reply #286 on: 16 September, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »
remember that ECE's were a step up from those DIY + calendar rides (a work of Stan IMO which just put the onus on DIY and Calendar organisers to administer with all the pseudo-DNF loss of AAA etc)

so the allowance to enter two rides but only complete one was already in place  :)

I think a different point was made about extending perms which was more or less solved by the suggestion that they just be done as a DIY to save admin (with the usual courtesy to the perm organiser)

how about Contiguous Calendar events?  :demon: (the 300 that starts with a curry at midnight preceded by a nearby 200 springs to mind) Shirley they could also count?

Bairn Again

« Reply #287 on: 16 September, 2014, 04:17:01 pm »
Not sure what or where the shenanigans mentioned ^ has been going on but thanks for the reminder to do my annual ECE of the three glens explorer into a 200k this weekend. 

Bugloss

« Reply #288 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:01:32 pm »
Would I be able to use ECE's here in Denmark and have them administered by you ?

It's all a bit basic here with things like perms, DIYs and stuff, although there are a surprising number of calendar rides for such a small place.

Martin

« Reply #289 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:35:05 pm »
Not sure what or where the shenanigans mentioned ^ has been going on but thanks for the reminder to do my annual ECE of the three glens explorer into a 200k this weekend.

it was this; thanks for your entry BTW  :)

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84955.125

Martin

« Reply #290 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:38:04 pm »
Would I be able to use ECE's here in Denmark and have them administered by you ?

It's all a bit basic here with things like perms, DIYs and stuff, although there are a surprising number of calendar rides for such a small place.

tricky; unless the Danish events show up on the AUK website with points there isn't anything to "extend"; might be easier as a DIY  :)

« Reply #291 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:46:37 pm »
But presumably Bugloss would be able to speak to the Recorder on completion, and have the event recorded (as happened with the Mile Failte and the Normandy ride earlier in the year, and will happen with PBP next year).

I'd been wondering - though not actively enough to ask you directly - if you'd accept an ECE of an Irish calendar event, as I have tenuous plans to ride one (or some) at some stage.

Bugloss

« Reply #292 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:49:10 pm »

tricky; unless the Danish events show up on the AUK website with points there isn't anything to "extend"; might be easier as a DIY  :)

It's not a problem getting them logged on my AUK account once they have been homologated, although they do take some time to return the brevet card. I'm just thinking about riding instead of driving to the start and may as well take advantage of what's available with AUK.

Martin

« Reply #293 on: 16 September, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »
I'll have to check with John Ward but PBP counts so why not other overseas events? maybe create a new category of ride?

Martin

« Reply #294 on: 06 February, 2016, 05:01:49 pm »
There's something odd with the normal ECE entry; I'm getting the payment notification but no actual email with the route details;

please email me if you need a specific route confirming or a card in the immediate future

Thanks

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #295 on: 06 February, 2016, 06:15:42 pm »
It's all a bit basic here with things like perms, DIYs and stuff
Deep inside me, a little bit of proudness stirs at the thought that our chaps have created something that is better than the Vikings have.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #296 on: 28 April, 2016, 03:37:13 pm »
The link to the ECE FAQ seems to be broken/changed.

I was wondering how much of a problem it is if the ECE route repeats a couple of kms of the calendar route (in both directions)? I know this isn't considered good practice for audax in general, but it kind of looks like the most sensible route to get to/from home.

Martin

« Reply #297 on: 28 April, 2016, 03:49:09 pm »
The link to the ECE FAQ seems to be broken/changed.

I was wondering how much of a problem it is if the ECE route repeats a couple of kms of the calendar route (in both directions)? I know this isn't considered good practice for audax in general, but it kind of looks like the most sensible route to get to/from home.

The FAQ has been over the road for a while now

http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=273.0

no problem with the ECE route duplicating some of the calendar event  :) I wouldn't be able to check anyway as I'm not usually party to the calendar route in advance

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #298 on: 28 April, 2016, 03:50:56 pm »
Thanks Martin. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Martin

« Reply #299 on: 28 April, 2016, 11:52:28 pm »
Another rider pointed out that there seems to be no "150+50" (or even 50+150!) ECE ride available on the AUK website

there is! and there always has been and I've done a few of them myself;  just enter the 100+100; the points work out the same, just trying to minimise the admin. Same applies to 150+150 (enter the 100+200) although I don't think I've ever had an entry for one