Author Topic: Poor Student, 02/01/2016  (Read 12568 times)

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
Re: Poor Student, 02/01/2016
« Reply #50 on: 02 January, 2016, 06:29:06 pm »
Shame on all you slackers who didn't turn up today.

It only rained all day. Another 10hr 200km event completed
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #51 on: 02 January, 2016, 06:45:19 pm »
Gosh, good time, you must be fast - did you win?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #52 on: 02 January, 2016, 07:40:53 pm »
Three of us were at the finish on 8hr-something, so no. I thought "winning" at audax meant eating the most cake anyway?

Fun day but bit of a spendy conclusion... some idiot forgot to pay for their parking... hello £50/£100 fine. Le whoops.

« Reply #53 on: 02 January, 2016, 08:33:56 pm »
I see TG's just turned up at Peartree :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #54 on: 02 January, 2016, 08:48:32 pm »
I see TG's just turned up at Peartree :thumbsup:
....and sailed straight past :)
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #55 on: 03 January, 2016, 01:37:11 pm »
A good day out, if a trifle damp.  Thx to Iddu for organising and the company of various riders on the road.  Hope everyone got home safe.

« Reply #56 on: 03 January, 2016, 04:27:27 pm »
Another memorable Poor Student ride. Maybe just a little wetter than last year? Hope all first timers (some new to audax) made it around safely. Having now gone around in both directions I think that clockwise is the better direction as you get a good dose of climbing from Cirencester to Snows Hill which helps with keeping warm. Good controls and good company on the way around.

parkysouthlondon

• SWRC FB
« Reply #57 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:57:37 pm »
Does anyone know what happened to the guy who's pedal came away from the crank?
He was walking when I saw him somewhere about half distance. Am I a bad person for not helping?
South Western Road Club

« Reply #58 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:24:35 pm »
I rode with him for a while and he seemed to be in remarkably good spirits.  He was still considering his options but, although he was still making reasonable progress, it did look like hard work.

His pedal was still attached to a bit of the crank.  I had zipties and a roll of insulating tape and there were plenty of sticks around but I couldn't think of a suitable bodge.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #59 on: 03 January, 2016, 10:06:56 pm »
2016 see's me trying to keep a cycling blog. My first post is yesterdays Poor student.

https://simonscycling.wordpress.com/2015/12/21/poor-student-2016/

« Reply #60 on: 04 January, 2016, 10:07:31 am »
Good ride for the first one of the year not been out since November. We travelled up from London the night before and stayed at the travel lodge. They were more than happy for us to keep the bikes in the room over night. The morning start was dry with a quick ride to the first control average 23kmph!, must be a tail wind? As we got to the 1st control the rain started and this seem to be set for the rest of the day. Had a few eye issues heading up to the 2nd control, not sure why my eyes get so sore with rain water. its Like I have some sort of allergy. Same issue on the last leg of the PBP. When we got to the 2nd control we decide to stop off for 2 cups of tea and take our time to rap up warm for the ride home. Finish the even just before 8pm with an average speed of 21kmph.  We finish the ride with a guy call Rob which made riding in the dark much more social.  :thumbsup:

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #61 on: 04 January, 2016, 12:37:31 pm »
Sore eyes is probably not rain water. More likely it is the rain water mixed with accumulated sweat from your fevered brow trickling down into the eyes.

This has caused me to stop, almost blind owing to not being able to keep eyes open, on a number of occasions. I have yet to resort to a McEnroe-esque headband to try to stop it.

parkysouthlondon

• SWRC FB
« Reply #62 on: 04 January, 2016, 12:45:28 pm »
Had a few eye issues heading up to the 2nd control, not sure why my eyes get so sore with rain water. its Like I have some sort of allergy. Same issue on the last leg of the PBP.
Have you been following riders with short or non existing mudguards in the rain. They tend to flick up all manner of rubbish off the road surface :'(
South Western Road Club

« Reply #63 on: 04 January, 2016, 02:02:43 pm »
I get the sore eyes thing when riding in persistent heavy rain, irrespective of whether riding solo or with others, or whether I leave my eyewear on or take it off. It must therefore be something running downwards into my eyes. The "rainwater mixed with sweat" theory sounds as good as any to me, but if it turned out to be something else - and preventable - would love to hear it.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #64 on: 04 January, 2016, 04:00:24 pm »
Had a few eye issues heading up to the 2nd control, not sure why my eyes get so sore with rain water. its Like I have some sort of allergy. Same issue on the last leg of the PBP.
Have you been following riders with short or non existing mudguards in the rain. They tend to flick up all manner of rubbish off the road surface :'(

Yes had a few riders with no mudguards in front of me on the ride after the 1st control so could be that or the sweat too; my only option was to keep wiping my eyes with a spare buff till the rain eased off. Its not the end of the world but does mean I had to stop and start every so often.  :'(

« Reply #65 on: 04 January, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »
Don't forget to protect the rider behind you in wet weather by having suitably long mudflaps on your 'guards. :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 04 January, 2016, 07:00:15 pm »
Many pro athletes use stuff like vaseline along their eye-brows to keep sweat out of their eyes.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #67 on: 05 January, 2016, 07:08:03 am »
A cotton cycling cap (worn under the helmet if you use one) is a good way of controlling rain/sweat running into your eyes.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #68 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:13:35 pm »

Yes had a few riders with no mudguards in front of me on the ride after the 1st control so could be that or the sweat too; my only option was to keep wiping my eyes with a spare buff till the rain eased off. Its not the end of the world but does mean I had to stop and start every so often.  :'(

Do you wear cycling glasses. I have clear lens oakley and they are a godsend right now as they are wraparound basically and stop water/crap going anywhere near my eyes. I would say wear glasses would stop it getting sore.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #69 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:44:16 pm »
Wearing glasses does help to reduce the stuff sprayed up off the road but, as a permanent wearer of such things, I can confirm that it does not remove the problem.

Certainly in my own case as a helmet wearer (other options are available, comments elsewhere please) I can confirm that in very rainy weather the padding inside the Magic Hat does get soaking wet and gives up its erstwhile contents down the brow and into the eyes. Squeezing out said padding will confirm this prognosis   :sick:

In my case this is definitively the problem, though of course it may not be for everyone else.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #70 on: 10 February, 2016, 09:47:32 pm »
Cards have come back from their French holiday, so results are up.

Thanks to all those that rode, and for those that didn't, we'll be back next year ;-)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #71 on: 11 February, 2016, 02:58:24 pm »
One of my best rides a couple of years ago in the 'perm' version and started from Chipping Campden and did it in reverse.  Once up onto the Cotswold ridge it was a mainly downhill or flat run to Malmesbury then a flat run to Oxford for a late lunch.  I did the ride in early September and had lovely weather.  Must do it again this year me thinks!

« Reply #72 on: 14 February, 2016, 08:15:32 am »
Good ride for the first one of the year not been out since November. We travelled up from London the night before and stayed at the travel lodge. They were more than happy for us to keep the bikes in the room over night. The morning start was dry with a quick ride to the first control average 23kmph!, must be a tail wind? As we got to the 1st control the rain started and this seem to be set for the rest of the day. Had a few eye issues heading up to the 2nd control, not sure why my eyes get so sore with rain water. its Like I have some sort of allergy. Same issue on the last leg of the PBP. When we got to the 2nd control we decide to stop off for 2 cups of tea and take our time to rap up warm for the ride home. Finish the even just before 8pm with an average speed of 21kmph.  We finish the ride with a guy call Rob which made riding in the dark much more social.  :thumbsup:
Re the sore eye problem in rain.if you wear a helmet the spongy bits on the strap around your head soak up sweat which then evaporates leaving behind the salt.this happens every time you ride until rain washes the concentrated salt out of the sponge band and down into your eyes.

If you wash the sponge band after use and especially before a wet weather ride its fixed.If it catches you out again just take your helmet off if theres some way you can carry it.I know the eye pain can be unbearable .

« Reply #73 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:27:52 pm »
Good ride for the first one of the year not been out since November. We travelled up from London the night before and stayed at the travel lodge. They were more than happy for us to keep the bikes in the room over night. The morning start was dry with a quick ride to the first control average 23kmph!, must be a tail wind? As we got to the 1st control the rain started and this seem to be set for the rest of the day. Had a few eye issues heading up to the 2nd control, not sure why my eyes get so sore with rain water. its Like I have some sort of allergy. Same issue on the last leg of the PBP. When we got to the 2nd control we decide to stop off for 2 cups of tea and take our time to rap up warm for the ride home. Finish the even just before 8pm with an average speed of 21kmph.  We finish the ride with a guy call Rob which made riding in the dark much more social.
Re the sore eye problem in rain.if you wear a helmet the spongy bits on the strap around your head soak up sweat which then evaporates leaving behind the salt.this happens every time you ride until rain washes the concentrated salt out of the sponge band and down into your eyes.

If you wash the sponge band after use and especially before a wet weather ride its fixed.If it catches you out again just take your helmet off if theres some way you can carry it.I know the eye pain can be unbearable .
Just to update on the eye issue. Switch helmet padding a month ago. Seems to have stopped the issue. I did use to wash my helmet pads but seems that was not enough. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #74 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:35:38 pm »
Isn't this why cycling caps are worn under helmets? Rain should drip from the peak rather than run down the face.

Eddington  127miles, 170km