Author Topic: 2016 Easter Arrow Teams and Questions Thread  (Read 35557 times)

Re: 2016 Easter Arrow Teams and Questions Thread
« Reply #25 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:26:48 am »
Team Mercian meanderers reformed and I can almost taste that spoons breakfast  :thumbsup:

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #26 on: 04 February, 2016, 11:24:31 pm »
Anyone interested in joining a team of newbies going from Oxford to York via Cambridge?

« Reply #27 on: 05 February, 2016, 12:34:31 pm »
What are my options if I can't find a team? Just a solo DIY and sit outside at the end?

« Reply #28 on: 05 February, 2016, 12:36:36 pm »
What are my options if I can't find a team? Just a solo DIY and sit outside at the end?

Start one yourself?

« Reply #29 on: 05 February, 2016, 12:45:54 pm »

Start one yourself?
Trying, can't find anyone though  :D

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #30 on: 05 February, 2016, 09:33:33 pm »

Start one yourself?

May I introduce you...

Anyone interested in joining a team of newbies going from Oxford to York via Cambridge?

:D

« Reply #31 on: 06 February, 2016, 01:35:10 am »
I'm not sure that an Oxford start would be terribly convenient for Dale.

I'm on the hunt for a London/SE start though, and Oxford could doubtless be made to work.

I've booked a return train to Edinburgh for the Saturday lunchtime

Should have PMd you to ask what time you were travelling - I've just booked an onward train so I can see my folks for Easter. I'm sure they'll be delighted by the vision that appears on their doorstep, mind.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #32 on: 06 February, 2016, 02:44:12 pm »
Oh, if I know Dale he could ride to the start in Oxford.

:)

« Reply #33 on: 07 February, 2016, 12:17:06 pm »
Oh, if I know Dale he could ride to the start in Oxford.

:)

I do need a 600...

https://goo.gl/maps/MyCyhsedXfq

;)

Bairn Again

« Reply #34 on: 07 February, 2016, 07:05:53 pm »
I'm not sure that an Oxford start would be terribly convenient for Dale.

I'm on the hunt for a London/SE start though, and Oxford could doubtless be made to work.

I've booked a return train to Edinburgh for the Saturday lunchtime

Should have PMd you to ask what time you were travelling - I've just booked an onward train so I can see my folks for Easter. I'm sure they'll be delighted by the vision that appears on their doorstep, mind.
Hi John, I'm booked on the 1336 North to Edinburgh.   Would be nice to catch up even if you are on a different service, I think that we proved over Christmas that drinking beer after a bike ride is something we are both reasonably good at. 

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #35 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:07:54 pm »
The Bristol team is full and the only person I know of who is interested down my way is IanH

So, if you are west of Bristol and would like to have a go - get in touch

If you have a somewhere in the south of England team and are short of a person - get in touch

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #36 on: 17 February, 2016, 10:55:21 pm »
Team Mercian meanderers reformed and I can almost taste that spoons breakfast  :thumbsup:

dave

I'm good for spoons breakfasts  :thumbsup:  Just need to do some cycling now & I'll be fine  :facepalm:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #37 on: 18 February, 2016, 08:00:16 pm »

dave

I'm good for spoons breakfasts  :thumbsup:  Just need to do some cycling now & I'll be fine  :facepalm:

As usual I'll rely on the team to drag me round  :facepalm:
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #38 on: 18 February, 2016, 11:53:01 pm »
Did you find a team Dale, or are you still looking? Oxford team has space for 2 more

Start one yourself?

May I introduce you...

:D

« Reply #39 on: 19 February, 2016, 07:14:17 am »
Anyone interested in/doing a 360-400 starting in or near York and riding a loop?  Slow pace?
Does not play well with others

« Reply #40 on: 19 February, 2016, 09:00:39 am »
Anyone interested in/doing a 360-400 starting in or near York and riding a loop?  Slow pace?

I have two of us starting near York, going for 360km. We'll do 400 if things get too easy (ha ha ha)

Err, Milton Keynes is near York, isn't it? Probably start at 10am.

Then we'll be riding home very leisurely the next two days after spending the day in York if anyone wants to join us.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #41 on: 20 February, 2016, 03:18:56 pm »
So I've combined a visit up North to visit parents etc with some route checking and I now have a route via Gainsborough from Ashby area for our Easter Trail, the last bit however I didn't manage to check our final route in from Hambleton to York on what seems like an old railway line from A19/Riccall in to Bishopthorpe.

Has anyone any reports on the condition of the track and its construction? (a couple of our guys are on road bikes less suitable for Audax  ::-) )

There are still quite a few bridge closures etc due to the flooding on our route which I have bypassed and some of what looked ideal cycling lanes are quagmires so to be avoided (which is a shame as one seems a nice divert under the M62 at East Cowick).

Route 64 is also closed near South Collingham to allow tree felling though its also a muddy mess so I suspect that doesn't feature on anyone's route anyhow :)

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #42 on: 20 February, 2016, 08:17:11 pm »
I suspect the last bit you're referring to is the Planets Path. https://www.york.ac.uk/solar/html/map.html

I've ridden it on 25s. It's fine, unless you're running late, then the road is loads quicker. You can cycle along the A19- it's not like it is here. No fun, but not deadly or illegal.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #43 on: 20 February, 2016, 08:25:11 pm »
 :thumbsup: Lindsay - now I've read that it would be a shame to not ride it! :)
Regards,

Joergen

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #44 on: 20 February, 2016, 08:54:17 pm »
So I've combined a visit up North to visit parents etc with some route checking and I now have a route via Gainsborough from Ashby area for our Easter Trail, the last bit however I didn't manage to check our final route in from Hambleton to York on what seems like an old railway line from A19/Riccall in to Bishopthorpe.

Has anyone any reports on the condition of the track and its construction? (a couple of our guys are on road bikes less suitable for Audax  ::-) )

The old railway path is tarmac for the full length from Riccall to York and is ridable on pretty much any sort of bike/tyre combination, I regularly see people riding road bikes with 23mm tyres along there. I certainly used to use 25's regularly without any problems  (I switched to 28's for the comfort aspect!).

The only thing to be mindful of is that the bridge under the A64 does tend to be a bit of a broken glass magnet (local kids getting pished and breaking the evidence, 'cos it's fun, innit?)
If heading into York, it is feasible to come off the route in Bishopthorpe village and head into town down Bishopthorpe Road instead, but that does miss the section from Mars to the Sun! :-)

If you have any questions about the York end of the route, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Darryl (in York)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #45 on: 20 February, 2016, 09:13:30 pm »
Thanks Darryl - Bishopthorpe Road was the plan but I am considering a venture to the sun now :)

Is the path that runs from Sim Balk Lane to the Race course similar tarmac (glass not withstanding of course :) )?
Regards,

Joergen

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #46 on: 20 February, 2016, 11:00:48 pm »

Hi Longflaps, Any space still left? Tentative enquiry....What time/start day, how fast? Based in New Forest. Regularly around Oxford. PBP last year but like to go steady!

If no good any other Southerners interested in forming a team?

Smeth

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #47 on: 21 February, 2016, 07:58:25 am »

Hi Longflaps, Any space still left? Tentative enquiry....What time/start day, how fast? Based in New Forest. Regularly around Oxford. PBP last year but like to go steady!

If no good any other Southerners interested in forming a team?

Smeth

Sorry my team from Reading is full. We are starting at a Wetherspoons and trying to stick to bacon rolls.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #48 on: 21 February, 2016, 08:35:33 am »

I have two of us starting near York, going for 360km. We'll do 400 if things get too easy (ha ha ha)

Err, Milton Keynes is near York, isn't it? Probably start at 10am.

Then we'll be riding home very leisurely the next two days after spending the day in York if anyone wants to join us.

Hi Steve

I did consider the Milton Keynes Start but, to be honest, logistically it is a nightmare for me.  I need to get back on the Saturday to Malvern so if I start and finish in York I can drive up, stay the Thursday night, ride arrow, go to pub, have hour's kip in van, drive home.  If I start from anywhere else it means faffing with trains and then driving home from there. 

Just not enough hours in a day, or a bank holiday weekend for that matter!

Thanks for offer though, it would have been amazing to be part of your team :)
Does not play well with others

« Reply #49 on: 21 February, 2016, 12:44:11 pm »
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Boothferry Bridge?  We're planning on heading North into York that way, but if it's closed for any reason we will be struggling.  I am assuming it is fully functional.  Incidentally, I'm almost ready to post our entry for a team of 4, so if there is a person looking for a team, who can make an 0800 start from Grange-over-Sands, for a 400+, then get in touch.