Author Topic: Sam Weller's day trip to Wochma - 200k - Tewkesbury - Saturday February 6th.  (Read 12125 times)

There are still a few places available for those wanting to get their RTTY ride for February out of the way as early as possible. The route traces through pretty lanes and roads through Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, the Wye Valley, South Gloucestershire, the cotswolds and an easy finish through the Severn Vale. Controls at Allensmore,  Chepstow, Malmesbury.The controls are aware of - and are looking forward to cyclists visiting.

At this time of year, the temperature could be quite low - so please do not compromise yourself by not eating. The controls are fairly evenly spaced - and on some stages you're unlikely to find establishments to buy snacks between controls. This ride probably requires cyclists to snack at the controls, rather than eat huge ammounts at the first - and then bounce every control aftrwards. Cyclists have tried this, and afterwards commented that they made a mistake in adopting this option.

The route follows countryside on public roads roads/lanes that may contain steep ascents and/or descents, along with any other features that public thoroughfares may have, please familiarise yourself with the route, as per AUK handbook notes. You have been made aware.

Ride departure & arrivee from the Royal hop Pole PH in Tewkesbury.

BlackSheep CC is keen to ensure that as many of the rides hosted are recognised not only by AUK but also ACP. To this end BlackSheep CC are only able to provisionally validate this ride.

Brevets cards will be retained at the end of the event to enable this particular validation process at the end of the event, Your brevet card will be returned to you once they have been formally validated.

Up to date route sheets and GPS files are available to download at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-180/

The controls are all fairly evenly spaced, although there will be places to stop in between should you so wish.

Please also refer to the event page on the AUK website for further, weather, travel and facilities info.

Please note the GPS files have been generated with maximum definition for profiling purposes. And as such probably has too many track points for most GPS units, it is a relatively simple task to reduce this to a number suitable for your unit. First of all, save the file attached to your hard drive. You then need to go to the Bikehike website (other sites may also offer this service). And once on the create route page, upload the file. Once uploaded, click on the options box, and enter the number of points you wish to reduce to. Then click reduce, you can then down load this file to your hard drive and then to your GPS, I don't think it's possible to download direct to your GPS from the web site.

If you're going to utilise them, please use the files that best suit your machine, and I leave you to make that decision. I'm not an expert in the workings of individual GPS units. And will not be able to answer individual queries concerning the files' suitability. If you have specific download issues, I suggest you contact the relevent official within AUK, the files are proven as fit for use.

There are also numerous car parks in town you can use, none are more than five minutes cycle from the ride departure. Further information can be found at http://Tewkesbury.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1801 please be aware some car parks have height restrictions, so if your bike travels on the roof - be aware there may be a degree of interference between bike and barriers. If this causes you an issue, and the resultant effect likewise are your responsibility.

The popularity of the events from both Tewkesbury and Bushley continues to rise, more and more cyclists are travelling to the events from further away. This inevitably means they are either departing their homes extremely early, or camping/sleeping in cars somewhere en-route.

In and effort to ensure everyone has the opportunity to eat something before they venture-forth "sur le velo", a light breakfast will be offered free of charge to all. Energy-wise it should certainly be enough to get you to the first control where you can have another breakfast in true "Hobbit" fashion.

The Royal Hop Pole, is shown as S/F on the "Start Map" jpg. I would suggest parking your bike at the rear, access is via St. Mary's Lane. - there's plenty of space, just don't block the fire escapes or tables in the smoking area.

The Royal Hop Pole opens at 07:00, so if you wish to have a light breakfast (included in entry fee), please arrive earlier rather than later

Those going for max VFM, you may need lights for the latter part of the day.

As for B&Bs in the area, it is probably best that you use Google to search for your requirements, Or try Tewkesbury Tourist information centre http://www.outofthehat.org.uk/,

The JD Wetherspoon (also the ride departure & arrivee) in the centre of Tewkesbury is a hotel http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/hotels/the-royal-hop-pole.

There's both Premier Inn http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/TEWBRE/tewkesbury and Travelodge http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/401/Tewkesbury-hotel both about a mile from the start, (both on M5J9),

There are campsites at the locations below, but it may be worth checking if they're open in winter.

Lower Lode, it's about a 20 minute cycle ride from the start/arrivee, further details at http://www.lowerlodeinn.co.uk/

Haw Bridge, roughly 25 - 30 mins away by bike. http://www.hawbridgeinn.co.uk/

Croft Farm camp site 5 - 10 minutes from the start, quite a few cyclists have used it in the past - and have rated quite highly. http://www.croftfarmleisure.co.uk/

As the ride starts at 7:30 a.m. to maximise the use of daylight, you will need lights for the earlier part of the ride - please make sure you have them and they're fit for purpose.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

hope its warmer than last year  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

hope its warmer than last year  :thumbsup:

indeed, IIRC it wasn`t exactly tropical and I recall a route choice of sheet ice or potholes at one point near How Caple---as well as interesting combinations of ice / mud / frozen mud  ::-) but it was `fun`  :thumbsup: I wore a lot of clothes too
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

I'll be going to Waitrose in Malmesbury this time instead of the Coop on the outskirts where the manager was a complete idiot :facepalm:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

In and looking forward to this.

The AUK website has come back on stream, so it is now possible to enter this event.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

alfapete

• Oh dear
I'm in for this one - having taken Dec and Jan off riding 200's so I didn't get too stuck on the RRTY hamster wheel. Really looking forward to it - rode last year and remember the fairly gentle finish which was much appreciated
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

I'm in.  :thumbsup:

My foot is well and truly trapped in the hamster wheel for RRtY number 2.  ;)

All post "AUK site meltdown" entries should have entry confirmation in your inboxes.

As usual, if your SPAM filter doesn't like Bcc mailing, check there. Failing that, check your e-mail that's logged on your AUK details.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
I'll be going to Waitrose in Malmesbury this time instead of the Coop on the outskirts where the manager was a complete idiot :facepalm:

I'm thinking of going back to the co-op just to taunt him  :demon:
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Last call for anyone that's undecided, just a couple of spaces left.

Come and have a day out on "Bairdy's favourite "

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion

I've ridden it seven times over the last four years but not ridden it since the last calendar event in Feb 15.
I like it's square shape.
Can we have a Blacksheep round ride and an arched ride to make the full set?
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

I've ridden it seven times over the last four years but not ridden it since the last calendar event in Feb 15.
It would be impressive if we could do a sheep shape one  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333

A sheep shaped one would be really baaaaadd, so it's down to Mr Blacksheep.... Woolly do it, or won't he ??

;D ;D ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

I'm in (well, I've just paid on paypal!).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

I'm in (well, I've just paid on paypal!).

And with that the fold door firmly closes, no more room.

A sheep shaped one would be really baaaaadd, so it's down to Mr Blacksheep.... Woolly do it, or won't he ??

;D ;D ;D

Have a look at the pic inside a "Benjamin Allen's Spring Tonic." Brevet card, that's as near as we get.

I DNFd it once so you could say it went pear shaped  ;D

Hypothetical question - if the Severn Bridge is closed to cyclists because of high winds, do we switch to train?

retro

• real name Gerry
I trust I will be back for the Rugby?

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Hypothetical question - if the Severn Bridge is closed to cyclists because of high winds, do we switch to train?

They can close the bridge to motorised traffic but have no powers to shut both cyclepaths at the same time.....

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

I am seriously considering staying at home on Saturday having seen the forecast, whether or not the bridge is open.

I am seriously considering staying at home on Saturday having seen the forecast, whether or not the bridge is open.

+1  :(

the weather does seem lack a degree of pleasantness, forecast for Saturday has steadily deteriorated from not too bad to now heavy rain dawn to dusk with good strong winds too
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re the Severn Bridge, I have crossed the cyclepath when the bridge is closed to all vehicles due to high winds. Best to use the downwind side which will be the side furthest away from Bristol this weekend.

On one notable occasion I was kneeling down gripping my bike for fear of it (and me) blowing away but the path remained open.

The wind blew my helmet cover off during the bridge crossing once, snapping the helmet visor clips. I don't fancy 420 km of rain, so will keep an eye on the forecast.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!