Author Topic: Using the same section of road more than once  (Read 12930 times)

Re: Using the same section of road more than once
« Reply #100 on: 06 February, 2016, 03:36:49 pm »
The blunter answer.

50s and 100s are ‘introductory events’.

They are shorter events that most cyclists can finish in preparation for AUK membership and a happy life of Randonneuring.

They are also events where cyclists and AUK members can experience the ‘Audax camaraderie’ if they don’t at that time think they can ride 200 km.

Long may they continue.

Agree with all the above, plus they're events that can be ridden with family members who can cope with 50km (Mrs WM) or 100km (WM Jr.) but aren't ready / insane enough for 200km or above
Eddington Number = 132

Re: Using the same section of road more than once
« Reply #101 on: 06 February, 2016, 04:58:48 pm »
I've entered the Chiltern Grit (100) that seems partly to have sparked this thread. The 100 is an out and back event. I've never ridden an Audax like that before (which is part of the attraction of course - it's going to be different).

I've not done an out and back event since my last open time trial, years ago. I'm expecting to see constant strings of riders on their way back, when I've barely started climbing the Chilterns on my way out. To face this sight without giving up will require considerable mental strength, and therefore far more Audaciousness than the typical 100. ;D ;D