Author Topic: How Long to Verify a DIY by GPS  (Read 1354 times)

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
How Long to Verify a DIY by GPS
« on: 08 February, 2016, 12:27:57 pm »
In late December I bought a virtual Brevet Card and submitted my route for a DIY by GPS ride which I rode in late December to keep my RRTY alive.  I initially emailed my gpx track to the local DIY organiser but the file was too large to email.  Subsequently I emailed a link to the file that had been uploaded to my Dropbox from where it could be downloaded, and later emailed a slimmed down version of the gpx file and also a link to the ride on Strava, from which I believe it is possible to download the ride.

However, I have not had any reply or acknowledgement to any of the above from the local DIY organiser and I'm worried that my RRTY will be dead in the water if not verified.

Can anyone offer any advice or can another (non local) organiser verify the ride.

Thanks

PX Paul

Re: How Long to Verify a DIY by GPS
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2016, 12:51:31 pm »
Have you emailed the organiser concerned again?  (It may be me, I have a big backlog at the moment; it's horribly possible for emails to be lost sight of; I'm grateful for enquiries, it can help to prevent errors. I'd probably reply with just a  :) if the track is safely in the pipeline.)

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »
Hi Tony, no it wasn't you.  But would you be able to verify it for me ?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2016, 01:17:09 pm »
I would email the original org again now with a reminder before trying another org.

I know the frustration you feel ,I had a RRTY DIY that took months to be confirmed.

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:05:57 pm »
If the organiser has a work project that's taking 60 hours a week and is about to move house because his partner has a new job 250 miles away, the chances are he has quite a big backlog to get through.

However- your initial file was too big and you had to send a link- this is a right PITA, what on earth were you recording it with? My gpx files are (checks) about 350kb for a 200.
A link to a strava download is not actually how you should be sending your track. That requires your organiser to be a strava member and he may not be.

No one other than the original organiser can verify your ride.

If your DIY organiser is the one I wake up with on an increasingly regular basis, I will personally check tonight where your ride is at tonight. PM me.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:13:16 pm »
Strava only lets you download other peoples rides if you are a premium member.

GPX files can be zipped, usually gives a much smaller file, ie 1/10 of the size.

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:31:01 pm »
However- your initial file was too big and you had to send a link- this is a right PITA, what on earth were you recording it with? My gpx files are (checks) about 350kb for a 200.

This for me. I usually upload to Strava, then download the .gpx and send that. Never had a problem yet?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:46:47 pm »
A GPX file with 1 point per second could be about 4MB for a 12 hour ride. Maybe a bit more if it includes heart rate, cadence data etc. So that's a bit too big for email.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:59:34 pm »
Most of my DIY Perm .gpx files are delivered uncompressed and some of them can be a lot bigger then 4mb...

However being plain text files, .gpx files compress wonderfully; a 5Mb file compresses to 350kb for example.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2016, 03:03:43 pm »
The gps device was a Garmin Edge 800 which is set to 'auto' record.  A slimmed down version (using GPSBabel) was later sent which I hope was received OK.

Cheers
Paul

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2016, 06:35:03 pm »
We'll try and get to the bottom of this tonight.

I'll email you shortly.

« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2016, 07:27:26 pm »
Nice one, Mr Smith!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!