Author Topic: Toenail fungus  (Read 32114 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Toenail fungus
« Reply #50 on: 27 July, 2009, 08:08:38 am »
Nought wrong with pissing on the feets.

tis good for cleaning cuts too.

And jellyfish stings.  A friend of mine got stung on the, er,  chest but she declined my 'remedy' ??? saying that the pain wasn't too bad and she'd just lie in the shade a while.

Never worked out why :demon:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: 08 February, 2010, 09:24:27 am »
Update:  After six months on the anti-mank pills, I have lovely feet once more.

As Helly said:

Systemic antifungal treatment is not simple, cheap, quick or without risks. But it ROCKS.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #52 on: 08 February, 2010, 09:36:04 am »
I've been back to the doc today and he's prescribed Loceryl nail lacquer.

I've just read the instructions and it looks as though I am about to start a new hobby bordering on full-time occupation.

Loceryl works well but you need to be patient. Two tips:

Let it dry before you go to bed or put on socks else your feet will get stuck to the fabric (don't ask how I know this)

Clean off the old layers so that you're treating nails and not the laquer

I've been doing this for about the last 6 months and it's working.  The two nails I'm using it on are starting to emerge clean from the nailbed.  Well worth the weekly faff.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 08 February, 2010, 01:23:52 pm »

As Helly said:

Systemic antifungal treatment is not simple, cheap, quick or without risks. But it ROCKS.

Wonderful, isn't it?
>5 years on, I'm still mank-free. Given how awkward foot care is now for me, I am very pleased.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #54 on: 25 July, 2010, 11:31:35 pm »
Well I have athletes foot for the first time in my life, currently on a daktacort cream.

Now wondering where it came from and what should I do to stop its reappearance.  What  would you put in shoes to kill any possible re infection also how would you wash sock to make sure that I'm not re infecting myself.

Thanks

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:35:25 am »
I am not aware of any way to kill fungi in shoes, though I supose you could paint them with copper sulphate solution.
Washing socks at 60°c may kill both fungi and socks.
I think the fungi that cause atthlete's foot are common; you might have caught the in a bathroom/swimming pool/changing room or may have tried infected shoes at a shoe shop. I think there might be fungal spores in the environment anyway.
Try to keep feet clean, cool and dry.
Daktacort contains a sterod and an antifungal. Whilst the steroid is good for reducing inflammation in the short term, it can help fungi replicate. I'd suggest switching to a straight antifungal (Daktarin/Canesten etc) after a fortnight.
Fungi love sugar; keep yours under tight control.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #56 on: 22 May, 2014, 10:14:18 pm »
How time flies!

My nail fungus has been pretty much unchanged since I last posted on this thread - until today.

Since December I have been giving my size 12 tootsies a real treat in that they now mostly wear quality woollen sock from Bridgedale. Tonight I cut my toe nails. They gave the distinct impression that my nail fungus had retreated rather, especially in my left foot. Far too early to draw any firm conclusions, but I will report back when I next get the clippers out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 22 May, 2014, 10:50:35 pm »
There was some recent article in the BMJ about toenail fungus. I can't remember what it said; naughty girl will have to reread...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #58 on: 22 May, 2014, 11:13:25 pm »
False negative test for fungal nails are common and test should be repeated if fungi are suspected.
Systemic treatment should not start until there has been laboratory confirmation of fungal infection.

Terbinafine has fewer drug interactions than itraconazole and is recommended as first line systemic treatment.

Creams might be OK for kids with fast-growing, thin nails.

Wow's on other meds which might cause trouble.

My nails are manky again but the skin's OK. ICnBA to do anything yet.

« Reply #59 on: 23 May, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »
I have nails that get periodically manky. I did 6 months of terminating and it was effective. I tend to use lamisil if it seems to come back 'too much'. As I like to go out for a run sometimes, if it gets a hold the nails get uncomfortable and bruise easily.

It's a right pain, but I suspect it it's ongoing nature is to some extent the result of my pragmatic prioritisation ..

Mike

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #60 on: 23 May, 2014, 11:26:15 pm »
I had a fungal infection under my big toe's nail. Once I decided it wouldn't grow out, I got Becur Naloc from the chemist. Paint it on once a day, especially around the edges of the nail. A marked improvement after about 2 months.

(Whilst hunting for the tube to get the name, I found my multi tool and external phone battery. :thumbsup:)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #61 on: 05 March, 2019, 10:27:53 am »
Tried the topical treatment for the last few months and it's making a bit of a difference but I think the skin on the foot is infected too so I've booked a GP appointment on the 19th to discuss oral fungicides.

Consider giving up alcohohohohol for a while before seeking anti-fungals and during treatment.

Completely? Or just cutting down lots?

I've avoiding booze for quite a bit of this year (drank during a week long skiing holiday and I've had one other night so far in 2019 where I had a whole 6 units) but I was planning on returning to normal drinking (20+ units/week) come the end of April.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #62 on: 05 March, 2019, 10:41:56 am »
In getting my other foot problem diagnosed, the podiatrist also pointed out that the hard skin on my heels which I've been managing with urea based creams for the last ten years was almost certainly caused by a fungal infection.  I also struggled with fungal infections on my toe nails that I have kept at bay with Scholl's expensive liquid - it's almost impossible to eradicate as I have a slow growing toenail (they took the nailbed out to solve an ingrown nail problem on my right big toe, but they didn't get it all - it grows very slowly and is therefore more susceptible to fungal infection).

That all aside - the podiatrist pointed out that a habit of encasing feet in cycling shoes and overshoes and riding around for extreme distances in the wet was almost certain to cause fungal problems, so it was probably an occupational hazard, probably starting around PBP 2007 and exacerbated by LEL2009.  So, faced with a choice of having soft skin on my feet or carrying on cycling, I'll just choose to manage somewhat manky feet.   :facepalm: ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 05 March, 2019, 11:41:48 am »
Tried the topical treatment for the last few months and it's making a bit of a difference but I think the skin on the foot is infected too so I've booked a GP appointment on the 19th to discuss oral fungicides.
Consider giving up alcohohohohol for a while before seeking anti-fungals and during treatment.
I've avoiding booze for quite a bit of this year (drank during a week long skiing holiday and I've had one other night so far in 2019 where I had a whole 6 units) but I was planning on returning to normal drinking (20+ units/week) come the end of April.

Livers vary enormously in their capacity to handle the stuff and any deviation from the norm can be a reason to avoid oral antifungals. There is NO evidence base for this suggestion; just my feeling that
1) GPs can be reluctant to prescribe.
2) Livers can be weird.

FWIW my toenails need another round of antifungals but I've been SO deterred by the runaround I had last time I tried to get them that I'l keep waiting till David can't cope.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #64 on: 05 March, 2019, 12:03:00 pm »

As Helly said:

I am no longer mank-free.
Several toenails and probably my fingernails have signs.

I would have liked another round of treatment many years ago but the GP sent me to the Community Dermatologist in the Community Hospital. He took clippings, which grew no fungus. (Infected nails don't always grow fungi, as I found out years later.) He therefore decided not to treat.

David's most recent encounters with the Community Dermatologist were at another location miles away.

Suspect getting my nails treated would entail multiple consultations at distant venues.

I can't face the hassle.

Wonderful, isn't it?
>5 years on, I'm still mank-free. Given how awkward foot care is now for me, I am very pleased.

« Reply #65 on: 18 March, 2019, 01:44:16 pm »

Livers vary enormously in their capacity to handle the stuff and any deviation from the norm can be a reason to avoid oral antifungals. There is NO evidence base for this suggestion; just my feeling that
1) GPs can be reluctant to prescribe.
2) Livers can be weird.

OK, thanks. I'll guess I'll see what the GP says tomorrow. I'm happy to use it as an excuse to extend my booze vacation for even longer. I had planned to be mostly off it until late April anyway but I can push that out as required.

« Reply #66 on: 19 March, 2019, 09:26:16 am »
I'll guess I'll see what the GP says tomorrow.

GP wasn't hesitant to prescribe at all, to the point that he gave me the prescription for 12 weeks worth of terbinafine along with the sample jar for some toenail clippings and a form for a liver function test. He did say to wait for the test results before starting the medication though (I'll wait until I've got the results before filling the prescription). 3 monthly liver function tests from then on.

No specific warnings about booze although I did say that I was keeping an eye on my drinking and keeping it down to more reasonable levels.

No point using the topical nail paint stuff now as it isn't going to get under the nail properly or do anything for the skin on my feet.

8.30am appointment, walked out of the surgery at 8.43am having had the doctors appointment and being seen straight away by the practice nurse to give a blood sample (and a quick checkup for weight/smoking/booze/BP). Amazing when it works like this!

Ben T

« Reply #67 on: 19 March, 2019, 09:47:39 am »
If I had been to the docs, sent clippings, prescribed amorolfine, but it did nothing, is there any point going back to the docs again?

« Reply #68 on: 20 March, 2019, 12:21:22 am »
In the absence of proper medical training, and what has been posted in the thread so far, I'd say yes.

« Reply #69 on: 27 March, 2019, 01:20:08 pm »
Called up and liver test results were "normal, no action" so I'll get the prescription filled this afternoon and off I go.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 27 March, 2019, 02:23:13 pm »
Excellent! Persistence pays off.

It's a LONG business...

(Mind you, this thread is pretty ancient too...)

« Reply #71 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:29:28 pm »
I get it on both my thumb nails. I find that it goes away after regular (at least daily) dosing of Vic's Vapour Rub onto the nail.

It tends to come back after a year or so if I forget to apply it once in a while (say once or twice a month), once it's gone.

« Reply #72 on: 12 June, 2019, 11:00:23 am »
Coming up to 3 months on terbinafine. Off to the phlebotomist later today[1] to get the liver enzymes checked and, if all ok, will fill the repeat prescription I've been given.

It's definitely affected my drinking. I get worse hangovers and from fewer drinks now. Not that that's a bad thing as it is a good reason to cut down a bit, if only I'd remember that the night before the morning after.

1. 30 minute wait at the local hospital, the earliest appointment I could have got to have to taken by the nurse at my GP surgery was 9 days away!

« Reply #73 on: 14 June, 2019, 02:56:31 pm »
Off to the phlebotomist later today[1] to get the liver enzymes checked and, if all ok, will fill the repeat prescription I've been given.

Blood test at hospital midday on a Wednesday. Text from doctor at 6pm the next day (Thursday) to say that test results are good and I can continue to take terbinafine. Prescription for another 84 days filled. Just need to make a note in the diary for ~3 months time to book another doc appt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #74 on: 14 June, 2019, 03:13:53 pm »
Great news!