General Category > On The Road

Lorry firm shut down following cyclists' killings

(1/2) > >>

Redlight:
Some may remember the killing of two cyclists who were about 40 miles into a LeJoG ride a couple of years ago.  The lorry driver in that case was found to have fallen asleep and was jailed.  Here's a report from the CTC on the action eventually taken against the driver's employer, who seems to have a complete lack of remorse and couldn't even be bothered to turn up for the hearing to consider revoking his licence.

ow.ly/ULv8Y

Sad to say, I suspect this particular piece of scum will probably turn up again running an unlicensed business.

benborp:

--- Quote from: Redlight on 18 November, 2015, 10:10:48 am ---
Sad to say, I suspect this particular piece of scum will probably turn up again running an unlicensed business.

--- End quote ---
Or as in the Drummond case (mentioned in the article, the Drummonds employed the unlicensed, uninsured Barry Meyer when he killed Alan Neve) when they are eventually banned from operating a haulage company a close family member will suddenly start up a similar business in the same location.

Jacomus:

--- Quote from: benborp on 18 November, 2015, 10:25:51 am ---
--- Quote from: Redlight on 18 November, 2015, 10:10:48 am ---

--- End quote ---
Or as in the Drummond case (mentioned in the article, the Drummonds employed the unlicensed, uninsured Barry Meyer when he killed Alan Neve) when they are eventually banned from operating a haulage company a close family member will suddenly start up a similar business in the same location.

--- End quote ---

ETA: TC = Transport Commissioner, they regulate the licencing of HGVs, buses and coaches. :)

That is becoming rarer, thankfully, as TCs are looking more and more at influencing factors.

For example, the latest issue of Commercial Motor has got a digest of the Scottish TC denying an O-licence to the son of parents who have had their O-licence revoked for non-compliance because the TC didn't believe that the son would run his business outside of his parents influence. That digest is far from the first in this vein that I've read either.

Bloody slow progress though  :-\

De Sisti:
What is a TC? If it's an abbreviation of something, write the name in full (initially) followed by the abbreviation; then refer to the abbreviation later on. :thumbsup:

Jurek:
Transport Commissioner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version