Author Topic: Bar end mirrors  (Read 7403 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Bar end mirrors
« on: 14 November, 2008, 03:46:39 pm »
I quite fancy a bar end mirror, but have never bought one before. It would be for fitting to mtb riser bars with bar-ends.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Re: Bar end mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:48:21 pm »
I tried one and hated it. I found it distracting, and hard to see in. But other people like them - worth a try. 

Jacomus

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:50:47 pm »
I tried one and hated it. I found it distracting, and hard to see in. But other people like them - worth a try. 

I might just go for it, and get a Blackburn one that looks loike it will fit.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:53:38 pm »
I had one, it was pretty crap. Vibrated a lot. The bike it was on was eventually stolen.

The Bike Eye is better and doesn't vibrate so much, that's what is on my hybrid. Good for seeing what's coming up behind you for planning purposes but still no substitute for a proper look, I know you know that though.

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:03:28 pm »
I used a Blackburn one for a while on a recumbent and it worked well. But that had 'praying hamster' steering, so the mirror was quite close - I'm not sure how good the field of view would be at arm's length.

Have you considered the Topeak 'Bar 'n' Mirror'?

Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Jacomus

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:15:28 pm »
I used a Blackburn one for a while on a recumbent and it worked well. But that had 'praying hamster' steering, so the mirror was quite close - I'm not sure how good the field of view would be at arm's length.

A couple of reviews on BikeMagic slate it pretty hard. I also do not want to change my bar ends, as they are Most Excellent.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »
I have a Mirrycle on the front of the tandem.  It allows me to see Butterfly's mirror clearly ;D
Getting there...

Jacomus

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:21:04 pm »
I had one, it was pretty crap. Vibrated a lot. The bike it was on was eventually stolen.

The Bike Eye is better and doesn't vibrate so much, that's what is on my hybrid. Good for seeing what's coming up behind you for planning purposes but still no substitute for a proper look, I know you know that though.

Of course, I don't want it to replace, but I would like it to aid the info I can gather from around me.

I feel that a bar end mirror would vibrate less on my bike than most as it has the double bonus of huge volume 60mm tyres and suspension.

I'm not sure about the bike eye, as the view I want isn't straight back, I want it for my 4-5 o'clock

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:39:45 pm »

A couple of reviews on BikeMagic slate it pretty hard. I also do not want to change my bar ends, as they are Most Excellent.

Interesting... The only review I've seen was positive - I suspect that it's a personal preference thing, really. I'm definately with you on keeping a barend shape you like.  :thumbsup:

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2008, 04:57:54 pm »
A mirror mounted at the end of the handlebars are very exposed and easily broken. Would recommend the type that mount on the glasses instead.

It's alot more useful and easy to make yourself!
I like the Beer-view mirror!

WTF! ::-)
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2008, 05:23:57 pm »
I had a dodgy neck once so I ordered a Blackburn mirror from Wiggle for my commuter (I think it was about £7). Neck got better before I fitted the mirror, but I've left it on there and I find it useful. If I'm riding my nice road bike I do miss it. The only problem I have is I need to adjust it everytime I go over a pothole or when the road surface is a bit rough- tends to vibrate it into a different position.

« Reply #11 on: 15 November, 2008, 05:38:40 pm »
Ahhh.... you'll be on the front cover of Arrivee, sporting a beard, weird starey eyes, and a faded hi-viz jacket before too long , Jacomus  ;)

« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2008, 09:07:34 am »
I use the Wildoo Sprintech ones on my Road bikes.  1 pair is enough for 2 bikes as I have only fitted them on the RH side.  They do seem very good and only need re positioning when I knock them with my knee, which is very infrequantly.

Geoff

PS I would post a link if I could remember how  :-[   :-[
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2008, 10:42:16 am »
http://www.wildoo.co.uk/mirrors.htm

They look good.  :thumbsup:

Not sure they can be used with barends, unfortunately.

« Reply #14 on: 16 November, 2008, 03:09:23 pm »
Thanks PhilO   :thumbsup:

May be the Sprintech ones could go into the end of the Bar ends, looking looking a bit like the Flat bar ones shown.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #15 on: 16 November, 2008, 05:37:36 pm »
I had a Bike Eye. I thought it was OK but no substitute for the previous mirror that mounted on the brake hood. However, I hadn't even thought about the consequences of using panniers until I used panniers. The Bike Eye is rendered completely useless as all you see it your pannier. To be fair, I think Bike Eye point this out in their literature now.

I quite like the look of those Sprintech ones myself. Now where did I put that letter to Santa I was writing?

« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2008, 09:37:27 pm »
I have the Sprintech ones.  I think they are absolutely fantastic and would recommend then any time.

But one of the lads from CTC bought them on my advice and hated them, taking them off and putting them in the shed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: 17 November, 2008, 10:47:14 am »
Mountain Mirrycle gives a reasonable view but the stalk is made of cheese.  I've got a couple of Blackburn ones on the Trice, which seem a bit less prone to disappearing into the undergrowth at odd times.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

PH

« Reply #18 on: 17 November, 2008, 06:49:33 pm »
The B&M Cycle Star comes in a few different options;
Busch & Müller KG - Rear view mirrors for bicycles
Some fit either round the bars or in the end.  I combined a short one with bar ends, pointed it down and sticking out slightly, gave a reasonable view, didn't get in the way of the bar ends, but did need frequent adjustment.
I also have a Springtech, IMO the B&M gives a better view and the fitting is more secure (expanding wedge rather than push fit) the Springtech looks sleeker.

« Reply #19 on: 17 November, 2008, 11:11:56 pm »
I got one of these for mrs hatler which worked well enough until she dropped the bike on it.

A new one is on its way.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20 on: 17 November, 2008, 11:20:29 pm »
I fiddled about with mirrors for a few years, until I decided they were more faff than benefit.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #21 on: 17 November, 2008, 11:27:45 pm »
The only time I've ever been knocked off my bike by a car, was the day I experimented with a mirror for the first (and last) time.  It was, of course, my fault for not looking where I was going.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #22 on: 18 November, 2008, 02:16:45 am »
I fiddled about with mirrors for a few years, until I decided they were more faff than benefit.

If it hadn't been for the Sprintech (and a similar design beforehand) I'd have agreed with you.  Any mirror I have tried that is on a stalk or sticks out is crap.  It gets knocked all the time, and has no image thanks to vibration.

The mirrors that go directly into the bar ends, and form an extension to the bars, are the good exception to the rule.