Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2172242 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13225 on: 15 September, 2018, 06:26:41 pm »
One of those days when I have done loadsa little jobs, but not one I can point to and say 'look at that!'

Fitted some WTB folding tyres to the MTB. They now look great. They won't be on long before the spikers go on for the winter.
Burped the MTB's brakes.
Fitted some Raw mudguards to the Ortler ebike. Look good.
Chopped off some protruding roots from the ash tree that was stopping the back gate from opening. Be nice if it sees the ash off. It's gradually pushing a garden wall up.
Chopped up some bay tree branches I lopped off a couple of weeks ago
Thought about chopping up a redcurrant bush I chopped down a while ago. Thought better of it.
Cleaned the Ortler
Lubed the MTB's chain
Put a non-suspension seatpost on the Ortler to replace the pogo stick that was on before. Nice Selle Royal saddle into the bargain. A short test ride went well, but I still need to tweak the riding position so it's a little lower.

That was all before noon. After that I took it easy. A fellow can overdo things, you know.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13226 on: 15 September, 2018, 07:36:20 pm »
Sawed up some long chunks of wood so they'd fit in the stove.
Made a big sack of kindling.
Ready for winter now. (Except I need to buy more wood briquettes at some point, and the bathroom radiator still needs plumbing in).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13227 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:19:24 am »
Sawed up some long chunks of wood so they'd fit in the stove.
Made a big sack of kindling.
Ready for winter now. (Except I need to buy more wood briquettes at some point, and the bathroom radiator still needs plumbing in).
I did that last weekend!  Cutting up pallets and keeping the bits without nails (which jam the riddling grate).  Then the bags go in the (bizarrely huge) airing cupboard.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13228 on: 16 September, 2018, 11:18:47 am »
I've got a half pallet that needs dismembering but I decided I couldn't be arsed. We don't riddle being as we only burn wood (the grate is set to closed) so I was thinking about not bothering removing the nails and just hacking it up.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13229 on: 18 September, 2018, 08:01:44 pm »
Sleeved a PF30 BB shell down to ISO/BSC with the FSA adaptor.  Bit nerve-racking on someone else's carbon frame!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13230 on: 18 September, 2018, 08:17:34 pm »
i've noticed that shifting became less crisp recently, as it became apparent due to sloppy jockey wheel(s). replaced them with tacx sealed bearing ones and shifting is back to normal again.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #13231 on: 19 September, 2018, 03:09:26 am »
1) Mom's garden.

2) This:

P1040830 by Andrij, on Flickr
Replaced the brake blocks, bolted on the bottle cage, then added my Carradice. 

A friend is letting me borrow this GTR 4 Series during my Leftpondian visit.  Took it for a spin around the block and all is well.  Now I just need to figure out how to fit in rides around all the other things going on here.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #13232 on: 19 September, 2018, 08:33:25 pm »
A traditional Danish turf ridge for the house....that's 30% of it anyway.

Only 7 tonnes to go......

rogerzilla

« Reply #13233 on: 21 September, 2018, 03:04:09 pm »
Got a horrible, horrible Coleman lantern working.  Kim - thorium mantles!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13234 on: 21 September, 2018, 03:48:10 pm »

That is, if you'll pardon the expression, seriously cool.  And you'll be able to graze goats on it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13235 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:06:02 pm »

That is, if you'll pardon the expression, seriously cool.  And you'll be able to graze goats on it.

I want to see the 'after' photos of pygmy goats standing on Aunt Maud's roof  :thumbsup:

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13236 on: 22 September, 2018, 07:59:57 am »
Cleaned the 'winter' recumbent, and cleaned and lubed the chain, after its summer sitting in the corner of the garage while its big brother, the 700c recumbent, does all the work.

But now the days are shorter, the winds windier, and the rain wetter, it's time to think ahead a few weeks to when the big 'bent goes to bed for the long dark days, and its little brother, shod with it's thorn-resistant Marathon Racers and mudguards, splashes about in the puddles, amongst the hawthorn hedge trimmings kindly spread across the road by the local hedge-manglers.

And as a reward, I took it for a short spin to the vet's to pick up the dog's car sickness pills ready for tomorrows long trip to Pembrokeshire.  I can report that the new Ventisit seat pad is perfect, and the little 'bent is ready for winter.  Even if I'm not.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #13237 on: 22 September, 2018, 08:24:43 am »
Marathon Racers thorn-resistant? Not in my world!

Durano Plus have served me well, except they are no longer making 20” ones  :(
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13238 on: 22 September, 2018, 09:20:32 am »

Well, according to the Continental website, they are supposed to be almost as good as the M+, which I've had, and tried the Racers to see if they were a bit quicker. 

Having said that, the only thorn-related punc*ure I've had was about 50 miles after I fitted the M+, several years ago.

The Racers did succumb to a bit of wire recently.  But I'll forgive them that.

I live in hawthorn hedge country and you have to do whatever you can, otherwise you'd be full time punc*ure fixing.  Now, I've blown it.  Bound to get some visits now…..

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #13239 on: 22 September, 2018, 09:46:13 am »

Well, according to the Continental website, they are supposed to be almost as good as the M+, which I've had, and tried the Racers to see if they were a bit quicker. 

Having said that, the only thorn-related punc*ure I've had was about 50 miles after I fitted the M+, several years ago.

The Racers did succumb to a bit of wire recently.  But I'll forgive them that.

I live in hawthorn hedge country and you have to do whatever you can, otherwise you'd be full time punc*ure fixing.  Now, I've blown it.  Bound to get some visits now…..
I guess you mean the Schwalbe Website.

My experience with the racers was bad (wore too quickly and too puncture prone). A friend has a marathon racer on the rear wheel of his velomobile and he is about to swap that to a marathon greenguard (the normal one) as he had two punctures. A rear wheel puncture in a velomobile is a pain, and with mine much more as I have to take out the rear wheel. I originally had kojaks on the back and swapped for marathon greenguard after two punctures. Nine since, and that's two years and 15.000km. Only one front wheel puncture in a Durano Plus and it had done 8.000km at that point. I live in an agricultural area so lots of flints on the road. We ride in deepest darkest winter too, and it can get down to minus ten here in Germany.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13240 on: 22 September, 2018, 10:47:47 am »
I guess you mean the Schwalbe Website.

Indeed I do.  Confused with the Hardshells I have on my700c recumbent.  Doh!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13241 on: 22 September, 2018, 04:41:30 pm »
Switched the caged bearings on the Claud Butler for loose ball bearings. The crown race looks very notchy, but hopefully this will keep the bike going for a while.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #13242 on: 23 September, 2018, 02:12:22 pm »
Dismantled front of tumble drier to find the bad connection that's been causing the display to flicker and the buzzer to sound.  Contacts on rotary control cleaned and normal operation restored.  4th fix of that machine.

Dismantled hob to find part number of the failed element - unavailable.  I could put a lower power one in but I've always suspected the biggest ring was two stage with one stage failed.  That is now confirmed and that element is unavailable too so ordered a complete new hob.

Replaced cat flap, it's a microchip jobbie and the electronics failed.  Only about 5 years old.  Had to fit the exact same model again as the alternatives are barely bigger than the hole in the door.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13243 on: 23 September, 2018, 03:59:15 pm »
Built up 3/4 of a touring bike for a friend : Ti frame and carbon forks purchased from another friend and groupset/wheels/tyres/saddle etc  all new on a stonking trade deal from Madison.

She's coming round later for a fitting to get stem/shifters positioned before cabling, bartape and finishing with mudguards and rack.

Oh, and I made a "toilet roll holder" out of MDF bits to house the blue paper roll at my shop.

Rob

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13244 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:29:20 pm »
Finished the laminate flooring in my bedroom. The edge bit by the built in wardrobe took a bit off thinking,  but a right angled moulding just about matches the height of the floor runner and drops neatly into the slot tween flooring and runner. Verdict: quite pleased with my l33t flooring skills.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

« Reply #13245 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:20:05 pm »
Replaced the screw-in pulleys that were holding four bikes in the garage roof with more substantial metal pulleys secured by 100kg strength chain around the roof beam.  More confident now that I won't one day find a bike embedded in the car roof.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13246 on: 27 September, 2018, 02:23:20 pm »
With the aid of the old standbys gaffer tape and superglue I have reattached the arm of my specs that I b0rked off last week.  Probably won't last before needing refettling and the next time I need new lenses I'll have to get new frames as well, but at least they don't fall off when I yawn any more.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #13247 on: 28 September, 2018, 07:42:30 am »
Stripped and cleaned another secondhand Coleman lantern.  Thankfully this one hadn't been run on petrol, so wasn't clogged.  Mantles didn't survive the post, so I haven't tried it yet.  Interested to see if a twin mantle 285 produces more light than a single mantle 282, given that they use exactly the same generator tube and gas jet and would be expected to have the same fuel flow.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13248 on: 28 September, 2018, 12:05:47 pm »
Stripped and cleaned another secondhand Coleman lantern.  Thankfully this one hadn't been run on petrol, so wasn't clogged.  Mantles didn't survive the post, so I haven't tried it yet.  Interested to see if a twin mantle 285 produces more light than a single mantle 282, given that they use exactly the same generator tube and gas jet and would be expected to have the same fuel flow.

Are you preparing for the post-Brexit dystopia or something, RZ?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13249 on: 29 September, 2018, 03:21:12 pm »
Decommissioned a pair of 500watt halogen floodlights from my garden - on the basis that they required their own, dedicated Drax B to run them.
Replaced them with a pair of PIR activated 30watt LED ones.
I think they may be a little dimmer than their predecessors but the planet may feel a little less slain, and the foxes will still be able to see where they are shitting.