Author Topic: Kernow & SW 600k 2016  (Read 4735 times)

simonp

Kernow & SW 600k 2016
« on: 13 April, 2016, 03:13:39 pm »
Right.

Didn't get my BCM entry in time.

I'm intending to get round this time, so it'll be gears.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Kernow & SW 600k 2016
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2016, 03:40:25 pm »
Coolio, I'm having another crack at it this year.  Not done the new "via Barnstaple" route version before

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2016, 04:05:52 pm »
For once I am hoping that the weather forecast for next weekend stays like it is at the moment

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2016, 06:00:06 pm »
I'm in. I've just done a 'weather bagel' and all looking good. A slight headwind on the night section up to Bude but nothing out of the ordinary. I've never cycled up the A39, I've driven it a few years ago and can't say I'm looking forward to cycling it in the dark too much. Am I worrying over nothing?

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:59:45 pm »
I'm in. I've just done a 'weather bagel' and all looking good. A slight headwind on the night section up to Bude but nothing out of the ordinary. I've never cycled up the A39, I've driven it a few years ago and can't say I'm looking forward to cycling it in the dark too much. Am I worrying over nothing?

Wasn't a cause for concern when i did it a couple of years ago: it was really quiet, and being fairly straight the cars can see you for ages, and generally pull well over as they go past.

Getting to Newquay by 11pm is fairly crucial, as if you miss the Tesco Express there's nothing until Bude.  :o

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:15:04 pm »
A39 is quiet assuming you're not super fast and hit it in the evening.

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:25:27 pm »
A multiple past winner of the National 24 has entered this time.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2016, 02:39:35 pm »

The A39 is a good bit of the route.  It's deserted at that time of night, the road surface is fine and it's not full of short spikey hills

« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2016, 06:44:05 pm »
Don't you just love cock-ups! I have had to email KSW600 riders as follows:-

Please note that there is a change to the finish venue. Apologies for the short notice.

Instead of turning right into Blackhorse Lane at 599k, continue straight on, then:-

take middle bus lane and
R at trls into bus lane 600k
2nd exit rbt sp Met Office 600.7k
1st R 601k
1st R into rear of the Barn Owl PH. 601.1k
FINISH rear door.
There will be free sandwiches there.
GPX file here

« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:55:30 pm »
Don't you just love cock-ups! I have had to email KSW600 riders as follows:-

Please note that there is a change to the finish venue. Apologies for the short notice.

Instead of turning right into Blackhorse Lane at 599k, continue straight on, then:-

There will be free sandwiches there.
GPX file here
That means I don't need to worry about finishing early except I may fail to wobble to my 18:XX train... hic.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2016, 09:45:46 pm »
now back home after getting a lift back(!) with Richard S

Very sore due to riding new bike that needs fine tuning

Saw a badger

When I left the finish it looked like all the starters were going to make it round, apparently a first

The weather wasn't great on the Saturday.  I was in fog from leaving home at 4:30 until just before Loo at noon

In the evening the mist rolled in again

Sunday was a perfect day however.   Even the brisk northerly wind was a plus with a tail wind for the Bridgwater to Seaton leg

« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2016, 09:48:42 pm »
There were no DNFs, which may be a first for any of my events.

« Reply #12 on: 30 May, 2016, 08:07:04 am »
many thanks Ian for organizing,please pass on my gratitude too your team of volunteers for looking after us. excuse the pun!! my highs/and lows double scoop toffee fudge ice-cream in Seaton, inconsiderate motorists on the A38
Remember don't eat yellow snow

« Reply #13 on: 30 May, 2016, 09:36:34 am »
That must be the most uniformly friendly, competent, and fit bunch of cyclists I have had the pleasure of dealing with.

Thanks to everyone who helped:  Simon and crew at Penzance; Mark, Matt, Roger, Richard and Elly at Bude;  and a guest appearance by Chuffy at the finish.

This is likely to be the last Kernow & Southwest 600 that I organise.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2016, 02:14:27 pm »
A tough but very rewarding couple of days, we couldn't have asked for better weather. My worrying about the A39 was for nothing, it turned out to be pretty atmospheric riding in and out of the mist in the dark. I left the last control at Seaton with that ' in the bag' feeling not knowing that the climb up from Branscombe was coming!

A massive thanks to all the helpers, the food at Penzance was amazing and the overnight helpers at Bude wonderful.

Thanks to Ian for organising, a shame if it's your last one but you'll certainly be bowing out on a high!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 30 May, 2016, 07:40:24 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:11:04 pm »
Well, that was without doubt the most enjoyable audax ride I have done. The route was fantastic - some roads that I know and love, and others new that I would never find other than doing this ride. The 'busy' roads were also part of the high lights - riding through the mist at night high up on the A39  with little traffic, I thought I might be in  a scene from the hound of the Baskervilles. The weather was proper Cornish with a bit of everything at any time without any warning or predictability but that was the fun of it. There  were many highlights, one of the best being sitting in the sunshine eating ice cream waiting for the ferry at Polruan. I road with great company, and also good times riding alone , happy knowing that I was still part of something even without anyone else around.

I would like to really say a huge thanks to absolutely everyone involved in this event.

To Ian - A special thank you for putting this event on. It must take alot of effort and I would like you to know that it is greatly appreciated. You say it is your last one, but I would like to you to know that for me it is  one of the greats for 600s or any distance in fact.

To all the helpers at Penzance - Wow! It was worth entering and catching the train to Penzance for such a spread of proper biker friendly food and to be treated with such great  service and encouragement. When you get back to your bike to find the bottles have been filled with fresh water, you know you have just met the people that could write the book on how to treat a cyclist! 

To all at Bude - It was a wonderfully reassuring feeling to find the warm and welcoming night time refuge after coming in of the hills and fog in the dark. It almost felt like doing this kind of thing was normal! The warming special Ian home brew stew did a great job of revitalizing body and soul after too many mars bars. Everybody was encouraging and looked after you making sure you were ok and got what you needed, and still able to chat and lift the spirits of cyclists that are probably not all that compus mentis in the early hours.

Lastly - thanks to the people of Pinhoe Road in Exeter at the end for keeping such well tended and soft clean grass verge for me to kip on whilst the sun shone on Sunday!

« Reply #17 on: 02 June, 2016, 09:26:25 am »
The reward for organising is the weary smile of the knackered rider at the finish. 

Not that Mr Bath looked particularly weary, even after finishing about the time I was having Sunday breakfast.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2016, 05:09:57 pm »
Just catching up with a few threads on my occasional dips into the forum. This thread made me :D - hurrah for audax.
I am resigned to not riding anything this year due to personal chaos and all the usual... still feel the call of the road, and the K&SW remains a distant goal for a year yet to come.