Author Topic: The Planets Suite  (Read 1145 times)

Martin

The Planets Suite
« on: 02 July, 2019, 12:54:45 pm »
To think I bought this in Woolies at the time everyone else was buying Deep Purple in the 70s

Went to the HD concert at the Albert Hall on Sunday; absolutely gobsmacking performance by the RPO and also amazing visual show.

I bought the CD which also featured Pluto (written in 2000 although presumably they can now drop it as it's no longer a planet) naah sorry doesn't work!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: The Planets Suite
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2019, 01:28:14 pm »
I bought the CD which also featured Pluto (written in 2000 although presumably they can now drop it as it's no longer a planet)

Surely that could be released as a single?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2019, 04:10:22 pm »
It wasn't written by Holst anyway. According to Wiki it's now included in another 5-movement trombone quintet dedicated to a selection of asteroids, and there's yet another suite called Asteroids.  If they ever get round to exoplanets the orchestra is going to drop dead before the end of the list.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:09:50 pm »
It's years since I've listened to anything by Holst, but I remember thinking it (probably a Planet) was laughably clunking and predictable.  Perhaps I should listen again, see whether he can change my mind.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:11:35 pm »
Surely they need to dedicate a movement to each of the moons of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune before they move on to the Oort Cloud.  Or perhaps they could go grander and dedicate on to the local super-cluster of galaxies  :hand:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2019, 07:19:31 pm »
It's years since I've listened to anything by Holst, but I remember thinking it (probably a Planet) was laughably clunking and predictable.  Perhaps I should listen again, see whether he can change my mind.

ah well I'm what some would call a "Hovis advert" type of classical music fan. The full Carmina Burana is fantastic but I'm only going again coz it also has the music from Babe....