Author Topic: Armstrong to join Astana  (Read 10058 times)

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Armstrong to join Astana
« on: 24 September, 2008, 12:05:21 pm »
Probably.

And Contador will be somewhat displeased if he does and may go elsewhere.  Which should give rise to some interesting rivalry in forthcoming Tours. 

It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Armstrong to join Astana
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
Surprising.

Kazakh owners happy to ditch the currently most successful rider to accommodate a big name comeback which may backfire, but,  pragmatically, will lead to lots of publicity.

Interesting to read the comments from other riders in the comic.  Knowing that Armstrong rides a very psychological game, it sounds to me that a lot of them are resigned already to letting him win.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2008, 12:35:17 pm »
Surprising.

Not at all.  Astana grew from the corpse of Discovery and USPS.  Bruyneel managed all of Armstrongs tour wins.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2008, 01:06:06 pm »
I know the Bruyneel connection, but I would have thought that Armstrong would poach Johann and build his own team, rather than (given the feeling about him particularly in the home of Le tour) ride for a team with more than a whiff of Operacion Puerto about it.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2008, 01:15:15 pm »
[...]given the feeling about him particularly in the home of Le tour[...]

And given Astana rather sulfurous reputation on the Tour as well!

And it isn't very American to ride for Kazakhstan either.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2008, 01:15:52 pm »
True that...
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2008, 01:29:51 pm »
Good points.  Guess it's down to Bruyneel, then.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2008, 02:31:38 pm »
I dont understand how Astana can be confident of getting the gig ,and I would have thought Armstrong joining them might only have reduced their chances.

« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2008, 02:56:50 pm »
Armstrong never tested positive... or had any concrete implications. 

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2008, 02:59:27 pm »
Yeah I know ,what I meant was given French dislike of Armstrong the Astana connection would give reason indirectly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2008, 03:04:28 pm »
Surely the one thing Lance is NOT trying to achieve is to make friends with the French?!?

Or have i missed an armistice somewhere in all this ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »
I think they'd be hard pushed to exclude Astana again.

« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2008, 07:10:23 pm »
Hope Contador does go elsewhere.

« Reply #13 on: 24 September, 2008, 09:07:11 pm »
Agreed.  There's Contador, maybe Sastre in the frame against Armstrong.  Should be one hell of a scrap  :thumbsup:

(Cadel Evans will be frankly irrelevant IMO)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2008, 08:32:11 am »
Armstrong never tested positive... <snip>
And that's sort  of what niggles.  He would always say, "I've never tested +ve".  Until recently he has (AFAIK) never said, "I never doped." and there is an important difference between the two.

He did say, in  the last week or so when the comeback was being talked about, "I didn't dope in 2001 so why would I dope now." or words to that effect.  My 1st reaction was huzzah, he's finally said (in a roundabout way), "I didn't dope.", but then I noticed that he hadn't said "1999 or 2000 " or even "I've never doped so why would I dope now." 

I'd be very pleased if someone could turn up a quote were he says unequivocally, "I never doped."

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 25 September, 2008, 08:52:37 am »
And that's sort  of what niggles.  He would always say, "I've never tested +ve".  Until recently he has (AFAIK) never said, "I never doped." and there is an important difference between the two.

He did say, in  the last week or so when the comeback was being talked about, "I didn't dope in 2001 so why would I dope now." or words to that effect.  My 1st reaction was huzzah, he's finally said (in a roundabout way), "I didn't dope.", but then I noticed that he hadn't said "1999 or 2000 " or even "I've never doped so why would I dope now." 

I'd be very pleased if someone could turn up a quote were he says unequivocally, "I never doped."

And then you'd be happy?

I doubt it.

Let's just assume they all doped, including all the great champions.  The only ones that tend to admit it are the ones who got caught.  I don't remember anyone mentioning it as they stood on the winner's rostrum being showered with money.

What are you looking for exactly?

He won the TdF an incredible 7 times, if he was clean the na breath-taking achievement.

If he doped then still a breath-taking achievement (considering that everyone on his back wheel was doping as well).

« Reply #16 on: 25 September, 2008, 08:55:26 am »
(considering that everyone on his back wheel was doping as well).

Really?! I think you ought to consider that some countries do have a strict anti-doping policy and have had a system in place for some 10 years...

« Reply #17 on: 25 September, 2008, 09:25:48 am »
Yeah, by that you mean the French.

..... and which French rider was ever on Armstrongs wheel????

;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #18 on: 25 September, 2008, 09:33:10 am »
Yeah, by that you mean the French.

..... and which French rider was ever on Armstrongs wheel????

Well this is an argument they may have had legitimately, no?! If they are closely monitored all year long... Not specifically behind Armstrong, mind.

« Reply #19 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:00:22 am »

Although I can't be arsed to find a quote, I've heard him say on TV (many times) "I have never taken performance enhancing drugs". I've never heard him say "I have never tested positive" :shrugs:

BTW, I'm neither a Lance fan boi or a Lance hater. I just think he's a knob. A knob who can ride a bicycle...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:17:49 am »
...I just think he's a knob. A knob who can ride a bicycle...

The most accurate assessment of the man's career I've ever seen.
Getting there...

gonzo

« Reply #21 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:27:38 am »
Bear in mind that he's under a lifetime contract to ride a Trek.

« Reply #22 on: 25 September, 2008, 11:55:25 am »
Contracts can be broken if the money is right  ;)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #23 on: 25 September, 2008, 02:28:02 pm »
<snip>

And then you'd be happy?
<snip>

Yup. I would. He says, "I've never doped." rather than some truthful but otherwise 'ambiguous' line about, "I've never tested +ve" and as the tests so far show no evidence of doping then that would satisfy me completely. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #24 on: 26 September, 2008, 08:13:56 am »
I dont understand how Astana can be confident of getting the gig ,and I would have thought Armstrong joining them might only have reduced their chances.

I think the absolute opposite is true.  Provided that Astana suffer no 'mishaps', having Armstrong on their team is a virtual guarantee of invitation to the TdF...

...think of the tv licensing revenues from the US.  Remember, it isn't primarily a sporting event, but a commercial one.