Author Topic: Top twelve bikes for audax  (Read 9611 times)

Davef

Re: Top twelve bikes for audax
« Reply #50 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:34:46 am »
A wood burning Moulton? That beats an ebike in the conversation stakes!
You can get a wood burning phone charger. Take a long time to charge an ebike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've got a genius idea. A dynamo-charged ebike! Now, why has no one made one of those yet?  ;)
Thst would actually work, in a regenerative braking manner.  Big dynamo locked out during pedalling, charges battery when freewheeling.  Would take all the fun out of riding, as you'd need to pedal most of the time to avoid sharp deceleration.  Could get you up hills nicely with electric assist, though.
Some (but very few) ebikes have regenerative braking. It contributes about as much as the wood burning phone charger.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #51 on: 11 June, 2020, 12:24:45 pm »
   My favourite Audax bike was my R520 steel Dawes Horizon, which felt quite quick and springy when set up with lighter tyres.
I have memories of trying to keep up with you riding that on the Fridays' LEJoG trip some years ago. Happy days.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 11 June, 2020, 01:18:57 pm »
A wood burning Moulton? That beats an ebike in the conversation stakes!
You can get a wood burning phone charger. Take a long time to charge an ebike.

I've got a genius idea. A dynamo-charged ebike! Now, why has no one made one of those yet?  ;)
Thst would actually work, in a regenerative braking manner.  Big dynamo locked out during pedalling, charges battery when freewheeling.  Would take all the fun out of riding, as you'd need to pedal most of the time to avoid sharp deceleration.  Could get you up hills nicely with electric assist, though.
Some (but very few) ebikes have regenerative braking. It contributes about as much as the wood burning phone charger.

Any gearless hub motor can do it, given the right software.  It's mostly useful as an anti-lock brake.

« Reply #53 on: 11 June, 2020, 01:41:18 pm »
I do have one of the bikes on this list and have used it for Audax.  It's not my best bike for Audax, which is not on the list, but I guess you can't buy a new Roberts anymore.

Geoff Roberts is still building.   Based in Sussex these days.

http://www.geoffrobertsframes.co.uk/

And Roberts' (of Croydon) framebuilder(s) have set up on their own after Roberts closed down.

« Reply #54 on: 11 June, 2020, 10:07:39 pm »
I have just clicked on the link to get a URL and a blank page. Probably about as relevant as the original article I would guess, reading your various comments (although I do like the idea of a wood-burning e-bike just need a big trailer to haul the power-station on).

« Reply #55 on: 12 June, 2020, 07:32:01 pm »
Hmm, I've a Longstaff Compact Audax bike.
Sadly no longer an option
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 12 June, 2020, 08:32:15 pm »
I have just clicked on the link to get a URL and a blank page. Probably about as relevant as the original article I would guess, reading your various comments (although I do like the idea of a wood-burning e-bike just need a big trailer to haul the power-station on).
This link? https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/12-best-audax-bikes-257956
Should still work.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #57 on: 12 June, 2020, 09:04:52 pm »
Are they just recycling articles? That says published last week, yet some of the comments are a year old?
Every bike I've owned for the last twenty years (There's been a few) has been an Audax bike and except the one I didn't like, none of them looks anything like those ;)