Author Topic: Vicky Pendleton...oh my  (Read 94228 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Vicky Pendleton...oh my
« on: 21 April, 2008, 12:16:03 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Vicky Pendleton...oh my
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:20:26 pm »
Damn  :demon:

Our little secret is out  :'( :'(

I wish........ ::-)

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:33:54 am »
Hmmm, I'm going off her a bit. Her head seems to be getting somewhat large.

Yeah, yeah, she is really fit. But my gosh, don't she just know it!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:37:38 am »
Hmmm, I'm going off her a bit. Her head seems to be getting somewhat large.

Yeah, yeah, she is really fit. But my gosh, don't she just know it!  :P

So what? I definitely would.

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:43:22 am »
She's nearly as arrogant as Lance Armstrong, but then we don't like arrogance in our womenfolk, do we.

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:45:09 am »
She is a media tart, and is known in The Chateau as "That media tart Pendleton".

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:46:54 am »
Mrs. Wow is exactly the same.

Fourteen ball of wool a day sometimes. I play second fiddle to a sheep and I know it.

But I've got a beautiful blue hand-spun hand-knitted merino cycling hat. What more does a chap need?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:50:23 am »
I play second fiddle to a sheep and I know it.

I think you've mentioned your Welsh connections previously  :P

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:57:17 am »
Well she was very nice and not at all arrogant or big-headed when I met her at Revolution the other month.
a great mind thinks alike

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:00:30 pm »
So a genuine British Sporting Goddess tells a journalist that she's seeing a bloke who she doesn't want to settle down with?

So she knows she looks good in the buff and she's confident about her amazing body?

So it's quite possibly more about the sex than the dinner date?

So bloody good on her. 

If that's what it takes to win gold, then she should go for it.  I'm only disappointed that she didn't say she's actually got two fellas on the go.  Or a fella and a young lady. 

Or both  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:02:37 pm »
So a genuine British Sporting Goddess tells a journalist that she's seeing a bloke who she doesn't want to settle down with?

So she knows she looks good in the buff and she's confident about her amazing body?

So it's quite possibly more about the sex than the dinner date?

So bloody good on her. 

If that's what it takes to win gold, then she should go for it.  I'm only disappointed that she didn't say she's actually got two fellas on the go.  Or a fella and a young lady. 

Or both  :)

Or a red haired London fixie chick....

I'm not sure this really shows her as being arrogant or full of herself to be honest.

She's very very good at what she does and the press are naturally going to sell the sex angle, and the fact that she's attractive, I'd doubt she was the one driving the direction the questions headed.

And there is very likely a big gap (as JT has seen) between the media persona and the reality.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:02:56 pm »
Or a fella and a young lady.  Or both  :)

At the same time ;D

I see this heading for NSFW
Pen Pusher

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:05:39 pm »
I think she's pretty modest, bearing in mind she holds several world championships. Is she not allowed a little self-belief?

As for her personal life, so what if she's got a f***-buddy?

Elleigh

« Reply #13 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:12:05 pm »
God, she does love herself, don't she.  :sick:

I agree and I don't like her because she is skinny and I am jealous.  :P  But V, she may have an solution to your cycling fitness issue..... but can woolly take it!!  ;)

Kathy

« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:24:19 pm »
Y'know, too many women don't take up cycling, because they think it's a "macho" thing, or (gods forbid) they might find themselves looking all muscley. Then along comes a sexy female who proves that it's possible to kick the arses of all the testosterone-doping gender-uncertain iron-curtain-shot-putter-looking old-style female atheletes, and does it all wearing make-up. And what do we do? We slag her off for being too girly. >:(

I say "Go Vicky!" :)

« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:27:40 pm »
As for her personal life, so what if she's got a f***-buddy?

I have no problem with that. I'd happily be her f*** buddy, although I'm a bit out of her league  :P

She's an amazing athlete, but her head is so rapidly going up her own arse that it's coming back out of her head again! (An interesting mental image!)

I guess we mere mortals like our sports stars to be modest. The most popular ones always are. That's the very reason Armstrong is fairly unpopular amongst cycling fans (glory hunters and Man U supporters aside). Can't take anything away from what he achieved, but he's a bit of a knob.....

Nick H.

« Reply #16 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:42:40 pm »
I can't see any arrogance at all in what she said. Good grief, what the hell's the matter with a confident woman, you lot?  And you've got to remember that the article has been edited to make it as controversial as possible. And she got heavy criticism for posing nude and was forced to justify it. And the paper is pissed off with her because she didn't speak to them - all they've done is a cut and paste job of something printed elsewhere, and journalistic pride demands that they chop it up and change the meaning so they can make it look like they've done some work.

Edit: that article was written by the Daily Arsewipe Mail! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=557434&in_page_id=1770
All the Bedfordshire rag did was tag on "Miss P did not return our calls." Please don't judge one of our sporting heroes (or anybody else for that matter) by what's written in the Daily Heil.

And the Mail article was a cut and paste job from the MoS: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/othersports.html?in_article_id=557470&in_page_id=1781

And I suspect the MoS article was a cut and paste job from an interview done by another paper.

For a slightly less sex-obsessed angle on her, try this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article3137815.ece

Or this: http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cycling/osm/story/0,,2260308,00.html

But it's all distorted. I would have thought you lot were cynical enough never to trust a newspaper article 100%. You shouldn't judge her without getting to know her personally.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:48:30 pm »
Confidence is hot. 

Let's face it when you're dipping with palmares and the darling of the sporting meeja, it's bound to pump you up a bit.  So what?  It doesn't last forever, enjoy it while it lasts.

And incidentally Vicky, if you're having a dry spell come Beijing, PM me.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #18 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »
I have the same problem with Bill Gates.   ;D
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #19 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:13:04 pm »
I can't see any arrogance at all in what she said. Good grief, what the hell's the matter with a confident woman, you lot? 

Yeah, I absolutely agree. Couldn't see anything arrogant in that. Actually, the bit about why she posed 'nude' seemed quite humble, acknowledging that she is all too human:

"I won't look like this for ever ..."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:17:20 pm »
She still irritates me muchly. Probably because she shares my name and she is all round better than me at everything.

I have the same problem with Bill Gates.   ;D

Whilst I can't deny that Ms Pendleton is a better cyclist and Chairman Bill is a smarter businessman, I think you're both infinitely more gorgeous than your famous namesakes.

:-*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:48:39 pm »
Get your coat pelli, we've pulled.   8)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #22 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:54:56 pm »
God, she does love herself, don't she.  :sick:

But V, she may have an solution to your cycling fitness issue..... but can woolly take it!!  ;)
I'm sure Woolly would very much enjoy being Ms Pendleton ("Goddess on a Bike")'s f*** buddy.
I got everything I need in you my dear, and I'm pretty sure that she might be better than you on a bike atm but in the bed that is another story, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more .....  :)

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:02:54 pm »
I thought she was just being matter-of-fact and honest. If you are one of the best in the world at something, false modesty is a very unbecoming trait. So is blowing your own trumpet too much.

I can't claim to know a great deal about Ms. Pendleton, but that interview seems to display a certain amount of "WYSIWYG".

I think Kathy is absolutely right and I don't think it's a good idea to put anyone on a pedestal, either from the "phwooar" point of view or because she is more athletically successful any of us.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #24 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:15:25 pm »
Ah- the Bedfordshire on Sunday paper, or as it's known locally here, the cat litter on Sunday (as that's all it's good for).

Mind you, I can't see what the problem is.  Basically she's saying train hard, get good muscles, win a few medals, have some nooky and enjoy yourself whilst you're able to.  Better that, than hanging on a street corner drinking cans of lager and kicking old ladies.

Good for her.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein