Author Topic: Virgin Atlantic ad  (Read 11096 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Virgin Atlantic ad
« Reply #25 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
Coming late to the discussion and looking at the ad with fresh eyes, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the woman in red from the training envionment in The Matrix. Add in the the homage to Catch Me If You Can and probably half a dozen other movies and you've got a great ad celebrating Virgin as a bright new company adding some colour to a grey world. Talk of exploiting the miners strike and sexism is just too precious.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:22:42 pm »
TWA (1930 - 2001) was also badly mismanaged - it went into bankruptcy three times ('92, '95 and '01) - before being acquired and absorbed by American Airlines.

TWA 800 probably helped finish them off.  What finished off TWA 800 is still mired in urban myth.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

red marley

« Reply #27 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:45:24 pm »
[...] Talk of exploiting the miners strike and sexism is just too precious.

Too precious because because you think it's not doing those things?
Too precious because you think we shouldn't be concerned if it is doing those things?

Manotea

« Reply #28 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:20:56 pm »
[...] Talk of exploiting the miners strike and sexism is just too precious.

Too precious because because you think it's not doing those things?
Too precious because you think we shouldn't be concerned if it is doing those things?

My perspective is that it is not doing those things. My concern is that people are too quick to assume the worst, and suck the fun out of the world.

It does seem slightly crass to make a throwaway reference in a humorous context to something that seriously blighted the lives of many people - especially as it's very much a living memory. Admittedly not as bad as if they'd mentioned the IRA Brighton bomb, Indira Ghandi's assassination or the Union Carbide meltdown. There were plenty of other big stories they could have referred to without risking offence - Seb Coe and Daley Thompson winning gold in the Olympics, for example, or the first untethered space walk.

The message I took was that they were counterpointing the arrival of glamourous, sexy, colourful Vigin into a miserable grey world, so references to the miners strike as a marker in time we can all relate to is was appropriate.

rogerzilla

« Reply #29 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »
There's an anachronism in the ad; Cellnet didn't start until 1985, as did Racal Vodafone.  They were the first two cellular airtime providers, so the yuppie wouldn't have had his "brick".

« Reply #30 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:30:50 pm »
Yes, I saw that on TV  the other night and I was dead impressed :)

I like(d) it too.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #31 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:48:35 pm »
I saw a Virgin cabin crew on a fag break at Gatwick the other day. They didn't look exactly the same as the advert.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #32 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:53:35 pm »
They didn't look exactly the same as the advert.

Does anything?

« Reply #33 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:05:56 pm »
Yes cat food, but then I was never going to eat that anyway
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

red marley

« Reply #34 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:12:06 pm »
[...] My perspective is that it is not doing those things. My concern is that people are too quick to assume the worst, and suck the fun out of the world.

I hope I'm not too much of a miserable sod, but its worth remembering that the purpose of the ad was not to bring a little joy into our lives, but to persuade us to buy plane tickets from Mr Branson. I'd rather get my fix o' fun from less mercenary sources.

The message I took was that they were counterpointing the arrival of glamourous, sexy, colourful Vigin into a miserable grey world, so references to the miners strike as a marker in time we can all relate to is was appropriate.

I hadn't considered that, but it makes sense. It does seem in remarkably poor taste though ("Hey everyone, forget about those dirty smelly miners and think about colourful things and lovely ladies instead!"). I guess it works because there is enough of the target audience who won't be concerned by the trivialising of that particular event.

« Reply #35 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:35:56 pm »
Yes cat food, but then I was never going to eat that anyway
;D ;D ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #36 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:47:53 pm »
I watched the Youtube clip but did not realise it was not an advert revamped from 25 years ago. My cerebral firewall has been far too well tuned for me to recall almost anything about advertisements.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Manotea

« Reply #37 on: 16 January, 2009, 12:05:50 am »
[...] My perspective is that it is not doing those things. My concern is that people are too quick to assume the worst, and suck the fun out of the world.

I hope I'm not too much of a miserable sod, but its worth remembering that the purpose of the ad was not to bring a little joy into our lives, but to persuade us to buy plane tickets from Mr Branson. I'd rather get my fix o' fun from less mercenary sources.
Well, the purpose of the advert is to celebrate 25 years of Virgin Airline (and persuade us to buy plane tickets from Mr Branson).

Quote from: Manotea link=topic=13779.msg247579#msg247579 date=1232054Oucg456

I hadn't considered that, but it makes sense. It does seem in remarkably poor taste though ("Hey everyone, forget about those dirty smelly miners and think about colourful things and lovely ladies instead!"). I guess it works because there is enough of the target audience who won't be concerned by the trivialising of that particular event.
Ouch. I don't agree that it is trivialising it though it was a bit ham fisted compared to the rest of the ad*. A fleeting reference was all that was required. It occurs to me the headline could just as easily referenced the 3 day week. Would that have been more acceptable?

Edit: *The camera lingered more then necessary , then again it was the opening shot of the ad, so perhaps it was correct to linger to grab the readers attention as to what might be coming next.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2009, 06:34:14 am »
I did not like this. In common wth the "fly a younger fleet" line, it is pure sexism.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:00:33 am »
I hope I'm not too much of a miserable sod, but its worth remembering that the purpose of the ad was not to bring a little joy into our lives, but to persuade us to buy plane tickets from Mr Branson. .

Since there's this much chance of my buying a ticket from the bewhiskered bluelight-botherer:

--><--

I can view it as an ad.

Yes, it's crass, sexist and insensitive, but also amusing.

Generally a bit shit, really.
Getting there...

Really Ancien

« Reply #40 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:18:28 am »
It would be hard for an advertiser to avoid referencing this.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O0uyIWOU024&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/O0uyIWOU024&rel=1</a>
the Miner's Strike reference is clever, many people are conflicted about the environmental impact of flying, but they are also conflicted about coal mining. The miners were heroes to many of the generation flying the most, but coal is nasty, dirty, and killing Polar Bears. So referencing it taps into the hypocritical part of the mind which allows us to hold conflicting ideas. That also hints at transgression, the film referenced is about deceit and fun, Branson symbolises those values.
There is also the message that BA Cabin Crew are frumpy and old.
I'd rather be mothered on a flight than sold the promise of unobtainable sex, but I'm not in the market for air travel.

Damon.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #41 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:24:03 am »
RA, I think possibly you (along with many others) are reading more into this bit of frippery than was ever intended!

Really Ancien

« Reply #42 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:31:11 am »

There you go, frequent flyer, convinced on global warming, politically aware, target demographic, marketing hole in one.
Cleverer men and women than you or I are employed to consider all the angles.

Damon.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #43 on: 16 January, 2009, 02:29:32 pm »
I'm surprised nobody is getting worked up over the use of striking miners (along with other iconic scenes of the 20th century)  in the current TV advert for Hovis. Is this in some way less offensive?
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

border-rider

« Reply #44 on: 16 January, 2009, 02:31:07 pm »

There you go, frequent flyer, convinced on global warming, politically aware, target demographic, marketing hole in one.
Cleverer men and women than you or I are employed to consider all the angles.

Damon.

yep.

Bang to rights Damon

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #45 on: 16 January, 2009, 02:36:15 pm »
I'm surprised nobody is getting worked up over the use of striking miners (along with other iconic scenes of the 20th century)  in the current TV advert for Hovis. Is this in some way less offensive?

The joy of not having a TV ;D
Getting there...

red marley

« Reply #46 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:35:11 pm »

Me: Fairly frequent flier, convinced on global warming, politically aware, target demographic, marketing FAIL.

I think it is in some ways less offensive in that in that it is being seen in the context of other more serious events (boys off to the trenches, the blitz etc.) rather than tied up with a load of fashion statements. But yes, there is a bit of my grumpybrain that dislikes having our history appropriated by the marketing boyz.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #47 on: 16 January, 2009, 08:21:08 pm »
It's just an advert.  Bit cheeky, but then that's the way Virgin operate.

What I find amusing is the fact that businesses generally are prepared to spend millions on advertising without realising that generally it's wasted. 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #48 on: 16 January, 2009, 08:48:34 pm »
Like the stupid CashCow (or whatever the vehicle with 7 seats is called) one where scaffolding bashes the vehicle. etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #49 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:37:13 pm »
About 1/10 of the way into the advert, the car would be utterly fuX0red.