Author Topic: Fords  (Read 95970 times)

Re: Fords
« Reply #200 on: 25 April, 2019, 10:08:30 pm »

I like those red mudguards too!
OT for this thread, but here it is when I'd just finished the project (based on a Dawes Super Galaxy) it's been tweaked a bit, but the colour scheme remains - bonus point for a YACF bidon!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #201 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:11:48 am »
Nah, I'm just going to put a bit more air in the tyres   O:-)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #202 on: 29 April, 2019, 02:49:13 pm »
Never have done. Never has been.
(Ratby Borough, near Leicester)

Today I didn't. It was - very. Strong unrepeatable words were said (while remaining upright, just!)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #203 on: 25 May, 2019, 09:35:39 pm »
On today's ride with Mrs. F...

Oh, they will! by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Nothing Happened by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #204 on: 22 June, 2019, 02:22:07 pm »
I wasn't tempted for long, even for a laugh, looked a bit deep and gravelly.  Fortunately I didn't have to cross.

River Lambourn, south of Eastbury.

IMG_Lambourn-ford by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #205 on: 21 July, 2019, 11:28:55 pm »
This is the wettest I've ever seen the Clatterin' Brig ford.

IMG_3434_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_3435_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

This post could also go on Bridges for CrinklyLion (and everyone else!), Silly signs and    
Percentage road signs  :)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #206 on: 21 July, 2019, 11:36:52 pm »
This is the wettest I've ever seen the Clatterin' Brig ford.

This post could also go on Bridges for CrinklyLion (and everyone else!), Silly signs and    

Is that an Irish bridge rather than a bog standard Ford?
Surprisingly I've never been up that road...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #207 on: 22 July, 2019, 12:30:08 am »

Shame there isn't a bin, really, otherwise you could lock your bike badly and bag the whole set.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #208 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:24:54 pm »
...Is that an Irish bridge rather than a bog standard Ford?...

After checking Wikipedia and Streetview, I think it is.

« Reply #209 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:39:05 pm »

Dear Mr Eejit, and Mr & Mrs Pingu too
If you're stuck for entertainment on 1 Sept, you can enter either the 100k Drumtochty Dander or the more entertaining Kilrymanjaro 100 mile audax. Even better than going up that road, you get to go down it. Hopefully the ford won't be as wet by then.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #210 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:21:18 pm »
I am unsure of my willingness to mount a steed at that point in September, however it's well placed for me to finally also tick off Carrot hill on my way there... and possibly back...

Edit: However I've just rediscovered why I didn't ECE a previous Forfar ride; it's come up at 75km out and back fae hame as an out and back, may as well consider lapping the Sidlies then.
Edit Edit: Even that needed a tour of the flat bit of Fife to get up to distance, and now I realize would probably need a 5am start... https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30633330
Edit Edit Edit: I could ride home from Forfar from the Kilry and make it bang on 200... but then I'd have to get to Forfar in the first place...  MY brother moved to Westmuir, this is annoyingly 5km short each direction for bumping Kilry to 200, but not as annoying as I am when I visit him :-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #211 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:56:51 pm »

If you're stuck for entertainment on 1 Sept, you can enter either the 100k Drumtochty Dander or the more entertaining Kilrymanjaro 100 mile audax. Even better than going up that road, you get to go down it. Hopefully the ford won't be as wet by then.

Unfortunately for us we shall be driving from Reims to Zeebrugge thus ending our hollybobs, boo. So we'll miss it. Agane.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #212 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:00:08 pm »

I did enjoy that Drumochty Dander 100K last year (even although I did do part of it in reverse!)

Sadly that's my audaxing binned till next year, doubt I'll be bike fit for a good few months now following abdominal surgery  :facepalm:

« Reply #213 on: 17 September, 2019, 02:13:01 pm »
Not particularly impressive as I passed through it today, but it still qualifies. 

Ford over the Maglin Burn near Rothbury, Northumberland.

IMG_20190917_102113913 by Joe B, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #214 on: 17 September, 2019, 07:14:47 pm »
Did we have this one, near Walton, south of Wellesbourne:

In the afternoon, we found a ford, where Nothing didn't happen:

None of the bicycle riders liked the look of the stony bottom, and cycleman made some excuse about mixing water with electricity.  The freshness of the looks-like-tractor-wheels tracks was commented on, and as if on cue a large caterpillar-tracked tractor pulling an Agricultural Machine Thingy™ appeared and demonstrated its fording technique, which Nye would doubtless have appreciated.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #215 on: 24 September, 2019, 04:54:49 pm »
Tunnel Ride veterans will remember this one:

https://twitter.com/BhamUpdates/status/1176504814500495361

Looks like it's been a bit exciting today.

« Reply #216 on: 12 December, 2019, 09:32:59 am »
Never have done. Never has been.
(Ratby Borough, near Leicester)

Today I didn't. It was - very. Strong unrepeatable words were said (while remaining upright, just!)

Relating to this specific ford at Ratby Boroughs in Leicestershire there's a local news story where British Cycling's solicitors are persuing a case against the Local Authority for the slippery surface and alleging the sign was obscured.
I really don't know what to make of this.
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclists-sue-council-after-riding-3631596

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #217 on: 12 December, 2019, 09:49:16 am »
Hmm. I suppose if you're not familiar with fords you might not expect algae. Then again, it's not necessarily a problem if you avoid braking, steering or putting too much power through the pedals for the few seconds it takes to cross that small ford. But looking at the photos, the concrete bottom of the ford does not extend the full width of the tarmac road, which could catch someone out nastily.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #218 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:36:57 pm »
Ford slime is right up there with ice and diesel.  If the front wheel goes, it goes.  Only thing you can do is carry enough speed into it in the hope you'll regain traction on the other side before you tip over, which is perhaps counterintuitive to inexeprienced cyclists.  And that's only sensible if you know the hidden surface isn't hazardous in some other way.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #219 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:57:46 pm »
The photos show a small, shallow ford, with clear water through which you can easily see the concrete surface. Of course, that might not be how it was when they were there (though I note it was two separate occasions). I don't think I'd ride through a ford where I couldn't see the bottom. It's not so much the depth, which can often be judged in other ways, or even the stream, as the risk of hitting submerged stones etc. This one, for instance, I always use the footbridge because the ford is full of boulders:
https://www.englishfords.co.uk/photo_14757080.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #220 on: 12 December, 2019, 06:34:42 pm »
The photos show a small, shallow ford, with clear water through which you can easily see the concrete surface. Of course, that might not be how it was when they were there (though I note it was two separate occasions). I don't think I'd ride through a ford where I couldn't see the bottom. It's not so much the depth, which can often be judged in other ways, or even the stream, as the risk of hitting submerged stones etc. This one, for instance, I always use the footbridge because the ford is full of boulders:
I've only ever seen it as a shallow ford - maybe a couple of inches at most - but yes, it is a concrete surface, and maybe that's the key to why algae has built up to such a degree to make it so slippery.
As I hinted in my posts, I've always powered straight through it (over a number of years) and it was only this last once that it's caught me out. (Un)fortunately it's in a very deep dip, so there's a temptation from either direction to blast down the hill and straight through the water to keep up momentum to get up the other side.
I don't ever recall seeing a footbridge here, but can't say that there isn't one (equally I don't think I've ever seen a pedestrian on this lane either)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #221 on: 13 December, 2019, 06:58:36 pm »
Cuban ford. Fairly slippery.

IMG_4551_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_4552_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #222 on: 13 December, 2019, 07:45:31 pm »
I've only ever seen it as a shallow ford - maybe a couple of inches at most - but yes, it is a concrete surface, and maybe that's the key to why algae has built up to such a degree to make it so slippery.
As I hinted in my posts, I've always powered straight through it (over a number of years) and it was only this last once that it's caught me out. (Un)fortunately it's in a very deep dip, so there's a temptation from either direction to blast down the hill and straight through the water to keep up momentum to get up the other side.
I don't ever recall seeing a footbridge here, but can't say that there isn't one (equally I don't think I've ever seen a pedestrian on this lane either)

The bit that makes me nervous on the Ratby ford is that it isn't perpendicular to the road so there are lateral forces on the wheels that may cause problems if the surface is slippery.  Streetview is here:  https://goo.gl/maps/CiHnVUDAFED7e5q18

I recognise one of the riders and definitely wouldn't describe her as an inexperienced cyclist.  I guess the fractured pelvis explains why I haven't seen her around for a while  :(

« Reply #223 on: 20 March, 2020, 07:27:02 pm »
IMG_20200320_111742917 by Joe B, on Flickr

On the river Wansbeck near to Kirkwelpington.

I didn't need to cross it as I was following the track visible on the opposite side but, my wheels were dirty so why not.

« Reply #224 on: 25 April, 2020, 10:01:58 am »
IMG_20200424_111600603_BURST000_COVER_TOP by Joe B, on Flickr

Same ford as in the photo above but an action shot this time as little Joe.B crosses it on yesterdays ride.
Not as much water flowing as there was when I last came this way 4 or 5 weeks ago, but then we've barely had any rain in the last few weeks.