Author Topic: That’s me out  (Read 3222 times)

paul851

That’s me out
« on: 11 May, 2019, 10:07:40 pm »
Hit by a car on last weekends Llanfair 400 no broken bones but a small bleed on the brain means I am unlikely to complete qualifying,that and the the fact the police have impounded my bike as evidence.

Paul

Re: That’s me out
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2019, 10:32:39 pm »
Sorry to hear that.
Hope things heal up without issue.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2019, 11:54:37 pm »
GWS that is all that counts really.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2019, 06:26:06 am »
Oh bugger.  That's shit.
But canardly is right.
Best wishes.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2019, 07:26:50 am »
GWS
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2019, 07:31:13 am »
Bummer. Still, better not risk anything catastrophic.  GWS
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:30:20 am »
That's a shame. Recover well.

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:31:58 am »
Oh bugger!  I am sorry to hear that and wish you well in your recovery..and your bike too when it is returned.
The amount of mental and physical energy I have put in I know it must be a horible to have the carpet pulled out in such a way...I know it is just a bike ride and there are important things in life to consider, but hey...deflating num-the-less. 
Best wishes Paul.
Rob

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:37:21 am »
Damn. Blast. Hope you get well soon, real fast!
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:55:49 am »
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get well soon, and that is more important than PBP19. There will be other rides, but there's only one you :)
Don't be surprised if you feel a bit down and listless for a while. Exactly what RobD62 is describing.

Oh, and how's the bike?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2019, 10:00:27 am »
That is a real sod.

I hope you get the best outcome from a bad situation and are back on the bike soon.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2019, 10:06:00 pm »
That’s a real bugger, but as up thread says there are more important things than a long bike ride.  Hopefully all positive soon and good luck.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:36:48 pm »
I got hit by a car this weekend too. Fortunately no breaks just tissue damage. I'm hoping to be fit enough for 1/2 June to get my 400 in. 

A few years ago I rode with a chap who had been able to ride his 300 as a perm by ACP due to a personal issue meant he had been delayed. 

Before you throw the towel in I would contact ACP and explain the issue. If the brain bleed can heal in time you may get an extension on qualifying rides.

Good luck, and good to hear you survived the impact

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2019, 11:17:04 am »
Sympathies, I feel you. I've had to give up on another one for the sake of my recently repaired spine. Tried to qualify but I was doing myself a mischief. The day after the decision I was at a "do" and was served this (pic).Someone is just grinding it in.
For Breton pastry newbs it's called a Paris-Brest. Aaaargh.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2019, 11:03:44 am »
I'm out. Recent low mood and longer term low cycling mojo means I just CBA with qualifying. I'm OK riding for an hour or so, then I just want to go home.

Pulling out of this and associated events comes with a massive sense of relief, so clearly I didn't have the mental oomph to do it anyway, and it had become one of the circular subjects of dread that cycle round my head in the bitter watches of the night.

Disappointed? Well - I still like the idea of long-distance cycling, but have come to hate the reality, so no - not really.

S2L

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2019, 02:11:54 pm »
I'm out. Recent low mood and longer term low cycling mojo means I just CBA with qualifying. I'm OK riding for an hour or so, then I just want to go home.

Pulling out of this and associated events comes with a massive sense of relief, so clearly I didn't have the mental oomph to do it anyway, and it had become one of the circular subjects of dread that cycle round my head in the bitter watches of the night.

Disappointed? Well - I still like the idea of long-distance cycling, but have come to hate the reality, so no - not really.

100% with you on this. I still enjoy a 200 if it's scenic, maybe even a 300 if it's really beautiful, but I have no appetite for anything longer.
The 2 AM alarm to drive to the start, the poor sleeping arrangement of 400/600 events, the miles after miles of increasing physical discomfort... nah  :sick:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2019, 05:09:13 pm »
@chris and S2L: A change is often as good as a rest!

Getting my UR badge thingy prodded me to get off an 11-year treadmill; I did different bike stuff the following year, but now I'm signed up for another adventure (with associated 2am starts, crap no sleeping arrangements etc :P)

You have to be really up for these things IMO - better to not bother otherwise. And time spent away can bring back your enthusiasm (or just be fun :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

S2L

« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2019, 05:31:45 pm »
@chris and S2L: A change is often as good as a rest!

Getting my UR badge thingy prodded me to get off an 11-year treadmill; I did different bike stuff the following year, but now I'm signed up for another adventure (with associated 2am starts, crap no sleeping arrangements etc :P)

You have to be really up for these things IMO - better to not bother otherwise. And time spent away can bring back your enthusiasm (or just be fun :) )

Totally,

I also find the all logistics involved very stressful. I like to do Undulates' events as I know how they work... a short drive to Upton Magna, I pitch my tent, I get a decent sleep, I get up, I have breakfast, I do my thing, I come back, I go to the pub (if 300 or less) I collapse in my tent and it's done, no stress. This year he is on temporary leave.  :'(
With other events, it's never quite clear what the arrangements are, if any, so back to the 2 AM alarm and then what to do at the finish... Shall I drive after 300-400-600 km?

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 19 May, 2019, 06:59:10 pm »
I stopped doing so much Audax in the last few years while getting into rowing and coming back this year has been made harder by the lack of miles early on, but it also is a change now rather than more of the same, so I'm enjoying it more than I did a couple of years back when I finished off the UR award.

« Reply #19 on: 20 May, 2019, 06:03:46 am »

Pulling out of this and associated events comes with a massive sense of relief, so clearly I didn't have the mental oomph to do it anyway, and it had become one of the circular subjects of dread that cycle round my head in the bitter watches of the night

There is often a bit of that low mood / low cycling mojo going about, if you find a good cure let me know, NHS should do something about it. Even the pros , maybe especially the pros, can catch it, a change is often a good idea, try some naked winter night fell running , that's pretty close to audaxing our maybe take up mr froome's latest variation of cycling, good luck, hope it works out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-48293267 (See 5th photo)

As bad as it gets some of these photos suggest others have it worse and even when it is bad there can be light at the end of the tunnel but you need to look for it

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 20 May, 2019, 06:40:35 am »
I also find the all logistics involved very stressful.
<snip>
With other events, it's never quite clear what the arrangements are, if any,
We're slipping hugely off-topic, but I do know what you mean.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles