Author Topic: new club - Audax West Midlands  (Read 20349 times)

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Re: new club - Audax West Midlands
« Reply #25 on: 28 June, 2016, 08:16:30 pm »
Wolverhampton is 'the capital of' the old southern Staff's Hundred of Seisdon.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/Hundreds/Seisdon.

I rather liked Jethro's collective name for his perms 'Wondering Wolves'. Wondering Wolves Audax Club

Terrific!

Good name, but I suspect might not be popular with anyone from West Bromwich

And Audax Club Black Country not so popular with those of us from Birmingham. Although I'm not actually from Birmingham, I just live there. But I do support a West Midlands conurbation audax club (whatever the name) as long as we can have a jersey, must have a jersey. For the record, I'm fond of Audax Club Mercia.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #26 on: 28 June, 2016, 08:39:06 pm »
I think this sort of thing makes a lot of sense.
We have Portsmouth, Bristol and Hackney having get togethers and planning things ahead. I think it's what's needed. Then the groups can plan together for things like LEL and PBP. I think that this is already happening with Bristol, Portsmouth and Hackney.

« Reply #27 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:06:11 pm »
Steve: maybe audaxers of NBRC, A5 Rangers and Team MK should come together as a new club in the vein hope of climbing the club results table. Team MK has about 550 members, but I've given up selling the delights of audaxing to them.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:25:00 pm »
Audax Black Country fraught with definition issues IMO as Black Country is a relatively small area. Nice flag to base a jersey though:

[https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=black+country+flag&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYsP6808vNAhUFFz4KHaPSCJYQ_AUIBygB&biw=768&bih=928&dpr=2[/url]

Audax Club Mercia covers a far greater area and is associated with a central area in England.

I spoke to Jethro last year about this and suggest something like Audax Central.

« Reply #29 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:07:01 am »
As said up-thread, I don't think you need to worry about being geographically democratic with your club name.  This is rather like designing a club before it's even started.  A bit like a boy-band?  (East-17 for example).

We have members who are from (and still live in some cases) from Italy, Australia, Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Romania, Turkey and so on.  These guys joined after the club was formed but if they hadn't we'd have needed to call our club Audax Europe?  We have a lot of members from North England and the Midlands who still travel down for our social events and club rides, none of whom seem to put off by joining a long distance cycle club which started in London (or even Hackney for that matter).  The most common membership area is still London but there are only a handful of riders who actually live in Hackney.

« Reply #30 on: 29 June, 2016, 10:25:39 am »
I have already spoken to a couple of jersey manufacturers and should have some designs ready for the meeting.

a friend of mine has also suggested Audax Birmingham and Audax Wolves?

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #31 on: 29 June, 2016, 11:49:23 am »
I think there is already a "Black Country Cycling Club"/group of cyclist, not sure what official status they have etc... and of course not an AUDAX specific... I have not issue with this but others might?

What about "Angels of Mercia" certainly a good pun on long hard rides...?

Some more silly ones...

"Middle Earth Audax" (Tolkien a spent much time in our area and was fond of it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29787528) Or any other related references.
“Spitfire Audax Club” (Famous plane made in the Midlands - to appeal to plain spotters amongst us) But just a nice word
“The Colliers Audax Club” (if we really want to go back to the Black Country hint of heritage of mining, and we had mines elsewhere in WM, but not sure if other areas of the country call themselves that?)

What? Turn left that way?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 29 June, 2016, 11:51:48 am »
When I lived in the Midlands for 5 years, I'd have been happy with a variation on the theme of Mercia. The other suggestions would give the nitpickers something more to latch onto.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #33 on: 29 June, 2016, 12:09:12 pm »
"Nit-pickers' Audax Randonnée Club"

« Reply #34 on: 29 June, 2016, 12:14:33 pm »
What if you live on far flung borders, namely Herefordshire and actually just across into Wales ? Would eligibility for an Audax Club Mercia be accepted?

Can we not have our own? Cambrian Borderland Audax (also known as C(ant) B(e) A(rsed))  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 29 June, 2016, 12:22:13 pm »
"Audax Mordor"  You know it makes sense.  Eye of Sauron on the jersey...

« Reply #36 on: 29 June, 2016, 12:25:05 pm »
What if you live on far flung borders, namely Herefordshire and actually just across into Wales ? Would eligibility for an Audax Club Mercia be accepted?

Can we not have our own? Cambrian Borderland Audax (also known as C(ant) B(e) A(rsed))  :thumbsup:

Audax Marchers.

« Reply #37 on: 29 June, 2016, 12:52:16 pm »
Randonneurs Lion d'Or.

« Reply #38 on: 29 June, 2016, 01:00:13 pm »

need a referendum to sort it all out and cause yet further disarray  :demon:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #39 on: 29 June, 2016, 01:13:09 pm »
Steve: maybe audaxers of NBRC, A5 Rangers and Team MK should come together as a new club in the vein hope of climbing the club results table. Team MK has about 550 members, but I've given up selling the delights of audaxing to them.

I was thinking the same thing myself but can't commit to it properly myself. It can't hurt to put something on Facebook etc and try to meet up at a pub. Ricki Goode from Northampton might be interested. Ricki was a well known AUK in the 1990s but packed it in during the 2001 LEL. But now he's getting keen and making a comeback.

« Reply #40 on: 29 June, 2016, 02:28:00 pm »
2001? I wasn't even aware the MK CTC (Cycling UK!) existed back then, let alone Audax.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #41 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:30:23 pm »
Middle Earth Audax...love it! but I prefer the 'Angles of Mercia' suggestion. Mercia has a flag, and according to Wikipedia comes from the old English meaning 'border people'.  What's more Mercia covers a suitably large chunk of central England and could indeed be used for some angles based perms. There could even be a Mercia round event. The western flanks already has a ride, the Offa's Dyke 600.

Or continuing on the Tolkien theme, Tolkien studied old-English (Anglo-Saxon English) and used many of the Mercian kings names for the names for the people of Rohan. Indeed the people of Rohan are also known as the 'Mark' which is said to be inspired by Merica. And what's more, the Kings of Mercia happen to be from the Angles royal family, a Germanic tribe that gave it's name to East Anglia but which ruled over Mercia.

So combining all that we have 'Angles of Rohan'. Whilst slightly obscure makes for a good story behind a club name and the members could be know as the 'Mark'. And no reason why a jersey couldn't incorporate both the Merica flag and a horse as a nod to the horse people of Rohan. And all this old English/Anglo-Saxon history wrapped up in Tolkien mythology provides for many an interesting route name.

Got to love Wikipedia
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #42 on: 29 June, 2016, 06:20:03 pm »
I'd be interested in a West Mids club.

I like the idea of the Tolkien theme, we could sort out some Tolkien based rides, the three towers are South Brum as is Sarehole (?) mill which is supposed to be inspiration for the shire and the Prancing Pony is supposed to be based on a pub in the Cotswolds...

John

« Reply #43 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:15:39 pm »
Wish Lincolnshire had a club, I'd be in like a audaxer into a cake shop sale!!

« Reply #44 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:59:55 pm »
How`s about `Riders of The Shire Audax` ? and I think Mr Undulates (John Hamilton beloved of his hilly rides :)  has plenty of alliterations to Tolkien certainly on The Elenydd ?

I`ve always fondly though of The Misty Mountains as being some of the Welsh Hills around here and area around Clun being Hobbit land (maybe) for Tolkien`s books
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #45 on: 29 June, 2016, 11:06:45 pm »
Wish Lincolnshire had a club, I'd be in like a audaxer into a cake shop sale!!

There has been talk of a Lincolnshire club, went for a pint with a local organiser where it was discussed.

Maybe it's something us Lincoln Audaxers should have a look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #46 on: 29 June, 2016, 11:43:08 pm »
Middle Earth Audax

« Reply #47 on: 30 June, 2016, 12:37:00 am »
 Howay man you have to aim high  -- " The Audax Kings of mercia " . Or  low   The  Audaxing Vagabonds . (  Slogan - my other home is a bus shelter )
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #48 on: 30 June, 2016, 08:03:44 am »
Some Tolkien landmarks.

The Shire – The area around Icknield Street, north of Redditch.
Weathertop – Weatheroak Hill windmill.
Bree – Drakes Cross.
Prancing Pony – The Packhorse, Drakes Cross.
Rivendell – Sarehole Mill.
Moria Gate – Where the river Cole culverts under the GWR line at Tyseley.
Mines of Moria – Armoury Road, Small Heath.
Mirkwood – Shard End
Esgaroth – Babbs Mill Lake.
Erebor – Coleshill Church, ( which stands on the top of a single hill, can be seen from miles away, has dragon’s head gargoyles and the churchyard has a small gate to the neighbouring pasture field )

Now get Tolkien’s map of Middle Earth and scale it so Moria Gate is where I say and Erebor is where I say, and you’ll find Barad Dur, The Dark Tower, Eye of Sauron lies at St Mary’s, Temple Balsall, church of the Knights Templar.

« Reply #49 on: 30 June, 2016, 01:29:33 pm »

Now get Tolkien’s map of Middle Earth and scale it so Moria Gate is where I say and Erebor is where I say, and you’ll find Barad Dur, The Dark Tower, Eye of Sauron lies at St Mary’s, Temple Balsall, church of the Knights Templar.

I've poked around that place a few times (as I always do anywhere with Temple in the name...never know where you might come across the Grail!), but didn't know that connection, very interesting.