Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463812 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #75 on: 03 December, 2014, 06:58:50 pm »
Nurse said toe is looking good. Nice new dressing applied, appointment booked for friday & monday  at  9am for dressing change. Fingers crossed I;ll be able to get the half hour off work for this though...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #76 on: 06 December, 2014, 05:33:22 am »
Toe healing well!  Got dressings to dress toe at home!

:thumbsup: for antibiotics & iodine dressings!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #77 on: 07 December, 2014, 07:51:31 am »
Sacroiliac popped again after a couple of awkward moments last weekend, then Inlaw Paw (97) fell over in bedroom during week and had to be hauled up again.  Add to that my buggered ankle cartilage sending fall-over-you-bastard stabs up my leg when I step unwarily and you have one bloody unhappy camper.

I could get out for a ride but the prospect of buggering up my back even more is not attractive. Bah.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #78 on: 10 December, 2014, 11:27:13 am »
Having switched to a 6.5 mile cycle commute I am now feeling my calves tightening, particularly in the back of my left knee / top of calf area. Put simply I don't warm up or cool down as the route, bike (fixie) and my inclination to hurry (difficulty getting out of bed)  :-[ results in working hard almost door to door.

Can anyone recommend appropriate calf, hamstring and hip flexor stretches or other measures I should be doing and should these be done before/after/both the ride. Ideally I would like something that can be kept to a couple of minutes.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #80 on: 10 December, 2014, 04:29:59 pm »
I've got plantar fasciitis  :(

This definitely fits in the 'Annoying Medical Issue' section of the Venn diagram.

« Reply #81 on: 10 December, 2014, 04:51:20 pm »
I've got plantar fasciitis  :(

This definitely fits in the 'Annoying Medical Issue' section of the Venn diagram.

Commiserations. My better half suffers from this, so consequently I suffer too (it's damn near impossible to be able to adopt the correct level of sympathy - I'm invariably in trouble for either ignoring her pain or being too damned conciliatory).

She's had steroid injections and uses insoles in her shoes. Shape of footwear appears to be important. It seems to help if there's a small heel to the shoe. I suggest that you carefully test your footwear before going out for that special function. I ended up sitting in the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford trying to discreetly trim an incorrectly fitting pair of insoles with a penknife during my daughter's graduation ceremony.

« Reply #82 on: 11 December, 2014, 08:24:04 am »
I'm going to be sent for an MRI to look inside my head (date tbd). Is it wrong that I'm fascinated?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #83 on: 11 December, 2014, 08:31:57 am »
Take a CDR and ask if they'll give you the data. You will know someone who can help decode it :D

« Reply #84 on: 16 December, 2014, 08:01:32 am »
I lost my fitbit in Barcelona.
I feel naked without it.

And more importantly, Mr Smith is now beating me on steps. Grrr!

« Reply #85 on: 16 December, 2014, 09:17:08 am »
I lost my fitbit in Barcelona.
I feel naked without it.
Is that a song lyric by an ironic 21st century version of Pulp?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #86 on: 18 December, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30494009

Isn't this article just stating the obvious?

« Reply #87 on: 18 December, 2014, 05:53:04 pm »

Looks like it!
...with added entertainment, though:

"Chemical bonds are broken, a process which releases heat"

Chris S

« Reply #88 on: 18 December, 2014, 06:46:27 pm »

I know! It's very silly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #89 on: 19 December, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »
<grumble>

It is a measure of general scientific illiteracy that anyone gives such an article any credence.

« Reply #90 on: 19 December, 2014, 12:27:37 pm »
Weeellll . . . . it's sort of right. Food (including fat) in, broken down, carbon from it out as CO2 via lungs. But "Fat breathed out" clearly shows that the author (or subeditors) doesn't understand the process, & there's obvious confusion about what's meant by 'burned off'.

News! When you burn petrol in a car, some of it isn't burned off, but escapes via the exhaust as carbon dioxide!  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #91 on: 19 December, 2014, 01:33:21 pm »
Well, at least stating the obvious probably isn't harming anyone, unlike Andrew Wakefield's paper in the Lancet linking autism with vaccines. That's killed and continues to kill, despite the fact that  the "evidence" was subsequently shown to be fabricated.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #92 on: 20 December, 2014, 11:56:16 pm »
Ok this is annoying me, symptoms:

One day may be two of having a very runny nose, occasional shivering with sweating at the same time  this has been on and off for a weak.  Today the shivering and sweating all day along with nausea.  paracetomol and brufen have not altered the fever for over 8 hours..actually final does that stayed in did help.

Other times I am fine, is this normal or am I an alien.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #93 on: 22 December, 2014, 09:01:58 am »
Reserve judgement on exobiological status.

Otherwise, sounds like a virus with a longish reproductive cycle. When it's in your cells you feel OK, when the cells rupture & more viruses + toxins are released you feel like crap. 

Or malaria, of course.

See doc.

---o0o---

Realized yest that numbness in left hand was due to obeying the law and fitting a bell in only space left on bars.  This obliged me to angle my hand slightly and threw pressure that should have been evenly distributed onto outside of palm. Slightly compressed nerve over time ==> damage.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #94 on: 26 December, 2014, 09:24:01 am »
According to the NHS there's no evidence that drinking lots of water is an effective treatment.
But they recommend it anyway?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #95 on: 26 December, 2014, 10:12:08 am »
According to the NHS there's no evidence that drinking lots of water is an effective treatment.

The fact that drinking loads of water really helps flush out your bladder and makes you feel better doesn't count as 'evidence'. 

'Evidence' means enormous cohort studies and double blinding and boring statistical analysis programmes.  Nobody's funding trials into tap water. 

This grumpy post was brought to you by Boxing Day Headache Lurgies inc.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #96 on: 26 December, 2014, 10:57:19 am »
That page contains a link to advice on how to clean your penis properly.

Good.

It should be compulsory reading for men and those who care about them.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/penis-health/Pages/how-to-wash-a-penis.aspx
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #97 on: 26 December, 2014, 01:47:42 pm »

The fact that drinking loads of water really helps flush out your bladder and makes you feel better doesn't count as 'evidence'. 

'Evidence' means enormous cohort studies and double blinding and boring statistical analysis programmes.  Nobody's funding trials into tap water. 

This grumpy post was brought to you by Boxing Day Headache Lurgies inc.

As one who seldom CBA to read or acquire much evidence, and also one who suffered multiple UTIs in the past, I adopted my own strategy (mostly before Evidence Based Medicine became trendy).

Assuming there are times and places where frequent loo trips are a right PITA but others where it's OK, this is what I did.

Find comfortable place close to loo and drinking water source.
Get pint glass and fill it with water or diet squash choose something palatable.
Drink it all.
Refill glass after your next loo visit
Repeat until you have had 4-6 pints in 3-4 hours.

Then drink generously but 'normally'.

My reasoning:
E.Coli bugs (a common cause of UTIs)  can double in number every 20 minutes.
You can wash their numbers down by intense dilution to a level your body can tackle them.

Assume one million bugs per millilitre, a bladder capacity of 300ml and a residual bladder volume of 30ml.

Do the 'math', try to empty your bladder fully and get better soon!

Just pushing fluids blandly may not work because it is too non-specific.
Drinking lots if not peeing can be dangerous.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #98 on: 26 December, 2014, 02:01:36 pm »
My mum a nurse who trained in the late 60s and early 70s was a fan of the strong coffee (diuretic) + 1pt water every 30 min routine to stave off pending UTIs or manage them if you couldn't get to a doctor.  No idea if that actually works other than anecdata.  Certainly in hospital urology wards they like you to drink all the fluids. 

I had a nasty kidney infection (only time my mum's ever called out of hours GP for us kids) and then a few nasty UTIs shortly after in my late teens.  GP was at the "get another UTI and I'm sending you to the hospital" stage when they stopped happening.  I am much more inclined to notice early symptoms and throw fluids at it since then and it could just be luck too. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #99 on: 26 December, 2014, 05:00:31 pm »
That page contains a link to advice on how to clean your penis properly.

Good.

It should be compulsory reading for men and those who care about them.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/penis-health/Pages/how-to-wash-a-penis.aspx

There's a vagina one too, so that's most popular options covered.  No you don't need Products, but sweat and stale piss is just as unattractive whatever your genital configuration...