Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 475144 times)

simonp

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1950 on: 18 December, 2017, 11:48:59 am »
What's Total Suspended Solids got to do with training. Health I can understand as you end up with poorly treated water (be it potable or effluent).  ;)

Training Stress Score.

Basically a metric equating the potential fitness gained from a particular workout. It's relative to your current fitness (i.e. if a stronger rider produces the same power output over a workout, TSS is lower) and is supposed to be invariant over workout type, so a higher intensity workout with lower duration can give the same TSS as a longer one with lower intensity.

simonp

« Reply #1951 on: 20 December, 2017, 12:28:35 pm »
So my wrist pain has mostly been caused by a glanglion cyst on the back of the wrist and not by the original injury, which seems to have healed well - there was a slight increase in brightness over the ecu tendon at the subsheath but nothing of concern, and I have the all clear to return to normal activity.

Cyst may go away on its own or might require treatment, but it's just about the best possible outcome.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1952 on: 20 December, 2017, 01:46:37 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I just got the medical certificate I need to get my comprehensive FFCT insurance for another year. "Including competitions", it reads. Wow. They must mean "Dirtiest Bike", "Flattest tyre" and the like.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1953 on: 21 December, 2017, 11:23:16 am »
Oh dear oh dear

My brother poured scorn and hideous criticism on my half-aspirin habit a few years back "They'll kill you" etc etc

He's just been told he has the coronary arteries of a 69-yr-old (he is 54 this year and used to pride himself on his low heart rate and fitness). In telling me this he sent me a link to an extensive article that, amongst other things, extolled the virtues of taking aspirin regularly (if there is a familial history of cardio issues).

I think there is a German word for this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1954 on: 23 December, 2017, 09:46:00 am »
If he has the coronary arteries of yrs. trly. (age 70¾) he's lacking 50% of normal capacity. Give him my sympathy and a box of Gaviscon (aspirin does that to me).

Anyway, I'm here to sing the praises of a hard mattress. My dodgy sacroiliac has been singing rude songs for the last couple of weeks, and I finally prevailed on madame to sideline the nice new mattress she ordered me (we have side-by-side 90-cm mattresses in a double-bed frame) four years back and allow me to revert to the "horrible" 20-year-old mattress that I loved. Three nights on that and I not only slept like a top but the sacroiliac has shut its yap and I did 84k yesterday without a twinge.

« Reply #1955 on: 25 December, 2017, 02:43:53 pm »
I’ve got “golfers elbow”. In both elbows. I have never played golf.  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1956 on: 25 December, 2017, 03:10:08 pm »
Ouch! Partner has/had this too and isn't a golfer.
Suspect lugging my wheelchair provoked this.

GP sent him for physio, which helped but he's forgotten the exercises.

« Reply #1957 on: 25 December, 2017, 08:13:26 pm »
I’m squeezing tennis balls to strengthen the muscles. Plus ibuprofen.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1958 on: 26 December, 2017, 08:29:41 am »
I’ve got “golfers elbow”. In both elbows. I have never played golf.  :-\

Gin-slinger's elbow?

« Reply #1959 on: 03 January, 2018, 05:18:45 pm »
Aussie flu: not pleasant.  Felt like I'd been hit by a train over Christmas, and my lung function status is halfway been 'emphysema' and 'pleurisy'.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1960 on: 04 January, 2018, 12:30:34 pm »
At the beginning of November, I fell over in my bedroom (sober, I just tripped over my feet I think) and landed really hard with my shin on my jewellery box, which is a sturdy hard metal box. You know how much shin injuries hurt. I tried RICE over that weekend, kept my leg up as much as possible over the next few weeks, tried NSAIDS and voltarol gel (left over from whatever I did to myself last). Eventually the bruising disappeared but my shin still has a massive swollen patch, and I can't put any weight on it at all. Knocking it, kneeling on a soft mattress or cushion, even using it to close a kitchen drawer, all sore enough to make me shriek, wince, lose my breath and cry a bit.

I rang the NHS msk physio line yesterday and they said "see your GP" so I saw my GP and she said "get an x-ray" so this afternoon I'm going to get an x-ray.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1961 on: 04 January, 2018, 03:12:29 pm »
Ouch, hopefully nothing serious EG.

^^ reminds me I need to see my GP, I think I have some form of tendonitis in both of my elbows.  No pain on movement generally, but tender to the touch without any bruising. Been that way for a few weeks, but I can't think what might have caused it, other than general vibration/road bumps on the bike
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1962 on: 04 January, 2018, 06:42:42 pm »
^^ reminds me I need to see my GP, I think I have some form of tendonitis in both of my elbows.  No pain on movement generally, but tender to the touch without any bruising. Been that way for a few weeks, but I can't think what might have caused it, other than general vibration/road bumps on the bike

Outside or inside, Tennis or Golfers? There's plenty of 'cures' on Youtube to look at. Been there done that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1963 on: 04 January, 2018, 09:38:52 pm »
At the beginning of November, I fell over in my bedroom (sober, I just tripped over my feet I think) and landed really hard with my shin on my jewellery box, which is a sturdy hard metal box. You know how much shin injuries hurt. I tried RICE over that weekend, kept my leg up as much as possible over the next few weeks, tried NSAIDS and voltarol gel (left over from whatever I did to myself last). Eventually the bruising disappeared but my shin still has a massive swollen patch, and I can't put any weight on it at all. Knocking it, kneeling on a soft mattress or cushion, even using it to close a kitchen drawer, all sore enough to make me shriek, wince, lose my breath and cry a bit.

I rang the NHS msk physio line yesterday and they said "see your GP" so I saw my GP and she said "get an x-ray" so this afternoon I'm going to get an x-ray.

She's been waiting a long time for that x-ray.....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1964 on: 05 January, 2018, 11:17:38 am »

Outside or inside, Tennis or Golfers? There's plenty of 'cures' on Youtube to look at. Been there done that.

Yep same here. Tennis elbow in my left arm a couple of years ago exacerbated by using a rowing machine. Currently have golfers elbow both sides, NAIDS plus tenni s ball squeezing is easing it.

ElyDave

« Reply #1965 on: 05 January, 2018, 04:26:50 pm »
Underneath/at the back, where it typically rests on a desk/table.  I'm not sure of the structure of an elbow, never had any issues there before.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1966 on: 06 January, 2018, 01:51:40 pm »
Underneath/at the back, where it typically rests on a desk/table.  I'm not sure of the structure of an elbow, never had any issues there before.

Students' elbow aka olecranon bursitis...

ElyDave

« Reply #1967 on: 06 January, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »
That's what I was thinking as a possibility, looking at elbow structure yesterday.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1968 on: 07 January, 2018, 01:18:04 am »
Stolen from Facebook
Bristol Stool Chart
(click to show/hide)

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1969 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:02:29 am »
Thank you for that!

Gives the lie to the notion that 'You can never have too much chocolate'.

I could ask you to explain what it means . . . but I fear that would be too much information before breakfast!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1970 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:22:51 am »
Falling between stools must be a rather messy business.

« Reply #1971 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:28:28 am »
Would leave you dans le chocolat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1972 on: 07 January, 2018, 01:15:55 pm »
Thank you for that!

Gives the lie to the notion that 'You can never have too much chocolate'.

I could ask you to explain what it means . . . but I fear that would be too much information before breakfast!

Google might be your friend. Suggest you use the words in my previous post...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1973 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:04:17 pm »
What on earth do you have to eat to produce Cadbury's Flake?  :o

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1974 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:07:43 pm »
Vegetarian lasagne?