Author Topic: things i don't understand  (Read 24307 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: things i don't understand
« Reply #50 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:40:21 pm »
One of my neighbours like to park her car underneath our windows and sit in the car making phone calls with the sound routed through the car speakers. Her conversation are never interesting.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #51 on: 26 April, 2019, 08:16:05 pm »
But even as a veteran of ukc.misc, I can't explain the phenomenon of Craig David.

Best filed under "Things Man Was Not Meant to Know".
Re- re-wind
The crowd say Bo selecta

WTF?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #52 on: 26 April, 2019, 08:22:50 pm »
But even as a veteran of ukc.misc, I can't explain the phenomenon of Craig David.

Best filed under "Things Man Was Not Meant to Know".
Re- re-wind
The crowd say Bo selecta

WTF?

Exactly, though ITYM "It's proper bo', I tell thee!"
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 26 April, 2019, 09:19:58 pm »
One of my neighbours like to park her car underneath our windows and sit in the car making phone calls with the sound routed through the car speakers. Her conversation are never interesting.

Suspect she's like those using the cubicles in the Ladies' facilities in hostelries for agonised calls of a personal nature. Partitions are NOT soundproof...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #54 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:05:35 pm »
Why do people who play loud music with the car windows rolled down ALWAYS listen to shit music?  It's either rank drum amd bass, some gangsta rapper shouting about how he's gonna pop a cap in yo' monkey ass or appalling dance/soul drivel in the Craig David mould.

depends how you define shit music.  Mayber there are those in Ely who object to Led Zep, Chris Rea, or Paul Simon at Land Rover volume with the windows down
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuzzy

« Reply #55 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:33:46 pm »
I will admit to occasionally having the volume in the car pumped up to the max.

This is to drown out the voices though.

You know- the ones telling me to kill the inconsiderate bastards driving like twats.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #56 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:34:15 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:37:17 pm »
Very low frequencies at high volumes have been investigated by military for battlefield weapon potential.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

essexian

« Reply #58 on: 27 April, 2019, 12:57:58 pm »
Things I don't understand include how and indeed why anyone would ever pay full price in Sports Direct.

I've just been in their to look at some new walking shoes only to note that almost everything is half price! Brilliant....  :thumbsup:

Actually, what I don't understand is how they get away with it! Surely that type of marketting is against the law?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #59 on: 27 April, 2019, 03:42:23 pm »
There’ll be a branch of Sports Direct somewhere in the country where you should never, ever buy anything, on account of the stock costing double what it is everywhere else.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 27 April, 2019, 03:53:42 pm »
There’ll be a branch of Sports Direct somewhere in the country where you should never, ever buy anything, on account of the stock costing double what it is everywhere else.
Do you think it's in a corner of their warehouse (in some desolate corner of Slough, I'd guess).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #61 on: 27 April, 2019, 05:31:20 pm »
Presumably 50% of the RRP if it’s not like the never ending DFS “sale”.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #62 on: 27 April, 2019, 06:04:36 pm »
I don't understand why I have 5 Smart Superflash rear lights (which I think are brilliant) but all of the rear light mounts on all of my bikes are Cateye. I have a few Cateye rear lights, but where have all the Smart mounts gone???
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #63 on: 28 April, 2019, 07:49:45 am »
I don't understand why anyone invented Belgium. And, before you say beer and chocolate I'd like to point out that they were invented elsewhere but brought to a reasonable point of perfection out of boredom.

« Reply #64 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:11:35 am »
Before we leave energy drinks completely, I don't understand where they get the budget to sponsor so many high-profile, 'extreme sports' events, and two Formula one teams...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

FatBloke

« Reply #65 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:51:28 am »
I don't understand why anyone invented Belgium. And, before you say beer and chocolate I'd like to point out that they were invented elsewhere but brought to a reasonable point of perfection out of boredom.
I blame the Dutch!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

FatBloke

« Reply #66 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:54:59 am »
Before we leave energy drinks completely, I don't understand where they get the budget to sponsor so many high-profile, 'extreme sports' events, and two Formula one teams...
Probably something to do with charging £1.40 for 250ml of strong flavoured sugar solution which probably has a production cost of less than 1p per litre. Most likely the contents cost less than the packaging.

essexian

« Reply #67 on: 28 April, 2019, 09:16:52 am »
Other things I don't understand is....and sorry, this may sound elitist but its not meant to.... why people go on TV quiz shows when half the time they struggle to answer a question about their own name  :facepalm:

Tipping Point is the worst for this....okay, why am I watching Tipping Point in the first place... where the questions are so easy that my 5 year old could answer them....and I don't have a five year old.

Is it for the fame of being on telly or for some other reason I don't understand?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #68 on: 28 April, 2019, 09:45:25 am »
It is good TV. Far better than if they know it all.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #69 on: 28 April, 2019, 12:13:25 pm »
I believe it's harder to think under the stress of the cameras etc.

But yes, I don't get TV quiz shows, I don't have a TV licence so I don't watch them except if on at other people's houses and I think they're weird. Friends of mine went on Pointless and seemed to like the attention and the whole experience - weirdos.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 28 April, 2019, 02:05:09 pm »

Some are niche brands created by Big Soft Drinks.

Mountain Dew is part of PepsiCo. I'm not sure how 'independent' the others are.

Ben T

« Reply #71 on: 28 April, 2019, 03:48:18 pm »
Magnetism. I don't get that either. In theory, when explained to me, I do. But then my mind turns all glassy and the explanation slides off.

I have a magnetically levitated globe in my office and every time I look at it, it makes me shiver.

« Reply #72 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:29:19 am »
Just thought of something else I don't understand...

...well, I sort of do, but...

Why do they make round pizzas, sell them in square boxes, yet we eat them in triangles  ???

:facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #73 on: 12 May, 2019, 10:03:02 am »
Pizzas obey Piethagorean geometry.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #74 on: 12 May, 2019, 10:29:17 am »
Why do they make round pizzas, sell them in square boxes, yet we eat them in triangles  ???

:facepalm:

A ball of dough when rolled out tends to go in a roughly circular shape.

Square boxes are vastly easier to make and fold than a round box.

When dividing a disc, say into 4 equal pieces, you get 4 "triangles" etc.