Author Topic: Would you let your children watch the Sweeney and the Professionals?  (Read 4008 times)

If the answer is yes, at what age?
Stropping rocks

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Would you let your children watch the Sweeney and the Professionals?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2009, 01:43:05 am »
At the same time? 26, probably.
It is simpler than it looks.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2009, 08:55:05 am »
I can remember watching these when I was a kid aged about 10.  I would probably let me own kids watch these at a roughly similar age.  My eldest daughter (14) is pretty mature for her age.

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:38:16 am »
Yeah, why not? They wear strange clothes as well.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:53:20 am »
I'll assume this is a straight question with no hidden agenda, in which case my answer would be yes. I saw them as a kid (aged about 10) and thought they were great.

However, I have begun to wonder whether, after hearing Regan refer to a van load of 'coons' and Bodie (or was it Doyle) mention a gun-toting 'Abdul', whether I ought to enrol in the next BBC diversity appreciation course to ensure I am suitably non-prejudicial.       

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2009, 11:04:57 am »
I doubt a modern kid would want to watch either of them. They're very dated. They'd rather watch 24 or some such. Car chases between capris and Granadas don't hold much appeal.

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2009, 11:13:55 am »
The Sweeney DVD (at least) is rated 18...  The Definitive Sweeney - Complete TV series 1-4: DVD

So this gives a clue that there are some adult themes involved.  Don't get too nostalgic about it all - IMO there's plenty more suitable programs for kids to watch.

(edit)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2009, 03:32:06 pm »
I'll assume this is a straight question with no hidden agenda, in which case my answer would be yes. I saw them as a kid (aged about 10) and thought they were great.

However, I have begun to wonder whether, after hearing Regan refer to a van load of 'coons' and Bodie (or was it Doyle) mention a gun-toting 'Abdul', whether I ought to enrol in the next BBC diversity appreciation course to ensure I am suitably non-prejudicial.       

I think that therein lies the responsibility as a parent......

They will come across these words and will need to realise that whilst they were "acceptable" in their day things have changed and they are not now. It is a uselful concept to learn.

It is perhaps a good thing to raise this in a controlled way through programmes like this rather than have the same discussion after they have used the expression when they learnt it at school.

Sometimes using a tool and provoking a discussion can be a good thing

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2009, 04:21:16 pm »
Yes.  There are clearly defined goodies and baddies, and no excessive gore.  Not much worse than a western.

Anyway, I only watch them for the 70s and 80s cars.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2009, 11:18:00 pm »
Yes for the Professionals; although some historic background information by you may be required!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2009, 11:26:35 pm »
These have been re-shown on one of the freeview channels, and I watched some over Christmas whilst staying with my parents. My father asked if I remembered watching them (I was small at the time) and was highly amused when I replied "you're nicked!" - particularly as my mother's reaction was a stern look accompanied by a recitation on how they'd been on long past my bedtime and weren't really suitable for the under-10s...  ::-)
Abnormal for Norfolk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 10 February, 2009, 11:30:49 pm »
I don't think I've ever watched either of them. I've no idea whether my kids have - probably not.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 11 February, 2009, 08:52:19 pm »
Have you had any contact with popular culture over the last 30 years WoW ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

gonzo

« Reply #13 on: 11 February, 2009, 09:00:23 pm »
I've watched the professionals at 11:00 in the morning* on freeview, so it can't be that highly age restricted!

*whilst eating breakfast** and waiting for the daily politics

**student days!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 11 February, 2009, 10:31:19 pm »
As a small(er) Mr Larrington I watched both when they were still New and Exciting1 and have never yet felt the urge to tuough up J Random ["Oik" - The Invigilator] in the street.  Anecdotal evidence is, I know, no evidence at all, but without immortal dialogue such as "Get yer trousers on, you're nicked!" and "We're The Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner, so unless you want a kicking you'd better tell us where those photographs are" the world would be a Poorer Place.

I must confess to owning the entirety of "The Sweeney" on DVD, and it gets watched regularly, alongside other quality offerings such as "Minder2", "CSI3"  and "The X-Files".

Anyway, if I had any children, they'd probably regard them in the same way I do viz. a comedy.  Did anyone really wear ties and shoes like that, even in The Decade That Style Forgot?

1 - actually, on any critical level except Haircut Analysis, The Professionals was Total Bobbins.
2 - only those featuring Dennis Waterman, obv.  B-i-L has sold out and bought the Gary Webster ones as well, the ["Oddball" - The Invigilator]
3 - Las Vegas only (until Five US fails to fill my need for copious doses of Eve La ["enough" - The Invigilator])
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15 on: 11 February, 2009, 10:37:46 pm »
...some historic background information by you may be required!

"See that tall balding Scottish bloke?  He was in the Great Escape, and was Hudson in Upstairs, Downstairs"

That kind of thing?  ;)

« Reply #16 on: 11 February, 2009, 10:47:17 pm »
I did very little in the way of censorship, but quite a lot in the way of discussion.

LEE

« Reply #17 on: 11 February, 2009, 11:40:37 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIIAP_-Siz4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/QIIAP_-Siz4&rel=1</a>

But really it's impossible to parody the Professionals as it was far more ridiculous.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #18 on: 12 February, 2009, 02:51:45 pm »
My kids dont let me watch Skins   ::-) ::-)

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 12 February, 2009, 07:27:47 pm »
I must confess to owning the entirety of "The Sweeney" on DVD, and it gets watched regularly, alongside other quality offerings such as "Minder2", "CSI3"  and "The X-Files".
I'm an X-Phile too, with the whole DVD collection.

On "last night's" episode Scully was walking around in a tight vest with a big machete.  Gosh.

« Reply #20 on: 12 February, 2009, 07:41:50 pm »
I was never able to view The Professionals as a child. My parents wouldn't allow it. All my mates watched it which was awkward come playground time.

I do question some of my parents decisions when I was a child.

An ex girlfriend once questioned why all my favourite films invariably contained gratuitous violence, nudity and swearing and all I could come up with was "If your parents had been cosy, middle class Guardian readers who sent you to the roughest school in town because they believed it to be the right on thing to do and expected you not to be bullied for having cosy, middle class Guardian reading parents, then you'd be the same."

Let 'em watch it I'd say....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 13 February, 2009, 09:47:08 am »
I'm an X-Phile too, with the whole DVD collection.

+1.  I even bought "The Lone Gunmen" on DVD.  Though after buying the second film, I regretted not spening the money on Strong Drink instead.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #22 on: 14 February, 2009, 12:01:43 am »

Though after buying the second film, I regretted not spening the money on Strong Drink instead.

You got off light. I think that I can honestly say that I regret every second that I wasted on all of it.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rogerzilla

« Reply #23 on: 14 February, 2009, 07:38:55 am »
I thought it was pretty good - just a 90-minute episode.  And Mulder still throws sharpened pencils at the ceiling  :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #24 on: 14 February, 2009, 05:35:06 pm »
I was never able to view The Professionals as a child. My parents wouldn't allow it. All my mates watched it which was awkward come playground time.

I do question some of my parents decisions when I was a child.
I've lost count of the programmes my parents decreed were "not suitable for children." I missed out on loads of stuff. They never seemed too bothered about films though - I was seeing films at the cinema years before the certificates said I could.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.