Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 4669 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #50 on: 05 December, 2010, 01:21:09 pm »
I see.  So it was a bribe.
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 05 December, 2010, 01:25:06 pm »
I see.  So it was a bribe.

I was wondering that too...  A 'sweetener'?  ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 05 December, 2010, 01:32:28 pm »
I'd think that there are loads of hospitality agreements going on for the Olympics and this would just have been one of them.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #53 on: 05 December, 2010, 02:23:12 pm »
Quote from: http://1800-worldcup.com/world_cup_finals/germany2006/world_cup_bid.htm
The Germans were disappointed that England were bidding to host the 2006 World Cup finals, as they believed there was a gentleman's agreement; if Germany supported England for Euro 96, England would return the favour for WC 2006.

And it came back to haunt them in the bid for 2018. The other members of the executive committee were unhappy with England's choice to bid for 2006 and rewarded them with empty promises for 2018.

Now, can the media just shut the fuck up about it all. We lost. Have the good grace to go quietly. There's no need to have an inquiry about FIFA voting since no-one really expects it to be anything but the vote trading and prior agreements that it is.

Pulling hospitality arrangements for the 2012 Olympics is acting like a spoilt 5 year old and won't do us any favours in the long run.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #54 on: 05 December, 2010, 03:48:14 pm »
Quote from: http://1800-worldcup.com/world_cup_finals/germany2006/world_cup_bid.htm
The Germans were disappointed that England were bidding to host the 2006 World Cup finals, as they believed there was a gentleman's agreement; if Germany supported England for Euro 96, England would return the favour for WC 2006.

And it came back to haunt them in the bid for 2018. The other members of the executive committee were unhappy with England's choice to bid for 2006 and rewarded them with empty promises for 2018.

Now, can the media just shut the fuck up about it all. We lost. Have the good grace to go quietly. There's no need to have an inquiry about FIFA voting since no-one really expects it to be anything but the vote trading and prior agreements that it is.

Pulling hospitality arrangements for the 2012 Olympics is acting like a spoilt 5 year old and won't do us any favours in the long run.

By the time England bids again, I would expect most of the current FIFA executive will have retired anyway.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #55 on: 05 December, 2010, 05:59:24 pm »
I read a comment in today's media that England's failure to bribe enough voters win the vote will send the Football Association into meltdown.
Why?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:01:02 pm »
The reason the bid "team" are giving for being a bit miffed, is that they had prior agreements for 6 votes, 5 of whom welched on them.

( The guy that kept his word was one of those besmirched by the Panorama prog  :thumbsup: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

« Reply #57 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:11:26 pm »
I see.  So it was a bribe.

I was wondering that too...  A 'sweetener'?  ;)

Precisely the sort of thing that contravene's my company's code of conduct.

« Reply #58 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:36:10 pm »
The reason the bid "team" are giving for being a bit miffed, is that they had prior agreements for 6 votes, 5 of whom welched on them.

If they're genuinely miffed then they're exceptionally naive.

I believe they just decided (quite rightly) not to stoop to bribery and backhanders, and paid the price for being honest (and showing how disloyal they are going against Germany for 2006).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #59 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:01:16 pm »
The Wail describes the Dorchester hotel thing as 'part of the charm offensive designed to woo FIFA'...

humm

« Reply #60 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:02:37 pm »
Sepp Blater was asked today who his all time favourite Qatar player was.

He replied " its a toss up between Eric Clapton & Jimi Hendrix"