Author Topic: Working Girls on BBC3  (Read 1138 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Working Girls on BBC3
« on: 04 March, 2011, 04:33:51 pm »
I'm just watching this now - recorded it last night. Teenage girl (maybe early 20s) has never had a job, happy to live on benefit, sponges off her mum and her boyfriends, thinks she's the most beautiful woman in the world, can't see why she should have to work to pay for her designer clothes and fake tan and manicures, her boyfriends should pay for her beauty routine. Drives her boyfriends away by being clingy - texts and phones them at all hours of the day because she has nothing else to do but they're at work earning money for her hair extensions. Describes herself as full time carer for two chihuahuas.  :sick:

So they got her a job working in Liverpool's heritage market. By lunchtime on the first day she'd had a shouting match with the owner (who was a single mother at 17 and worked her way up to owning her own successful business) and walked out - the owner refused to have her back. So now she's done a housemaid shift at Missoni hotel in Edinburgh. Essentially they've bribed her with the promise of a flash Missoni event at the end of the week if she manages the full week successfully. She seemed to have done quite well on her first day but it turns out she's lied and told them she's changed the bed linen but not done it.

She's a lazy spoilt brat. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: Working Girls on BBC3
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2011, 08:52:16 pm »
I know it's "Judgemental", but as soon as I saw the name Kaycie - the stereotype sprung to mind, and was proven correct!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2011, 08:55:30 pm »
The Missoni person in charge of the chambermaid staff was not at all impressed to find that she had to take half a dozen rooms out of service, which included having to move a couple of customers, because the beds hadn't been changed.

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2011, 09:31:39 am »
The Missoni person in charge of the chambermaid staff was not at all impressed to find that she had to take half a dozen rooms out of service, which included having to move a couple of customers, because the beds hadn't been changed.

Although its an awfull thought I can understand that to a point. Doing a job like that almost seems impossible the first few times untill you find a routine. And if you are used to swanning around having a chat and coffee whenever you want then its not happening.
I did feel sorry for her when she was ill though.

« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »
Sounds like an extreme version of a woman I used to work with. (I haven't seen the programme)
She was employed, as I was, a shift worker. She was crap at the job, couldn't handle rotating shifts, but instead of getting the boot, she got promoted. (We all presumed she was sucking the boss's dick or something)
She was a lazy bitch and never did any work, but always came out on top. Apart from the theory that she was performing sexual favours for our boss, there were rumours that she was a relative of the boss, but I never knew the facts for sure.
Some people just have the silver spoon in their mouth and can do no wrong. More fool those that pander to them, I say. They get no joy from me, nor sympathy when things don't go their way, which my former colleague soon cottoned on to, much to her displeasure. Still, if people are willing to fund her, then that's really their business and not mine.
Should I care?
I really don't.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2011, 05:59:27 pm »
I'm really enjoying this series. It's not as straightforward as "lazy bitches, don't want to work" - these girls have never been motivated to work, don't have the self-confidence to believe they're worth employing, and more often than not have parents who will give them money when they ask but resent doing so and don't know how they've ended up like this. Interestingly, what seems to motivate several of them is the bit where the researcher shows them their family tree and what jobs their female ancestors did, including how skilled they were, how difficult the jobs were and what would have happened to them if they didn't work.