Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3897969 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22200 on: 20 November, 2018, 03:40:38 pm »
(Yesterday): rode across town to drop off lunch for the OH at her work, then took the laney route out of town and up to Barr Beacon to eat my soup and sandwich in the memorial on top. Rather windy and cold, but the rain had stopped and I fancied stretching my legs a bit more so I headed up and across Sutton Park for tea and a bun in Sutton Coldfield before heading home for a hot shower. 22 miles or so, but a fair bit of up and down.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #22201 on: 22 November, 2018, 10:41:20 pm »
Well, yesterday ... Out on a club run on a two lane road through a forest a whole bunch of us were stopped by the police: "You might want to get your bikes off the road (indicating a gateway in the forest next to a parked police car)."

"Why's that", we asked. "There'll be a high speed chase coming through in a few minutes." So keeping out of the way seemed like a Very Good Idea. An unmarked car was parked, filling one lane, and a stinger was laid across the remaining lane with a police officer squatting out of sight behind the parked car. Shortly a grey Astra came flying down the road pursued by two police BMWs on full sirens and blue lights. The officer operating the stinger was very swift in dragging it back in before the police vehicles arrived.

OK it was a training exercise, and the "stinger" was a length of chain wrapped in a sleeve, but it was still very exciting to watch, and the police teamwork was impressive to observe at first hand.
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22202 on: 24 November, 2018, 07:12:47 pm »
Mrs F and I did an 87k pootle up to a local farm shop place that was doing a Crimbo Fayre.

They have an Events Venue, and it was full of stalls from all the local producers of stuffs, pop-up hot food stalls, and even a group of singists doing seasonal singing.
There were also FIRE pits to provide some much welcome warmth to all those who had cycled there.
That would be exactly the two of us.

I had taken a HBFO rucksack and filled it with assorted pig-based noms to take home.
I did consider taking a large baguette home too, sticking out from the top of my rucksack.
We could have done a comical photo of me on the aero-bars with a rucksack and a baguette.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1982326795

« Reply #22203 on: 24 November, 2018, 09:11:51 pm »
After considerable faffing about I got out for about 45 minutes before the sun set. I had a headtorch, but not enough light to be going far or fast. It was a dismal day, so there wasn’t much desire for a long rid anyway.
It was also the first ride beyond the station on my old mtb with drop bars. Needs a Brooks and I’d have been warmer with a hat. :facepalm:

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #22204 on: 25 November, 2018, 12:48:08 pm »
Out with my new found club again for a quick 50km in the drizzle. Quite enjoying being out with other people, not sure I really deserved the cake though!

« Reply #22205 on: 25 November, 2018, 04:35:41 pm »
13 of us on informal ride to Bedford to visit a rather remarkable Italian Cafe. Highly recommended. Authentic Italian Deli, Bistro and Cafe. Coffee £1, Full English or Pasta bake, Pizza baked on premises. Chocolate cake to die for £2.

33 Miles in beautiful but chilly weather due to easterly wind.

https://www.yell.com/biz/wendover-caffe-bedford-8307751/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #22206 on: 25 November, 2018, 05:05:18 pm »
13 of us on informal ride to Bedord to visit a rather remarkable Italian Cafe. Highly recommended. Authentic Italian Deli, Bistro and Cafe. Coffee £1, Full English or Pasta bake, Pizza baked on premises. Chocolate cake to die for £2.

33 Miles in beautiful but chilly weather due to easterly wind.

https://www.yell.com/biz/wendover-caffe-bedford-8307751/
About a 10 minute walk from my house, and I never knew it existed! Thanks for the heads up!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22207 on: 25 November, 2018, 06:59:11 pm »
Went up the Concord Way, getting a look at the new! (just like pre-1984!), shiny! modern! four-track Filton Bank (opened last week but more ballasting and tamping and grinding this w/e) then up meandering round the northern fringe out to Hambrook, somewhere else, round a bit more, Swan Lane, up to Tytherington, back down Gaunts Earthbrook and home again. A pleasant no-hurry making-it-up-as-I-go-along ride, all in jeans and with a pannier of groceries from the Co-op. Out for about three or four hours, no idea how far I went – not far but further than normal in that garb!

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22208 on: 25 November, 2018, 08:22:48 pm »
Inspired by a conversation at the Cyclenation conference yesterday, I went to investigate the cycling facilities and pedestrain access at the new Silly Oak retail park.  Underwhelming and somewhat lacking, respectively.

« Reply #22209 on: 30 November, 2018, 11:20:56 pm »
120 km round the Dales, with some green lanes and shootin' tracks between Wensleydale and Swaledale. Howling sou'westerly, intermittent showers and hail across the tops. More-or-less what you expect round there at the sharp end of November. I enjoyed the tailwind home (and got pulled over by the police, but that's a different story).

Swaledale really is the best dale:

And Wensleydale:

menthel

« Reply #22210 on: 02 December, 2018, 12:01:31 pm »
80k with the club, highlights including the Feltham Young Offenders Institution and a headwind for 60km of the way!

« Reply #22211 on: 02 December, 2018, 04:31:17 pm »
103km Midlander Audax and another 60km getting there and back but with a mainly south/north route, pleasant coming back !

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22212 on: 02 December, 2018, 06:59:02 pm »
(and got pulled over by the police, but that's a different story).
A different story that you know you're going to tell us now.

(And Swaledale might be the best dale, but it doesn't have the best cheese.  :D)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22213 on: 02 December, 2018, 07:01:02 pm »
(and got pulled over by the police, but that's a different story).
A different story that you know you're going to tell us now.

Indeed...

(And Swaledale might be the best dale, but it doesn't have the best cheese.  :D)

It does, however, have the best sheep.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #22214 on: 05 December, 2018, 09:50:21 pm »
First proper ride for too long, a loop around the Greenwich and Bexley suburbs. Might not sound amazing on paper but it was great because:
Got out just after the rain stopped
Roads were dead quiet, so lots of long gentle climbs and descents on empty roads
Bexley Council have lovely bright halogen street lights
Saw lots of Christmas illuminations!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22215 on: 09 December, 2018, 09:44:21 am »
Went out for some Saturday morning consumerism. Tried on four pairs of jeans, didn't buy any. Oh hang on, wrong place! Rode up to Tortworth for koffii anna caek – lemon curd sponge. While I was there it started raining but the sky was mostly bright and cloudless so jacketed up and carried on. But carry on to where? Hadn't really decided. Headed on to Nibley and noticed how low the sun was in the sky behind me. Checked the time – it would be dark in just over an hour. And the rain had gone but come back again, but more to the point it was very windy. So went to the Black Shed in Slimbridge, cos it's got a reputation. But does it deserve it? Well it's a nice position next to the canal (which looked very high with regular waves travelling Gloucester-wards, presumably wind blown) but frankly it smells of old grease. I don't know if it's under the same management as before it closed, quite likely it used to be better.

And then home. Dark now and the wind had really got up (yr.no said over 25mph) with bursts of rain. At one point along the exposed flat section between Ham and Hill a particularly strong period of wind combined with the flatness, the relative lack of hedge and the direction of the road to make it a bit scary riding – so I got off and walked for a minute or two. Just at this point a car came past, stopped and the driver asked if I was okay "or was it just the wind?". Which was nice of him. I noted that it was a small car, quite likely in a big car you wouldn't feel the wind much. And then there was a weird total calm. Before more wind, obviously, I decided to go via Thornbury rather than my usual route of Oldbury. And so up Fern Hill and down the Concorde Way to home. I hadn't been paying attention to the distance but checking the comp at home it came to a satisfyingly palindromic 101.

« Reply #22216 on: 09 December, 2018, 05:03:09 pm »
First ride outside in over a month today. Nidderdale Greenway, up to Brigham Rock and then back down the fast Way of the Roses route past the Ripon turnoff and right to Bishop Thornton, down and up and over to Hampsthwaite (couldn’t be bothered with church hill in birstwith), then back through Killinghall and along the Greenway again.

Over 40km in the cold sunshine. Lovely to be out, even on tired legs.

Mike

« Reply #22217 on: 09 December, 2018, 07:27:15 pm »
Very enjoyable and festive ride around Grafham water in surprisingly good weather.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

menthel

« Reply #22218 on: 09 December, 2018, 07:35:43 pm »
Out with the club for 90km with some small Surrey lumps. It was wet and very windy. The kind of wind that is strong enough to make even me slower uphill, cause you to pedal down a decent you usually don't and blow you sideways for good measure. It was fun though!

« Reply #22219 on: 10 December, 2018, 10:51:57 am »
.... between Ham and Hill a particularly strong period of wind combined with the flatnessulence,

That's what Mrs Ham complains about as well

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22220 on: 10 December, 2018, 01:32:27 pm »
Cycling recycling we call that.

Anyway, I went out this morning after a metforminous week off. Legs started to hurt after  ~100 metres & stayed that way. Jacked it in on second decent hill. Blustery cold wind helped. 25k all the same and every one of them hurt.

Cycle path over in the next valley was wall-to-wall twigs in places, so I stopped every so often & cleared the way.  Noticed in doing so that none of them had been broken off the bushes either side: all the ends had nice regular cuts. Looks like the council had come by with a trimmer and just left the detritus to lie in the undergrowth, and the wind blew them out. Twunts.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22221 on: 12 December, 2018, 10:44:32 pm »
A very enjoyable 45 miles or so in the company of nikki otp, during the course of which we limbo-cycled (nikki), activated colour-light bicycle croquet hoops (both of us), hit a vicious unseen pothole (dark, otherwise smooth road) while indicating, lost all grip on the bars but somehow recovered (me), comedy off-roaded (both) and ate cake (both).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22222 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:14:15 pm »
A took a video (on my phone, so probably pretty poor quality) of nikki riding under the low barrier (I guess it was about 5') but it failed to save so you'll just have to take my word for it. It was mighty impressive.

But I have this vid where you can see nikki, or her headlight, playing in the cyclo-lumino-croquet hoops.

Not sure if the link above will work.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22223 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:17:46 pm »
Ah, that kind of limbo-cycling.  A favourite of recumbentists departing for Clarion's Local from the York Rally...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22224 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:43:41 pm »
No, sorry, that's not the limbo-cycling. I've edited my post to make it clearer. The limbo-cycling was underneath a Silly Sustrans Gate (actually local authority, probably older than Sustrans, and probably technically a footpath, but hey). That video is (if you can see anything) an art-play-interactive installation on College Green, in front of Bristol Cathedral.
https://bristolcitycentrebid.co.uk/interactive-light-installation-for-college-green/