Author Topic: Struggling with small accelerations  (Read 2617 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Struggling with small accelerations
« on: 22 October, 2016, 11:28:21 am »
I am not sure what the problem is but when cycling read commuting any acceleration, for example, to get across a set of lights etc or indeed getting away from a set of lights really saps my energy.  It takes quite a while to recover, ten minutes or so, and I think I get fatigued much quicker.

Is this something that I can train for or is it simply not being fit enough?

If it is training should I be doing?

Thanks

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
Re: Struggling with small accelerations
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2016, 11:32:13 am »
Is it something that you have struggled with in the past or is it a recent phenomenon?

Edited to add: If this is a sudden change or something that has crept up on you while your general level of exercise has been pretty constant I would say get yourself checked out thoroughly rather than trying to train round it.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2016, 12:12:14 pm »
I agree that if it is new then get it checked, especially if you are over 40.  Could well be the first sign of cardiac problems.

velosam

« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2016, 12:27:19 pm »
Is it something that you have struggled with in the past or is it a recent phenomenon?

Edited to add: If this is a sudden change or something that has crept up on you while your general level of exercise has been pretty constant I would say get yourself checked out thoroughly rather than trying to train round it.

I think it's always been there I just notice it more now.

« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2016, 06:57:59 pm »
Sam doesn't look over 40!

A check might be worthwhile Sam, and if all's fine then it's probably a case of some specific training. What you need to do will depend on the nature of the fatigue, but something as simple as doing some squats 3 mornings a week might help. As ever, start easy and build up the number progressively.

Another point we can forget is that exercise is usually on of several loads on us and if work, family or other areas become overwhelming then the fatigue does carry through into sport performance.

Also, I think there are some people whose muscle physiology is quite extreme and tends very strongly to either power or endurance with little crossover - I have a friend who is a phenomenal endurance runner, beating pretty well all then men in off road ultra races, but she is far from fast over 800 or even a mile.

Hope you're ok?

Mike

velosam

« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2016, 08:14:10 pm »
Sam doesn't look over 40!

A check might be worthwhile Sam, and if all's fine then it's probably a case of some specific training. What you need to do will depend on the nature of the fatigue, but something as simple as doing some squats 3 mornings a week might help. As ever, start easy and build up the number progressively.

Another point we can forget is that exercise is usually on of several loads on us and if work, family or other areas become overwhelming then the fatigue does carry through into sport performance.

Also, I think there are some people whose muscle physiology is quite extreme and tends very strongly to either power or endurance with little crossover - I have a friend who is a phenomenal endurance runner, beating pretty well all then men in off road ultra races, but she is far from fast over 800 or even a mile.

Hope you're ok?

Mike

Mike, you are a gent cheers and am OK, I hope.

Just a tad over 40, about a finger if you subscribe to your lifetime being condensed into a week.

I had a full test about 2 years ago (after a dodgy ecg) but they pronounced me fit. My blood work was done last week and again nothing to worry about.

I suspect I am always on my limit or something as trying to get my pace up is physically difficult for me and recovery is an issue.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2016, 06:39:25 am »
If it's any help, the older I've got, the harder I find it to cope with small changes of pace, such as on a club run or following a wheel on an Audax event.  My overall speed has dropped a little over the last few years, but I think its more a psychological thing - as I've got a better feel for what pace suits me (and a better long distance rider overall) my body's adapted to avoid short unnecessary accelerations.

If you look at successful long distance cyclists (I had the pleasure of riding with Teethgrinder for a section of the Flatlands) they ride very smoothly with virtually no small accelerations.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)