Author Topic: Luggage setups  (Read 6172 times)

Luggage setups
« on: 07 April, 2017, 11:20:47 am »
I've recently been given (v nice present) two font panniers, which I was going to use on a rear rack with tent etc on top of the rack.

However I already have a saddlebag on rear and a front rack fitted.

So it might be more sensible to try them on front rack with light stuff in them and heavier things in saddlebag.

Anyone else run with this sort of setup? They are 28l for the pair.

The alternative is to remove the saddlebag and use the front rack to carry a drybag stuffed with sleeping bag/clothes (which I've done before), panniers on rear with tent on top.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Luggage setups
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2017, 11:26:46 am »
I've recently been given (v nice present) two font panniers, which I was going to use on a rear rack with tent etc on top of the rack.

However I already have a saddlebag on rear and a front rack fitted.

So it might be more sensible to try them on front rack with light stuff in them and heavier things in saddlebag.

Anyone else run with this sort of setup? They are 28l for the pair.

The alternative is to remove the saddlebag and use the front rack to carry a drybag stuffed with sleeping bag/clothes (which I've done before), panniers on rear with tent on top.

Tomsk of this parish has run a set up such as this.  Also seen it used by US tourer types (seen the photos on the web).  So I don't see why it wouldn't work.  Be worth a try.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:44:39 pm »
In my somewhat limited experience of front panniers on upwrongs, it's not so much about the weight as much as how evenly they're loaded.  Front/back balance affects bike handling, with a bit less weight on the back generally being a good thing, but not as much as uneven front panniers affect the steering.

Someone just cycled past my window with front panniers and an (empty) child seat on the back.  That's a proven practical combination.

I think the best approach is to experiment with different combinations and see how your bike actually handles.

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:54:13 pm »
I used a pair of small front panniers (AGU Quorum) and a Carradice Campers Longflap saddlebag with the tent attached across the carrier behind the saddlebag - my tent is the same length as the saddlebag.  I carried only lightweight stuff in the panniers, sleeping bag, mat and cooking kit.  It all worked well.  I also had a barbag for paperwork and other items I wanted to take with me when shopping etc

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:58:10 pm »
Tanatab, did you have a rack on the rear?
Currently I have a bagman expedition, which bounces off the mudguard.
I could switch that out for a rack, hang bag off the saddle (brooks) and put tent on the rack. Food in the saddlebag (since that tends to be heaviest stuff). That would give me loads of room in front panniers for other stuff.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:59:47 pm »
How a bike will react to front/rear luggage distribution depends partly on its trail and also on its inherent (unladen) weight distribution, I'd say.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »
Tanatab, did you have a rack on the rear?
Yes, an old Blackburn.
How a bike will react to front/rear luggage distribution depends partly on its trail and also on its inherent (unladen) weight distribution, I'd say.
At that time I was using an early (1999) Thorn Audax frame, the one made  of all sorts of Reynolds tubing and a frame sticker 2 inches long.  I am a pedaller not a pusher and I found that he front wheel oscillated a little above about 120rpm.  Weight was about 5lbs each side.

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2017, 02:59:31 pm »
I've done that several times, with Ortlieb Frontrollers on a low-rider rack, and a Camper Longflap on a Bagman QR, with the tent crossways under the flap.
It works well, provided that the quantity of gear fits with space over for food shopping.

There's no need to get the front panniers exactly balanced, so long as they are vaguely similar. Having said that, going shopping with just one front pannier can make the return trip distinctly awkward.
I ended up putting a bumper on the Bagman to protect the mudguard.

« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2017, 03:36:42 pm »
Interesting light bracket.

I had criss-cross cableties across the bagman bracket to stop the saddlebag bulging down and pressing down on the mudguard. I should probably replace them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2017, 04:24:42 pm »
We rebent one of HK's Bagmans to stop it tapping the rear mudguard over bumps. No problems since.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2017, 10:22:27 pm »
Interesting light bracket.
It's one of these:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/hebie-arc-j82s-sl-universal-rack-fitting-light-bracket/

The Bagman support is a little thinner than the Blackburn style solid aluminium racks it's meant for, so I wrapped a strip of drinks can round before fitting it.

« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2017, 11:01:07 pm »
These light brackets are great.

Returning to the original subject, yes I did some extended weekend touring with a set of smallish front panniers on a lowrider plus a rackpack (with extensions) on the rear rack. Works like a charm. Only drawback is that not all cardrivers spot the front panniers so they pass closer as they would when you have bulging rear panniers.

« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2017, 03:01:23 pm »
Did a trial pack last night.

Tent pretty much fills the saddlebag (it's one of the Argos pro-action tents). I can get my sleeping mat under the flap. Tools, spare inner tube, pump, cafe lock also fit in saddlebag. There is room for odd and ends such as stove fuel in there but not much else.
Sans stuffsack, my sleeping bag nearly fills one small front pannier, with spare gloves and overshoes in side-pocket.
That leaves one small pannier for cooking gear, spare clothes, electronics (phone, battery) maps, wallet and food.

It is a bit of a squeeze.

I could put sleeping mat on top of the front rack. Clothes or cooking gear can then go on top of saddlebag, probably clothes in a waterproof stuffsack.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:04:11 pm »
What sort of saddlebag are you using? I never understand how people manage to get a tent in a pannier, never mind a saddlebag!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:14:54 pm »
I never understand how people manage to get a tent in a pannier

Poles just fit diagonally across the back of a Back-Roller.  Drybag full of clothes at the bottom (about half the pannier's volume), remaining space occupied by tent just stuffed in on top (if it's wet I'll remove the inner, roll it up and pack it separately).  Works for my Akto and the Banshee 300, so probably applicable to most small tents.

I expect for a saddlebag, the tent needs to be wrapped up tightly in its compression sack.  The Pro-Action one packs down surprisingly well.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:35:47 pm »
So you don't bother with the tent's own stuff sack? In effect the tent is broken down into component parts. I guess I could do that too; but then the question would be what to do with all the stuff I normally have in the pannier! (usually cooking stuff one side, sleeping stuff the other, clothes somewhere). As the tent packs into one bag, it fits nicely on top of the rack. I only say this works for me, I'm not recommending it as some sort of universal solution.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:44:51 pm »
So you don't bother with the tent's own stuff sack?

No.  I like to avoid strapping things to the top of the rack if possible.  Plus the Akto stuff sack is an overly generous fit, which is great for storage, but not really conducive to being secured to anything.

I normally use four panniers for touring (no bar bag, top of rear rack free for temporary shopping).  That seems to be a reasonable amount of space.

If I wanted to stick to two panniers (eg. on the Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle, which only has a rear rack) something would have to go on the top.  That might be the tent, or a racktop bag with the bike stuff and valuables.

« Reply #17 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:47:05 pm »
Same here, the tent goes into one of the panniers (usually tent, sleeping bag and mat in one pannier). I buy my tents according to the size packed down and not so much to according to the weight. On top of the rack is usually my rack pack for all losse stuff I might need on the road.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:49:06 pm »
The other thing I use the top of the rack for is a mesh bag containing drying clothing.

« Reply #19 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:58:07 pm »
The other thing I use the top of the rack for is a mesh bag containing drying clothing.

A very handy kind of bag which can also be hung from the side of a pannier, depending on where the sun is.

« Reply #20 on: 24 May, 2017, 10:03:03 pm »
What sort of saddlebag are you using? I never understand how people manage to get a tent in a pannier, never mind a saddlebag!
I'm using a Nelson Longflap and the tent fits inside the saddlebag, crossways, quite easily, inside the tent's own stuffsack. Like Kim said, it is pretty compact when packed down. Despite being a cheap tent, it has very high-quality aluminium poles that fold to about 25cm length.
It ain't really lightweight, but fairly robust, easy to erect, relatively roomy and packs small.
My bulky bit of kit is my sleeping bag - it is relatively warm though and will keep me warm even if I'm wet and cold, unlike any really lightweight modern bag that I've seen.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:50:43 am »
Thanks. Just measured my tent and I don't think it'll squash down to less than 39cm. Also looked at the Carradice site and was surprised to see Nelson is only 6cm wider than a Barley (but considerably deeper).

« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:57:09 am »
If you take the poles out of the bag, your tent may pack smaller than you expect. Poles can be carried outside of saddlebags/rucksacks/panniers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 25 May, 2017, 01:40:41 pm »
The best way to carry tent poles is in Radical banana bags.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #24 on: 25 May, 2017, 01:45:14 pm »
It depends.

No two bikes will deal with luggage the same way an the type of carrier/rack will have an effect (Tubus tend to be absolutely rock solid whereas some other flex and wobble).

I'd start with panniers at the rear and, if it handles OK, stick with that.  If it feels a bit twitchy then add low-rider rack at the front and try that.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.