Author Topic: Brix 'n Water  (Read 2373 times)

Brix 'n Water
« on: 30 June, 2017, 04:27:49 pm »
The AUK calendar says this ride (216km) has 2,300 metres of climbing but when I uploaded the GPX track to BikeHike it came out at only 1,400 metres - that's quite a discrepancy. I tried another web site and it too came out at 1,400m.

Anyone know which is the more accurate figure?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Re: Brix 'n Water
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2017, 05:45:19 pm »
That's my neck of the woods Mr. Wobbly. It might be slightly more than 1400, but not much. As per the description "rolling".

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:04:37 pm »
Last time I rode it in 2015, the climbing was 5,085ft according to Strava.

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:08:18 pm »
Last time I rode it in 2015, the climbing was 5,085ft according to Strava.

But that's 1550 metres. Nether one nor the other. I'm even more confused.

I'm very worried about  the Rutland Wolds. Do I need to take my climbing legs or not?

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:27:41 pm »
I think that there is at least one chevron so I reckon 'crinkly' rather than 'rolling'.

Don't forget to snigger as you ascend Knob Hill.

« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:14:49 pm »
Flat would be good for me. I've decided to do it on the Brompton, because... well, why not?

John

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:25:58 pm »
Brompton sounds good. I'll be on my Pashley Guv'nor.

And then there are all those other riders on, well... very ordinary bikes.

« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2017, 12:33:35 pm »
Well, I can confirm that the first 18km of the ride is pretty near pancake-flat. I wouldn't know about the rest because that's where my brand new Schlumpf Mountain Drive gave up the ghost :(

Faced a long walk (three and a half hours the GPS helpfully noted) back to the start but, with 10km to go, very kind chap took pity and offered to drive me there. However, in the hour or so that I was pushing the bike I was passed by *loads* of riders; clearly these lanes are extremely popular. But it was very disappointing how few of them bothered to ask if everything was OK or if I needed help - in fact only three people did. Even more disappointing were the Audax riders on the shorter of the rides whose route follows the 200 for a while; not one of them asked either.

What happened to the spirit of Audax? The fellowship of the wheel?

Unless I was in dire straights myself, or unless the rider had other riders stopped with them, I cannot imagine not asking a fellow rider if they needed help. It's sad if ignoring the plight of fellow rider is the norm these days.  :(

I was heartened that, when I rang Daniel to let him know I'd packed, he asked if I was OK getting back to the start - I appreciated the implied offer of help.

Anyway, the first 18km is easy, flat and pleasant. So, I'll be back.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2017, 01:49:35 pm »
Sounds like the Schlumpf BB retaining rings need to be very securely tightened into the shell. Better to find out now, I guess.

The fellowship of the wheel is fairly hit and miss nowadays. Being on an unusual bike might not help. "That eccentric bloke wants to walk his bike for a change of pace..."
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2017, 01:58:27 pm »
Suspect the fellowship of the wheel got diluted by a whole lot of people who lack joint membership with the fellowship of the spanner.  If your roadside repair strategy is having your SO on speed-dial, I can understand not stopping to offer assistance to someone who appears to have a subtle mechanical problem unless actively flagged down.  You may have had better results with a visibly flat tyre or an injury.

(There are contexts when I won't lend assistance to randoms on account of my personal safety spidey sense, but the lanes in question on a Saturday morning don't qualify.)

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:03:14 pm »
I felt a bit bad not stopping, but it looked like it was just the torque arm had come loose, I thought a quick tightening of the hose clamp and you'd be off! Shame it was more terminal  :(

It was a lovely ride, and I'm glad I did it on the Brompton so I can say I have, but I won't be Audaxing on it again. My word it was hard work!

John

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:52:55 pm »
"If your roadside repair strategy is having your SO on speed-dial"

It took a few goes for me to get that one. Anyways, not like you to have a mechanical drama Wobbly.

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2017, 09:43:04 pm »
I felt a bit bad not stopping, but it looked like it was just the torque arm had come loose, I thought a quick tightening of the hose clamp and you'd be off! Shame it was more terminal  :(

It was a lovely ride, and I'm glad I did it on the Brompton so I can say I have, but I won't be Audaxing on it again. My word it was hard work!

John

I think it's only fair to explain your comment, Sir.

Before the mechanical I'd been thundering along in the lead group (who was that tandem couple? I was planning on chatting to them later but circumstances intervened) and JohnL of this parish was showing what a Brompton can do by thundering along with us. I suddenly heard a worrying rattle and stopped to re-tighten the hose clamp / jubilee clip that I'd used to secure the torque arm on the brand new Schlumpf mountain drive I'd installed the night before.

I moved/tightened that and all was well. Well, for a few more kilometres anyway then the damn thing unscrewed itself and I was done for.

Glad to hear you finished the ride. You really ought to do more Audaxes on it. Makes it more of a challenge :)

« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2017, 10:15:34 pm »
Before the mechanical I'd been thundering along in the lead group (who was that tandem couple? I was planning on chatting to them later but circumstances intervened) and JohnL of this parish was showing what a Brompton can do by thundering along with us. I suddenly heard a worrying rattle and stopped to re-tighten the hose clamp / jubilee clip that I'd used to secure the torque arm on the brand new Schlumpf mountain drive I'd installed the night before.

I moved/tightened that and all was well. Well, for a few more kilometres anyway then the damn thing unscrewed itself and I was done for.

Aha! I didn't think it looked that bad.

We were flying!! The tandem crew were Ashley and Cathy. Ashley is, I believe, 321up of this parish. They are poetry in motion when climbing out of the saddle!

Glad to hear you finished the ride. You really ought to do more Audaxes on it. Makes it more of a challenge :)

It was certainly more of a challenge!!!

John