Author Topic: Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 22nd Sept 2017  (Read 33091 times)

Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 22nd Sept 2017
« on: 07 August, 2017, 07:07:06 pm »
Anyone else riding this? It's my birthday weekend and this is my present to myself.

Re: Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 22nd Sept 2017
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2017, 11:56:19 pm »
I have been thinking about it, it is a bit different to Andys normal 600s

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:56:32 pm »
I'm thinking about it, I'd like to get my SR and alas most of LEL isn't going to do that for me!
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2017, 05:07:51 pm »
There's a lot of interest in the first running of this event. A straight out and back run from Blackpool to Glasgow and back. Up to 50 entries will see the event pretty much run as a shoestring. 50 - 100 entries (and we're likely to get that!) will see at least one manned control offering food etc en-route. 100+ entries will see 2 controls, possibly including sleeping. There's about 20 entries so far!

Event website here: http://burnleyccevents.com/blackpool-glasgow-blackpool-600-22-septe

Andy Corless

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2017, 06:58:31 pm »
I'm hoping to complete my first SR at the end of this month. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one as a back-up plan should I fail.

« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »
Think I'm up for this one  :)

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:25:49 pm »
Anyone have a gpx file of the route?

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:38:35 pm »
Anyone have a gpx file of the route?

Andy will send out a routesheet to entrants a week or two before the event. But looking at the controls, it won't be at all complicated...

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2017, 07:27:22 pm »
Andy will send out a routesheet to entrants a week or two before the event. But looking at the controls, it won't be at all complicated...
Mmm. OK. I like to see how knee-crunching a route is before entering an event. 

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2017, 07:50:20 pm »
Mmm. OK. I like to see how knee-crunching a route is before entering an event.

Quick plot on ridewithgps between controls should give an easy indication of the challenge.  The out and back nature makes life even easier!

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2017, 10:18:49 am »
Tempted by this, it's just that getting to Blackpool is a hassle/costly (flying to Manchester etc).

Looking at the controls, how does one validate at Shap? Don't think there's anything still open after 02:00 and I can't find an ATM either.

« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2017, 02:33:17 pm »
Looking at the controls, how does one validate at Shap? Don't think there's anything still open after 02:00 and I can't find an ATM either.
There might be a controller there to stamp your card?
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

LMT

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2017, 04:30:10 pm »
Tempted by this, it's just that getting to Blackpool is a hassle/costly (flying to Manchester etc).

Selfie at the top where the summit sign is?

Not riding this but can recommend as a decent 600 ideal for the time of the year. Having ridden these roads when I done LEJOG the A6 is a good road at night, nice burn on the same LEL B road to Abingdon services and follow the main road to Paisley - simples - ish.

mr ben

« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2017, 07:21:32 pm »
50 - 100 entries (and we're likely to get that!) will see at least one manned control offering food etc en-route. 100+ entries will see 2 controls, possibly including sleeping. There's about 20 entries so far!

Im in.  Get entering you bastards!

« Reply #14 on: 24 August, 2017, 06:35:18 pm »
I seem to have 'accidently' entered  :P ;D
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #15 on: 27 August, 2017, 06:11:11 pm »
Yes, 'accidentally' entered myself.  First 600 though and seeking an SR at 62 years of age.  Not quite sure about the whole hotel booking thing.  Cut off times at Carlisle control on return end at around 04:30 but this would screw up staying somewhere before there and setting off around that time.  Do you have to make the stated control cut off times or are they just guides?

« Reply #16 on: 27 August, 2017, 06:38:52 pm »
As long as you arrive before the control cut-off, and make back the time before the next control, you can leave a control after it has technically closed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 27 August, 2017, 06:40:22 pm »
IIRC, on *BRM* events (such as this), you can be late at any ONE control.

In this case you have 100km to make up the time, which allows for a slight lie-in. Assuming my recollection of the rules is correct!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2017, 08:33:34 am »
Strictly speaking, your BRM card can be pulled for being a couple of minutes late at an intermediate control. Some overseas organisers delight in doing things by the book and doing this. There are various allowances for helping fellow riders and other worthy reasons. Many AUKs tend to be relaxed about intermediate time limits.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #19 on: 28 August, 2017, 12:27:56 pm »
In some circumstances a control might be at a remote site. There'll be someone there during the control opening hours. Once the time has elapsed, they'll move on to somewhere else.

Control times are more for the convenience of the organisers, or they'd be stuck there forever. Historically the lower speed limit was rarely significant, but many now take it as the norm. That's happened as courses have become hiller and more laney.

A course from Blackpool to Glasgow and back is a bit of a throwback, so should be achievable, wind and weather permitting.

« Reply #20 on: 28 August, 2017, 02:21:36 pm »
Entry just gone in. First 600 and previously only completed a 300km (Westmorland Spartans).

I live on the route (Kendal), where do I stand on nipping home for a brew and a biscuit?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #21 on: 28 August, 2017, 03:20:27 pm »
IIRC, on *BRM* events (such as this), you can be late at any ONE control.

Not in Norway you can, and from talking to them they follow the ACP rules to the letter.

If there really is such a rule by the ACP then I'd love to see a reference. My first 1000km was not validated because I arrived one hour late at one of the controls (but finished in time). Just a beginners mistake, I had not paid any consideration to the control times as they all were of the "get a ticket from a gas station/ATM/etc)" kind of control.

And on topic: in a momentary lapse of reason I got myself a ticket to fly over to ride BGB  ;D

(edit: fixed dangling quote)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 28 August, 2017, 04:37:17 pm »
I'm probably mis-remembering discussions of this:

There are various allowances for helping fellow riders and other worthy reasons. Many AUKs tend to be relaxed about intermediate time limits.

there is no hope of me finding a reference - I find all the ACP/LRM stuff most opaque, sorry!

Of course there is bound to be some grey areas in such rules. There will be events where if you submit your receipts with a convincing tale of woe, you'll be ok - but don't submit them with a note saying
"MattC said this would be alright."

I think if I was riding a UK600 and looking at booking accomodation, I would try sounding out the organiser on his views. Unless I didn't give a monkey's about the points.

There are certainly many of us in AUK who have had long brevets validated despite finishing (or controlling) out of time. In the UK and abroad. C'est la vie!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mr ben

« Reply #23 on: 28 August, 2017, 04:40:27 pm »
Quote from: smuttiesmith
I live on the route (Kendal), where do I stand on nipping home for a brew and a biscuit?

No different to stopping at a cafe.

I'm considering diverting from the route southbound between Abington and Carlisle to sleep on my parents sofa. Wondering if I should mention it to them or just take my spare key...any strange noises can be blamed on the cat.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 28 August, 2017, 05:10:31 pm »
Check Article 9 of  https://rusa.org/pages/rulesForRiders particularly
"Overall time limits vary for each brevet according to the distance. These are: (in hours and minutes, HH:MM) 13:30 for 200 KM, 20:00 for 300 KM, 27:00 for 400 KM, 40:00 for 600 KM, and 75:00 for 1000 KM. Additionally, riders must arrive at each checkpoint between the opening and closing time for the checkpoint. These times are noted on the brevet card with the information for the checkpoints."

RUSA is one of the more purist randonneuring organisations. Note the 'must'.

Section 10(3) of https://www.audax.org.au/public/images/stories/Documents/rideruleswebversion.pdf shows a similar intent. The brevet 'may' be validated if the reason is acceptable and not within the rider's control.

http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/322%20-%20Rules%20of%20BRM%20Worldwide.html is the English translation on the ACP website and very similar to the RUSA rules.
http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/FR/322%20-%20Réglement%20des%20BRM%20Monde.html is the French original and is basically identical to the translation.

Check with ACP directly for the straight dope. Actually, don't. Get your ACP representative to ask the question, but you might not like the answer and it might restrict future brevet organiser discretion in your country.

The basis for intermediate control opening and closing times has nothing to do with organiser convenience. Randonneur brevets grew out of UAF brevets and the UAF targets maintaining a published schedule all the way round the brevet. Randonneuring wanted optional average speeds faster than UAF schedules (minimum is basically the same) and the ability to ride solo by choice but still valued maintaining steady progress round the course. Arriving at all controls between the opening and closing times largely achieves those aims.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...