Author Topic: Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 22nd Sept 2017  (Read 33571 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Re: Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 21st Sept 2018
« Reply #175 on: 23 September, 2018, 12:03:20 am »
Thought I'd let you all know how things are going. 61 riders started at 10:00 pm Friday. 13 have abandoned leaving 48 still out on the road. The first two riders on the road have already passed through the final control at Carnforth at 554 km.

Andy Corless

Re: Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 22nd Sept 2017
« Reply #176 on: 23 September, 2018, 05:49:23 pm »
Well I hope the tail of the field got back OK. I had to pack at Abington due to a disintegrating bottom bracket. It was bloody cold as night fell. I’m sure that warm sun was welcome in the morning. Chapeau to all finishers. The logistics of a double night ride are certainly a challenge.

« Reply #177 on: 23 September, 2018, 05:53:54 pm »
That was tough. Made it back on Sunday morning but I started to get exposure on the descent of Shap Fell at about 2am so I went into Kendal Travelodge and they let me warm up. Arrived back around 9am to the start, with only 12 or so back by then, riding with a VC167 rider from Kendal who'd slept there.

Lots of climbing, some very rough roads. The 'alternative' route made it hillier plus an added fallen tree, with a cycle path on the side of the standard route that I used on the return leg was much better for me. https://www.strava.com/activities/1861202551

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #178 on: 24 September, 2018, 12:36:06 am »
That was interesting,

Except for a train cancellation had an easy day before
Tried to snooze in the bivvy bag before the start but it was too cold for that.

Decent paced start in a big group up to lowther

Stayed too long, knew a snooze wasn't going to happen but still tried, set off alone and rode with people on and off.

Riding through a junction on the way into Carlisle a rider next to me spotted glass just as we rode through it. Back tyre went soft at the bottom of the hill as I approached a bus stop with adjacent street light, handy!

Extended stop at Gretna as I again tried for a snooze I knew wouldn't come then out into the morning sun for the climb up beattock... Know the section up to beattock village from the borders Randonnee but only know the climb up to abington from driving the m'way, well Its boring in a car and just awful on the bike, deciding which bit of "tar" to ride and when seems to be the trick, stuck to the road and the gutter lanes on the way up.

Less extended stop at abington, discovered why kirkmuir hill was the better option for getting on to the Strathaven road as I weaved through Lesmahagow, SP networks were making up for the route change by placing 6 sets of lights on that road.

Not sure about the less direct route I took (the one in the rwgps I made), came across a tree on the road, wasted a minute or so first attempting to get through and then attempting to get unstuck, diverted to auldhouse then down to Newton Mearns, easy enough run into darnley in traffic and careful use of the cycle path and lack of demarcation of where it turned into a pavement.

Returned via kirkmuir Hill and on the way up beattock discovered the cycle track on the old west carriageway of the Old a74 was not only clean but surprisingly well surfaced leading to quite a nice ride in.

Hung around a bit but not dozzy in the slightest, so set off for the tar slalom down to johnstonebridge, decided not to stop there and the dozzies started to hit at Lockerbie, had it been warm the bivvy would have been out but it was baltic.

Gretna and a few people I'd earlier been playing leep frog with arrived, set an alarm for an hour but woke up 10 before that, even more had arrived but none looked ready to go so set off solo.

Another attack of the dozzies at lowther but the bus stop was rubbish and I'm not sure how you're meant to get the AED out the phone box as the door of the cabinet points at a wall and there's only just room between the two for me to slide into. Remembered seeing a proper stone shelter somewhere so carried on until I spotted it at shap, 15 mins set on the timer but I woke after 10 feeling much better.

Sun rose as I summited Shap so could see well enough for a decent paced descent, started to get very hungry so dived into a petrol station oddly owned by a company called Auk, then onto the truck stop.

Went in and got a breakfast roll surprised no one else was in until I found the leep froggers at the fuel station as I left.

Picked up two other riders at Lancaster for the roll into Blackpool, horrible traffic that made the Weegie standard of driving look fantastic.

Surprised to discover we weren't even 20th back with only a couple of hours to spare, another breakfast, faff and a snooze on an air bed until the noise of many more arriving woke me up.

Meant to go and do something this evening but I've just woken up, ach it was only trams and lights.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #179 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:43:57 am »
I had an unsatisfactory night ride in Lancashire and Cumbria, a pleasant day out in the Scottish borders and a gentle evening/early morning hours ride back in Lancashire.  Probably did about 420km in the end and was happy with that, having heard some of the tales from those who did the 600.

I missed the mass start as my Garmin was playing up and, due to said technical woes, took a much longer route out of the Blackpool area than had been planned.  I'd caught and passed a few riders when, somewhere out on the northern reaches of the Fylde, I heard that lovely rolling on the rims sound from the rear wheel.  I wasted a bit of time trying to find the source - unsuccessfully - before sticking in another tube and getting on my way. By this stage, as lots of people had streamed past me, I was pretty sure I must be last on the road.

The climb over Shap Fell was a bit of a slog but only because it was getting very cold. The descent really froze me and by the time I got to the first control, about an hour later than I would have anticipated, I had the shivers.  I stayed more than an hour, eating and drinking but couldn't shake them off.  A clutch of other riders were still there, at least one having already decided to pack.  I was still within time when I did leave, but I think my heart wasn't in it and my legs followed suit.

By Carlisle, I realised that I was going to be running up against control times all day unless I could magically find a way of getting some energy and getting warmer.  I spent almost two hours in a Mcdonalds, eating three breakfasts, and still felt cold.  So I decided not to try to get to Glasgow, but simply to ride north until about 2pm and then turn back.  In the end, I got just past Lockerbie and, as the road started to deteriorate, called time there.  On the way back, I had a very nice pub lunch in Ecclefechan, where the landlord commented on my LEL Jersey and mentioned that next time he might put out food and drink for the riders heading north, and then rode straight through to Kendal, crossing Shap Fell in daylight, which was a bonus.

The next control was a petrol station in Carnforth so I decided to have a proper dinner in Kendal, partly because, once again, I had got the shivers after coming down Shap.  I called in at the Carnforth services at about 12.15, only to encounter the first rider on the road - I think his name was Wayne - just leaving.  After a coffee, I too headed off, taking the last 48km at a leisurely pace and getting into the Arrivee just before 2.30.   A few hours dozing on one of the air beds that Andy had thoughtfully provided and I was off for the 08.00 train back to London.  By that stage, I think only three or four others had arrived.

So, not a great performance on my part but at least I did get a decent day out on the bike.  And the curry before the ride on Friday night was good too.

Oh, and I still have the shivers today.  Can't shake them.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Jay_70_One

• Condor Road Club
« Reply #180 on: 24 September, 2018, 02:20:27 pm »
Awesome for the finishers, well done. I had to scratch at Glasgow and managed to get a train to Preston and ride for my car. Excruciating pain in my ear made it impossible to dig deep, and have since had a diagnosis of a perforated eardrum and middle ear infection, so the right thing to do. The weather looked great on Sunday morning which made me more miserable. First ever scratch...onwards and upwards, see you in Paris

:-[
Don't die wondering...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #181 on: 24 September, 2018, 02:47:36 pm »
Ended up hobbling along to the nearest petrol station for tea after I wrote my above post, Ginsters, Coke and sweets...
Then slept until just before my alarm went off at 7 for my first proper meal since the fish supper on Friday afternoon.

Physically I feel no where near as knackered as after the borderlands explorer 600 just over a month ago, a decent bed afterwards possibly helped but also the terrain was nicer...

The big challenge was ignoring the fact I didn't need another 600 for either PBP qualification or SR purposes which would have made packing easier, this also made it harder to manage thinking "why am I doing this", which I was thinking almost all the way to Glasgow.

I also spent a lot of time riding in "the gap" so rarely had anyone to talk to, to distract myself. One of the things I was thinking was bail out plans so I worked out how to deal with packing and getting back to Blackpool to collect my bag!

From Glasgow back it was much easier and even more so after Gretna as by that point I could get on a train to Blackpool...

Anyway fought those demons and got back, unlike the 'puffer I went to bed during, twice... A handy one to remember for when the heids no in it 100%

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #182 on: 24 September, 2018, 08:47:01 pm »
Chapeau to all. I was the 'Muppet on the Moulton'. A term I coined when being passed by faster riders (i.e. everyone) on the Fylde, more than one of whom thought I was riding it for some sort of dare. Anyway, steady pace to Lowther, but chilly, 1hr 40 in hand. Rain jacket kept the chill off but sweaty. A quick beans on toast, tea, cake and IrnBru (thanks Andy). Still had 1hr 40 in hand at Gretna but too cold at 7am to shed the jacket so still had the winning combination of cold shakes and sweat, despite 2 x coffee, orange juice, pain au chocolat and bananas.

I always find the climb up Beattock a drag and this was no exception, even trying to ride just on the white line didn't offer much of a distraction. Plenty of other riders passed me and I was down to an hour in hand by Abington and I was no longer leapfrogging anyone. Burger Kings finest failed to revive me and I grovelled into Glasgow via East Kilbride, having already fallen asleep on the bike and hit the deck, fortunately on a bike path. I saw plenty of other riders heading back in EK, most of whom must have had a good hour in hand.

As I live in Glasgow I'd been thinking of bailing out and when my front mudguard broke and locked my front wheel sweeping down into Busby my mind was made up. Exceptional bike handling skills Good look kept me upright. Having strapped my mudguard onto my saddle bag I did think about making a dash for Darnley but despite the decent weather I didn't fancy chasing the time limit all the way back on no sleep. I ended up doing that last year despite leaving Glasgow about 5pm having had a couple of hours kip. Anyway, after a shower my 'little lie down' turned into 14 hours uninterrupted sleep. Heading back on Sunday to pick up the car I spotted another rider at Preston station (sorry I didn't get your name) who quit at Penrith. I'm disappointed as this was my last shot at an early registration slot for PBP, I'll just have to take my chances if I decide to do it. I think the chesty cold I had the couple of weeks before must have run me down more than I thought, or maybe I should get a grown-ups bike...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #183 on: 24 September, 2018, 10:56:41 pm »
Well I hope the tail of the field got back OK. I had to pack at Abington due to a disintegrating bottom bracket. It was bloody cold as night fell. I’m sure that warm sun was welcome in the morning. Chapeau to all finishers. The logistics of a double night ride are certainly a challenge.

Was that at one of the circles roundabouts (I can't remember where), if so I think I rolled past as there was two other riders with you at the time who told me about your problem when they caught me.
If not then that was someone else!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #184 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:22:44 pm »
Something that I should have thought to check when knocking up that route in RWGPS is the appropriate Core Paths network for the councils involved.

Basically Core Paths are designated paths that the Scottish land access laws require councils to both have and publish.
This also means that any path that looks like it may be a pavement provided under the Roads acts are not in fact pavements provided as a pedestrian refuge, but are usable if you meet the land access requirements (so any non-motorised vehicle); same applies to any section of pavement that is a Right of Way (Green Scotways signs)

The core paths maps are considerably more reliable than the OSM Outdoors and Cycling layers where paths are either missing or like one round by me so badly routed that they send you for a drowning in the local sand quarry.

South Lanarkshire is here and as you can see the main roads have Core Paths designated on the adjacent "pavement"
https://southlanarkshire.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=ea777bba61f94767a4a801f2f1d65e8b

All that said... Avoiding Scotland's New Towns is sound advice that I was happy enough to stick to,
I've been riding with an MTB club in Glenrothes for a few years on and off and I still have no orientation in that newtown!

The best bit was on descending to Newton Mearns, the realization that the climb back over to Stra-ven and (mostly down) to Gretna wasn't going to be as tough as it had been all the way up there.
Although I then rolled into a massive "bombhole" in Jenny Lind and didn't have the momentum to avoid crawling out of it at 5k

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #185 on: 25 September, 2018, 08:38:43 am »
...The core paths maps are considerably more reliable than the OSM Outdoors and Cycling layers where paths are either missing or like one round by me so badly routed that they send you for a drowning in the local sand quarry...

Perhaps someone with the appropriate information could update OSM, then?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #186 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:01:09 am »
...The core paths maps are considerably more reliable than the OSM Outdoors and Cycling layers where paths are either missing or like one round by me so badly routed that they send you for a drowning in the local sand quarry...

I could... the sand pit inaccuracy was reported but nothings come of that; and I've got better things to do than argue with moderators of online things as was the case when it took 6 attempts and a photograph to get a fault on google maps fixed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #187 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:22:58 am »
Regarding Moultons and brevets, pick the fastest rolling tyres you can find, even at the expense of some more flats. Small wheels have somewhat higher rolling resistance than big wheels and the effects of different tyre construction are magnified. On the other hand, wind drag is noticeably lower.

HK and I have ridden Moultons for most of our long brevets over many years, mostly for the improved comfort but also ease of transport. This year's longest Moulton brevets were a UAF1000 to Ventoux and the 1500km HBKH.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #188 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:28:37 am »

I could... the sand pit inaccuracy was reported but nothings come of that; and I've got better things to do than argue with moderators of online things as was the case when it took 6 attempts and a photograph to get a fault on google maps fixed.

OSM can be edited by users. There is no need to report anything.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #189 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:43:03 am »

Had a proper look at OSM's editing tools; the environment looks considerably more user friendly and less adversarial Moderator based than Google's tools...
Have put the edit in, the source of the initial error is the Fife Council mapping.

« Reply #190 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:51:59 am »

Was that at one of the circles roundabouts (I can't remember where), if so I think I rolled past as there was two other riders with you at the time who told me about your problem when they caught me.
If not then that was someone else!

yep - that was me.  the cranks were rolling all over the place, but it was possible to pedal gently, so I managed to get to Abington.  I know realise that the bottom bracket threads have been stripped out.  It was not wise to continue!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #191 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:53:22 am »

Had a proper look at OSM's editing tools; the environment looks considerably more user friendly and less adversarial Moderator based than Google's tools...
Have put the edit in, the source of the initial error is the Fife Council mapping.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #192 on: 25 September, 2018, 12:18:54 pm »

Not sure what is gonna be written here...  got a bit late in my plans to put my own GPX together so reviewed and took the eejit route.

Thinking of a more detailed write up at some point to alleviate the mental trauma but here's a quick brain dump.

Steady blast into Lancaster with the bunch, chased back down after a pee stop after Carnforth. Steady and relatively strong up Shap so ended up alone. A great illustration that although you can feel out on your own and not see anyone for hours there can be dozens of people in a few km of you, being able to see a string of flashing tail lights ahead and a similar string of headlamps behind.
Still pleased to get my beans on toast. Rear light had died when I left requiring a quick unpack, battery change & repack in the cold before setting off.
Solo again now so kept it steady to Penrith (24hr garage mentally noted) and rolling to Carlisle and finally Gretna having been passed by a faster small group who were still at the petrol station. Set off ahead of them (leaving them huddled round the costa machine).
A short way out getting a serious case of the dozies, willing the sun to come up soon, had to stop in the brightly lit underpass, stare at the lights and take one of the caffeine mint chews i'd brought to try out. Just aiming to get to each town along the road thinking I can stop and close my eyes for 5minutes and then it will be daylight, looking over my shoulder I could see the light coming and luckily never needed to stop for that shuteye.
That section I know from LEL and was pleased to make the Moffat turn after that the long drag up to Abington... felt truly awful and slow until I realised the trio of poor surface, steady incline, steady headwind was taking it's toll.. as soon as one of those went away things felt much better.
My first coffee of the rid & bacon roll i'd been promising myself then back to the rough road to Darnley.. bit of a drag but got there in okay shape, despite a momentary lapse in concentration on a short descent putting me into the gutter and on the deck, no major damage.
Back out was also a bit of a drag and not looking forward to the road surface. Abington 2nd time for a big stock up on supplies, knowing that the 80km to Gretna felt long on the way out !
Luckily the steady incline and steady headwind actually paid back and made really good time to Gretna despite getting a bit moanie through to Lockerbie. Brief stop at Gretna to pack away some food shoot on to Carlisle where I had a room booked.
My vague plan had me arriving between 10pm and midnight but to my surprise I was there for 9:15. Struggled to eat my sandwich but gave myself the luxury of time to set out my fresh kit for tomorrow, shower & repack before 4 hours solid kip. Waking at 2 and on the road for half past.
Sleep felt like it had no effect as the constant a-road gradient drags up & down through to Penrith were depressing, I was also nursing the last of my main light battery knowing i'd want it for descending shap. The noted 24hr garage at Penrith for a coffee/milk drink and tub of pineapple was a welcome respite from the cold weather, the chap there had some come through around midnight and some at about 2am.
Not much recollection of descending shap so didn't know quite how this climb would be, I was moving so that's okay.
The dozies were coming back, again just trying to get back through to daylight I had the presence of mind to take another of the chews to make sure I had some concentration on the descent.
Ironically pleased that it was still too early for anywhere to be open for breakfast at Kendal although a well travelled & squashed cheese bagel saved the day.
Slow and iffy through to Carnforth which took an age to arrive, feeling nauseous so just took a can of coke there (should have used the loo too in hindsight).
Good run in to Lancaster and then just trying to keep myself focused.. counting down the km and doing the mental maths on times. The wind was kind here and I enjoyed the scenery we'd missed on the way out. Unpleasant coming back into Bispham and of course missed the left right to the scout hut first time.
Back maybe half ten... was all rather quiet but Andy reckoned 2/3 of the starters still out there.
Even made it back to the hotel for breakfast :)

I'm sure more random thoughts will come back to me later.... thanks to all those I chatted & rode with... a bit of a thankless route from a to b to a for the sake of it... but a 600 with the boxes ticked nevertheless !
(I clocked 615km around 36hrs and 27hrs riding time)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1863243872

« Reply #193 on: 25 September, 2018, 12:19:54 pm »
and PS thanks of course to Andy for the organising and copious supplies of tea & toast !

« Reply #194 on: 25 September, 2018, 01:09:08 pm »
The first two riders on the road have already passed through the final control at Carnforth at 554 km.

Andy Corless

Surprised this hasn't been commented on, they must have been averaging about 40kmh! Impressive stuff.

« Reply #195 on: 25 September, 2018, 01:20:02 pm »
Regarding Moultons and brevets, pick the fastest rolling tyres you can find, even at the expense of some more flats. Small wheels have somewhat higher rolling resistance than big wheels and the effects of different tyre construction are magnified. On the other hand, wind drag is noticeably lower.

HK and I have ridden Moultons for most of our long brevets over many years, mostly for the improved comfort but also ease of transport. This year's longest Moulton brevets were a UAF1000 to Ventoux and the 1500km HBKH.
My comment was in jest, I chose a Moulton specifically for its comfort over longer brevets and I know the bike isn't the limiting factor (even if others think so!). I've experimented a bit with tyres and settled on Panaracer Minits Lite PT for the time being. Still playing about with tyre pressures but about 90 psi seems to work well. I've noticed the bike handling is noticeably less affected by wind (and drafts from trucks) but I'm not sure about the overall aero. Although the frontal area is less the spaceframe seems to be optimised for turbulance. I've yet to hit the top speeds on long decents achieved on my conventional bike (about the same weight) but this could be any number of other factors, tyres, slightly different position...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #196 on: 25 September, 2018, 02:33:24 pm »
The first two riders on the road have already passed through the final control at Carnforth at 554 km.

Andy Corless

Surprised this hasn't been commented on, they must have been averaging about 40kmh! Impressive stuff.

Couldn't think of what to say about that!
26 hours based on the time of Andy's post?

Just over 21kmh overall?

Just looking over my stats; coldest I've recorded is -2; at Harthope on the Beattock descent; also dissapointed to see my average speed was only 24kmh between Beattock Summit and Ecclefechan although I appear to have taken 3 pee stops during it...

Edit:
Just uploaded the continuous recording from my Lezyne onto RWGPS (On longer rides I use the Wahoo for navigation and Leg recordings, but I keep the Lezyne running constantly, basically it's a way of making sure I get the record on the Wahoo with all the data feeders attached, and a display of the overall average on the Lezyne; keep that above 15k and I'm happy enough!)

Moving Average of 23.2
37hrs 46m recorded (I started it slightly before 10pm)
11 hours 1min and 27 seconds stopped...

44 mins at Lowther, 29 mins in the bus stop at Carlisle fixing the puncture, 44mins at Gretna, 4min pee, 10min Johnstonebridge Meerkat and photo stop, 3m pee, 42m Abington, 42m Darnley, 48m Abington, 2m pee, 8m pee and WTF am I doing at Lockerbie, 1h 24m Gretna, 2m just out of Carlisle and another verge watering for 6m at High Heskett and yet another 2m at Plumpton, 12m sitting in the bus stop at lowther and seeing if I could wedge myself between the AED box and phonebox side for a sleep (I couldn't but then remembered clocking a decent stone bus shelter somewhere on the roll into Lowther the previous night; another 2m stop then 14m in the Shap bus stop (had I remembered this earlier I could have had longer snoozing), 5m near Garth Row, 20m at the shell across from the Kendal Travellodge at AUK services to deal with the hunger that appeared on Shap once the sun came up, 38 minutes at Truckhaven for a breakfast roll.

Which is 7 and a half hours worth of the stops; the rest appear to be where RWGPS thinks I'm too slow to count as moving and junction stops.

What I find I get really confused with is timings; part of this is due to me using the Lezyne to display both time of day and ride duration one above the other; on first arrival at Abington I looked at it, saw I'd been riding for 14hrs and thought; "crap I've only got 45 mins in hand" which of course I didn't I had 2 hours! Unless you start at midnight ride duration is a useless metric to have displayed so I'll be getting that off the screen!
I also had time related confusion on the Borderlands 600; I was convinced I set off on the final leg at 1400, not 1000 and was rather confused to get to Wooler before 1600

Pretty happy to manage to keep 2hrs in hand most of the way though and generally build that up to just short of 3 before each control stop on the way back.
I may also need to reduce my reliance on energy drinks during the night and in winter, I was carrying 10 gels and didn't use a single one so was drinking to get energy in rather than because I needed to drink.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #197 on: 25 September, 2018, 03:18:47 pm »

Andy Corless

Things are not quite as they seem.  One of them was me  :-[ (see above).  I had arrived just as the first man back was getting ready to go and we spoke briefly about the state of the roads up around Moffat.  I reckon his total time, including stops, must have been about 27 hours.  About ten minutes later I was in the service station having a coffee and chatting with the man behind the till when Andy rang to warn him that there might be bunch of cyclists coming through during the night. He then responded that one had just left and another one was there, hence Andy's assumption that we were both on our way back from Glasgow. 

The rider ahead had overtaken me about 10 miles up the road. I remember thinking at the time that he was steaming along pretty impressively for someone with more than 500km already in the bag.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #198 on: 25 September, 2018, 07:56:09 pm »
Could be this Wayne!
https://www.strava.com/activities/1859459758

Only 2 hours stopped!

simonp

« Reply #199 on: 26 September, 2018, 08:39:28 am »
A moving average of 25kph. Don’t know where 40kph comes from!