Author Topic: Every County Town in Britain  (Read 9352 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Every County Town in Britain
« Reply #50 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:20:12 pm »
Or Xennor.

IGMC
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #51 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »
Tenby? (Xby)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #52 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:44:57 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #53 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:48:31 pm »
Is there any country in the World that has clearly defined Capitals/Administrative centres? Because if there is - that's where I'm going!  :P
germany.

It has 16 Länder (counties) and each has a Landeshauptstadt (such as Düsseldorf for NRW).

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #54 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:52:23 pm »
Is there any country in the World that has clearly defined Capitals/Administrative centres? Because if there is - that's where I'm going!  :P

I think I'm correct in saying each of the 50 US states has a single recognized capital. Although you could allow territories and dependencies like the US Virgin Isles and Guam to complicate things, if you wish.

There's a route for all lower 48 already, although you'd have to adjust it for the capitals specifically [edit: This route is for the capitals, my mistake], and to avoid freeways.. ok scrap that...

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #55 on: 03 November, 2017, 03:00:46 pm »
This reminds me of a few years ago when I thought about riding to a British town beginning with every letter of the alphabet.  Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere beginning with X  :'(

Exeter?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Ben T

« Reply #57 on: 03 November, 2017, 08:22:41 pm »
I'm trying to get Rule 1 down - which is where I have to go.

Shit, this is hard. I know people have already pointed out the rather random nature of administative centres, but I've been researching myself. The UK is fucked up! Why do we have to be so awkward?!

I think I might go with the pre 1889 reforms. That way there can be no doubt as they're never going to change.

So, I have my list. Now it's time to get some maps out....

Edit: Where a county has multiple administative centres eg Middlesex (with 4) I have to go to all of them....

As long as you remember that the capital of Lancashire is NOT MANCHESTER!! :demon: grrr... ;)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #58 on: 03 November, 2017, 08:25:49 pm »
Great idea, nonn  :thumbsup: FurryBootToon is a county town  :)

« Reply #59 on: 03 November, 2017, 08:26:35 pm »

As long as you remember that the capital of Lancashire is NOT MANCHESTER!! :demon: grrr... ;)
Nor, bizarrely, is it Lancaster.  ???
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #60 on: 03 November, 2017, 08:48:16 pm »
I think bobb should get a free pass from having to visit Lancashire.

germany.

It has 16 Länder (counties) and each has a Landeshauptstadt (such as Düsseldorf for NRW).
They can all be linked in about 1500 miles too.  A nice two week trip!
Part 1
Part 2

« Reply #61 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:42:26 pm »

Isn't it ??
Lancashire:- The county town is Lancaster although the county's administrative centre is Preston.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #62 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:51:33 pm »
If you're doing all of GB, I think you might as well include the islands. They are some of the most interesting and scenic parts, and it doesn't add too much cycling distance. Just a few extra ferry trips.
For Scotland, only 3 out of 33 county towns are on islands.

« Reply #63 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:16:48 pm »

Isn't it ??
Lancashire:- The county town is Lancaster although the county's administrative centre is Preston.

You'll have to go through Preston and Lancaster to get to Carlisle, the County Town of Cumbria, and historic Cumberland. The administrative capital of Westmorland was Kendal, although the historic county town is Appleby. I'd just go up the A6, having visited Chester. It's a fast road.

essexian

« Reply #64 on: 04 November, 2017, 08:28:51 am »
Well if you ever get to Stafford, I would be more than willing to show you the highlights.... that should take all of 5 minutes so after that, we would have time for cake.

As another idea, I wonder if visiting every town in the UK called "Newport" would be of interest. According to Wiki, there are at least 8 and most likely more when you add second names Newport.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #65 on: 06 November, 2017, 11:33:21 am »
Because, when we lived in Sutton (London), we stumbled across Suttons everywhere we went, we considered a route linking all the Suttons.  But there are sooooo many!
Getting there...

« Reply #66 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:56:57 pm »

Something I've forgot to mention but this made be think of this - there's quite a good blog about a man who's visiting (by motorcycle though) each place in the song "I've Been Everywhere".

https://everywhereman.me/

On more of a cycle note, one of my plans it so someday visit the highest on road point in each county. Unlikely to do it in one tour, but who knows...