Author Topic: Food fails from around the world  (Read 13123 times)

Re: Food fails from around the world
« Reply #50 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:21:16 am »
The thing with fermented fish things is they don't take much chewing & you can get them past taste buds & nose reasonably rapidly.
Andouillette OTH you have to chew the tripe endlessly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #51 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:29:03 am »
I love a good andouillette with mustard sauce. Andouille is good too, but rather fattier.

The most infamous culinary crime, to our household, was the vile Hoverburger served with thick, limp chips and monstrous helpings of VAT at the Dover hoverport when we crossed from Calais in 198x.  It wasn't quite runny but it wasn't entirely sure if it was a hamburger or a plate of mince. Had a certain arrière-gout of last year's victims from Beecher's Brook.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #52 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »
A drink fail rather than a food fail - a lot of South Africans put ice in thier glass of red wine. That is just... Aghhh, I can't even continue...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #53 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:22:34 pm »
The ultimate French food fail has to be ortolan - WTF? Who would want to do that? Illegal now apparently.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #54 on: 16 December, 2017, 06:53:51 pm »
Don't think tripe is that popular these days.
Have a plate of tripe before a night on the beer.  It helps line the stomach.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #55 on: 16 December, 2017, 08:02:43 pm »
The ultimate French food fail has to be ortolan - WTF? Who would want to do that? Illegal now apparently.

Why the FUCK did I just google that? I really wish I hadn't . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #56 on: 16 December, 2017, 08:44:32 pm »

Ditto,

Currywurst when I was a kid in West Germany was OK, as was chips with mayo.

The fried dish offshore in Indonesia was a bit iffy, just a fish, cut into three bits, thrown in hot oil.  Thr locals went for the heads, which was fine as I then got the middle bits, no idea what happened to the tails.   They had an English and a local menu on that platfrom (UK compny), but I always went for the local menu, much better.

My experience of haggis was on the sleeper from Aberdeen to Euston, it was viler than vile.  Tasted and looked more like the overcarbonised lube oil from the sump of the engine pulling the train.  Is it possible to make lungs taste nice?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 16 December, 2017, 09:11:29 pm »
Mum used to buy lungs from the butcher when she was strapped for cash.
I got to like them and they seemed OK when casseroled at a Jerusalem hospital in which I was a volunteer.

« Reply #58 on: 16 December, 2017, 09:38:01 pm »
I don't understand why people get all squeamish about body parts from animals. If you eat meat (ie dead animal) what's the difference between a thigh, a lung or it's blood made into a sausage? It's all the same - something you killed (or rather a slaughterman killed), just smash it down. If you don't like it - go veggie...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #59 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:05:29 pm »
I’m not sure if you can buy brains anymore, but when a student I cooked a lovely meal of lambs brains in a mild curry sauce with grapes.

They were a lot softer than the pickled brains I was cutting up at the time.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #60 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:23:45 pm »
So... would a really good haggis maker get to see their name in lights?  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #61 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:51:34 pm »
I’m not sure if you can buy brains anymore

I'd give chilled monkey brain a go  :P

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #62 on: 16 December, 2017, 11:31:09 pm »
So... would a really good haggis maker get to see their name in lights?  ;)

Oh deer....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 16 December, 2017, 11:33:35 pm »

W
T
A
F
:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

« Reply #64 on: 17 December, 2017, 08:15:50 am »
I don't understand why people get all squeamish about body parts from animals. If you eat meat (ie dead animal) what's the difference between a thigh, a lung or it's blood made into a sausage? It's all the same - something you killed (or rather a slaughterman killed), just smash it down. If you don't like it - go veggie...

I'll eat most offal, quite partial to kidney and liver.  My point was if that's what lungs taste like, I don't want them - It's more likely to be the case that ScotRail haggis is the lowest common denominator rather than the height of haggis making

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #65 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:13:02 pm »
Lungs have quite a springy, fibrous texture and a strong, meaty taste.

The preparation of the haggis will have mostly  broken up the springy stuff and the flavouring is almost entirely dependant on the seasonings used and the skills of the chef/manufacturer.

I'm sure there's a place for lungs in cheap curry.

And cat food.

« Reply #66 on: 17 December, 2017, 03:02:16 pm »
Dutch: sprinkles. On first appearances, Dutch supermarkets seem to have very large section for cake decorations, then I found out that it's not for cake but they are sprinkles for toast  ::-)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #67 on: 17 December, 2017, 03:36:02 pm »

W
T
A
F
:(

Illegal, yes, but there are groups that claim traditional hunting rights, like Eskimos going after whales. There's even a political party called Chasse, Pêche, Nature et Traditions that defends them. Down in the south-west small birds are still being hunted and sold on the black market. This is what happens to protestors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKwLISv6NAU

There are still plenty of primitive bastards in this world: some hunt song-birds, some vote UKIP.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #68 on: 17 December, 2017, 03:41:57 pm »

The preparation of the haggis will have mostly  broken up the springy stuff and the flavouring is almost entirely dependant on the seasonings used and the skills of the chef/manufacturer.

And cat food.

The first persimmon we tried was nice and red but so astringent as to be inedible. It was over 20 years before we tried another, and now we get them whenever we can.

Likewise, a bad experience of haggis can sicken you of it for life. I had a good one first time around, and if I ever visit Scotland again it'll be one of the first things I look for.

The tinned stuff is rubbish, BTW. At least, Baxter's is.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #69 on: 17 December, 2017, 03:50:44 pm »
Dutch: sprinkles. On first appearances, Dutch supermarkets seem to have very large section for cake decorations, then I found out that it's not for cake but they are sprinkles for toast  ::-)

That's not a FAIL IMO...

ElyDave

« Reply #70 on: 17 December, 2017, 03:51:51 pm »

Normally eaten at breakfast

And then there's the Dutch Crocquetta [?SP], small deep fried balls or cylinders of questionable meat in more questionable sauce in a breadcrumb outer.  No flavour other than thermonuclear heat resulting in the blistering of your mouth and a taste of raw flesh for days afterwards.

« Reply #71 on: 17 December, 2017, 04:00:20 pm »

And cat food.

The Icelandic version of haggis is called slaughter or Slátur according to wikipedia. Imagine Scottish cuisine with the flavouring removed..

Proper haggis is quite tasty in a once-a-year way.

ian

« Reply #72 on: 17 December, 2017, 04:55:30 pm »
Haggis is a bit crap isn't it? Even most Scots seem to do the dutiful once-a-year on Burn's Night and that's that. I don't really care what's in it, it's just one of those things that OK for about three mouthfuls and then by the forth you're looking at the remaining pile and wondering if there's a nearby dog willing to dispose of the rest.

« Reply #73 on: 17 December, 2017, 05:07:10 pm »
Haggis is a bit crap isn't it? Even most Scots seem to do the dutiful once-a-year on Burn's Night and that's that. I don't really care what's in it, it's just one of those things that OK for about three mouthfuls and then by the forth you're looking at the remaining pile and wondering if there's a nearby dog willing to dispose of the rest.
I've never had it.
I cannot say that I'm leaping at the opportunity to do so........

« Reply #74 on: 17 December, 2017, 05:09:31 pm »
Mediterraneans: What's with all the boney fish? If I'm gunna eat me some fish, I want it deboned, battererd and deep fried. I don't want any of this cook it whole and shove it on a plate and then have to spend more time pulling all the bones out than actually eating it.

Shit like squid. I can just go down to my garage and find an old pro race 2, cook it and get a less rubbery texture....