Author Topic: OTTOlock review thread  (Read 1084 times)

OTTOlock review thread
« on: December 24, 2017, 11:48:18 am »
Used mine for the first time today.  Bike didn't get nicked.  18" is long enough for bike stands and railings (you'd need a very long version to go round a lamppost).

The little rubber strap to keep it coiled broke straight away.  You can, of course, just lock it when it's in your bag - this also keeps it compact.
Never tell me the odds.

Re: OTTOlock review thread
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 02:41:23 pm »
I suppose with a lock, the only real way you can review it is to try and break it. Unless it's mainly for visual deterrence, and that is what a lock does most of the time.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »
I like the lock. It’s light, compact, pocket friendly and easy on the paintwork.

For those of you with the silicon / rubber frame holder thing: are you able to fully engage your 4th knobs?

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:04:40 pm »
No other feedback on these?  I'll be getting one courtesy of Ham and am wondering what to look forward to.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 03:45:52 pm »
HK likes her two a lot! No problems with the rubber lock carrier thingies (technical term).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 03:49:21 pm »
Jolly good.  Can't wait to ditch lugging the long-shacke New York around when for most purposes this will do fine.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:26:17 pm »
Jolly good.  Can't wait to ditch lugging the long-shacke New York around when for most purposes this will do fine.
They are different locks. The Otto lock isn't (and I think isn't meant to be) a substitute for the Kryptonite NY IMO.

Mine has arrived and I haven't had the nerve to try it out yet (so I'm carrying 2 locks, one of which is not being used  :facepalm:*). I think it'll be okay for short stops, but I wouldn't want to leave my bike out of sight for more than a minute or two if relying solely on the Otto lock.

I have discovered (by trying it) that it's possible, on mine, to identify the encoded number on the right (units) tumbler by feel. Curiously, that's the only one: the other two remain incognito. However, that does reduce the efficacy of the lock, meaning that only 2 digits have to be worked out. Presumably 99 combinations? What's that - 100 seconds?

(*Probably psychology. I've been relying on a pretty decent cable lock for years, and never had so much as a suggestion of attempted theft. However, that may be more down to where I ride and how I park. The OL may be as/more robust. It's just that it's new, and untried.)
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:04:07 pm »
Minor issue with all combination locks - if you're properly longsighted or just presbyopic, and you park your bike in a dark place, you're going to have trouble unlocking it because you can't read the numbers.  A solution would be to make zero a different colour (or black on white) as you could select the right combination by clicks, given a starting point.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:52:42 pm »
Just dab a bit of reflective paint on the numbers you need :)
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:22:45 pm »
Minor issue with all combination locks - if you're properly longsighted or just presbyopic, and you park your bike in a dark place, you're going to have trouble unlocking it because you can't read the numbers.  A solution would be to make zero a different colour (or black on white) as you could select the right combination by clicks, given a starting point.

It's likely that the Ottolock will not be the only problem issue in that case, a magnifier on your phone is your friend https://play.google.com/store/search?q=magnifier&c=apps (must be similar for fruit based communication devices)

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:00 pm »
Used mine in anger for the first time on last weekend's Poor Student audax.  It worked well.  Combination wheels roll easily and alignment not as fiddly as some.

I normally dangle my cable lock off the back of my saddle using a couple of toe straps through it and, although I have a mount, used the same arrangement for the Ottolock.  I was slightly concerned that this relied on the rubber thingy to keep it in a loop so locked it into a loop then used the rubber thingy to tidy up the tail.

Received a couple of positive comments off other riders on the event.