Author Topic: B&M Seculite+ connection instructions - better explanation please  (Read 3550 times)

I’ve one of these to fit. Mechanically it seems easy - thought there is a little bag of bits and no instructions how to use them  :-\ not that I think I’ll need to.

But my real issue is with the electrical connections. The spade connectors are obvious, but I can’t for the life of me see how to use the bare wire option.  It says in the minimalist instruction to push the wire in them press the connector “C” and there is a barely readable sketch on the packaging, but I’m flummoxed. Anyone able to point me in the direction of more legible and comprehensive instructions please?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: B&M Seculite+ connection instructions - better explanation please
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2018, 12:09:04 pm »
This is the mudguard light, correct?

At he bottom on the rear is a pull down section which is pulled by gripping the edge of the bottom section beneath the spade terminals either side.  This reveals holes behind the spade terminals in the light body where you poke in the bare cable ends.

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2018, 12:42:01 pm »
if it is a rack-mounted light then there is a similar (non obvious) method of using the bare wire connection. IIRC you push the wires in the holes and move a little lever. There is little marking on the light itself to indicate this, and the instructions are as clear as mud....

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2018, 01:09:45 pm »
Thanks guys - yes Mike it is the mudguard version, it was the “pulling down”bit I couldn’t see how to do. I’ll have another go when I go back down to the shed.

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2018, 01:47:55 pm »
It's not entirely clear and it took me a while to find the edges and pull down the slider.  Unusually stupid design from B&M imo.

« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2018, 02:09:16 pm »
Well I failed again. I can see (what I think is) the split slider at the bottom, a left and right side with a sort of zig-zag gap in the middle,  but cannot see how to pull or hinge them down - I’ve even tried levering with a small screwdriver at the outer edge without success and I’m afraid of using too much force and damaging it  :-\. There must be a technique I’m lacking  :-X

Not an immediate concern as I can of course use the spade terminals, but (like Bruce’s maybe) I may run a top light in parallel with it once I’ve molisged a suitable bracket for my Cateye onto the rails of my Brooks Professional.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2018, 02:22:20 pm »
I've had a look at my Seculite and can't see anything other than the spade terminals. I know some B&M rear lights have this bare wire connector but does the Seculite?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:06:17 pm »
Very interesting, this thread, since my Secula came without any instructions. I have sworn at it on every occasion I had to connect it up.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:22:24 pm »
I am totally crap at posting photographs but if I take some and send them to somebody here, perhaps they would get posted?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:43:52 pm »
Seculite or Secula? They are 2 different models, the Secula is much newer.
Instructions for the Seculite are here, in German. They have a diagram for wiring, though it isn't very clear. http://en.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Anleitungen/330d.pdf

Don't know if instructions for the Secula are available anywhere.

« Reply #10 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:47:39 pm »
I've had a look at my Seculite and can't see anything other than the spade terminals. I know some B&M rear lights have this bare wire connector but does the Seculite?

The “plus” certainly does. I can see the holes, but they appear blanked. My expectation is the the “blade” part pulls or hinges out to expose a clear hole, wire poked in, then blade pushed in a la Scotch connector, cutting the insulation through to the wire. I confess the instructions, such
as they are, are still in the shed, so it may be that the wire needs stripping first before poking in. I’m loathe to just press part “C” without a wire in place (to see it it’s already in the “open” position rather than needing to be opened) in case the action is irreversible.

The instructions are frankly utter pants in this case.

« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:52:04 pm »
Instructions for the Seculite are here, in German. They have a diagram for wiring, though it isn't very clear. http://en.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Anleitungen/330d.pdf

Don't know if instructions for the Secula are available anywhere.

That’s the beast - Seculite Plus. I will have to wade through a translation though. I’m not clear if “c” is supplied in the open or closed position when you buy the light. I’ve certainly failed to pull it open though!

« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:55:18 pm »
If the rounded bottom is smooth then it is closed.  If it juts down as in he side profile image on page 2 then it is already open. 

If open you should be able to see a hole in the side of the body behind the spade terminal marked B in the diagram.  There is one each side of course.

« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2018, 05:06:16 pm »
http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/Busch_&_Muller/Busch_&_Muller_Seculite_Light_Instructions.pdf instructions in pdf so you can zoom on the diagram in the warm and not have to keep venturing to the shed!

« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2018, 05:07:40 pm »
Then it’s closed as I thought it would be  - the “b” hole is blocked - and I’m damned if I can get it to open. I imagined gentle pressure with a thumbnail or the aforementioned small screwdriver would cause “c” to pop downwards. So far not. It it one piece or two - one part for each cable? And how did you open yours! I’ll have another look tomorrow, but I’m lacking fresh inspiration as to how it might work. Maybe Im just being too gentle, not something I’m noted for  :)

« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2018, 05:09:24 pm »
It's a one piece slider and can be very stiff if I recall correctly.

Thanks for that Tod28.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2018, 05:09:35 pm »
http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/Busch_&_Muller/Busch_&_Muller_Seculite_Light_Instructions.pdf instructions in pdf so you can zoom on the diagram in the warm and not have to keep venturing to the shed!

Yep, I’ve even got them in English on my packaging. Hasn’t helped but thanks anyway  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2018, 05:10:49 pm »
It's a one piece slider and can be very stiff if I recall correctly.

Thanks for that Tod28.   :thumbsup:

Ta, stiff doesn’t do it justice. A “brute force and ignorance” session seems appropriate  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2018, 06:45:51 pm »

The “plus” certainly does. I can see the holes, but they appear blanked. My expectation is the the “blade” part pulls or hinges out to expose a clear hole, wire poked in, then blade pushed in a la Scotch connector, cutting the insulation through to the wire. I confess the instructions, such
as they are, are still in the shed, so it may be that the wire needs stripping first before poking in. I’m loathe to just press part “C” without a wire in place (to see it it’s already in the “open” position rather than needing to be opened) in case the action is irreversible.

The instructions are frankly utter pants in this case.
Following Fuaran's post I've realized what I have is a Secula not a Seculite. Sorry for the confusion.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2018, 07:32:43 pm »
I swapped my Seculite Plus (for compatibility reasons) for a Secula LineTec, but when I was fiddling with it, I too could not figure out how to remove the clip to expose the bare wire terminals – and I broke fingernails trying.

Is there a reason you're not using the spade terminals..?

« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2018, 07:43:50 pm »
I swapped my Seculite Plus (for compatibility reasons) for a Secula LineTec, but when I was fiddling with it, I too could not figure out how to remove the clip to expose the bare wire terminals – and I broke fingernails trying.

Is there a reason you're not using the spade terminals..?

I’m ok with using them for now but a) I hate not knowing how something works and b) I was thinking of adding a second (probably a Toplite) rear light in parallel and using the push in terminals makes that an easy addition.

« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2018, 07:51:21 pm »
I’m ok with using them for now but a) I hate not knowing how something works and b) I was thinking of adding a second (probably a Toplite) rear light in parallel and using the push in terminals makes that an easy addition.

Ah... Just wondered if I was missing a trick with the spade-connectors-only on my yet-to-be-fitted Secula...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:31:01 am »

Drat yes, I didn't notice this was about the -lite rather than the -la, which remains a PITA to connect.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23 on: 10 January, 2018, 12:20:59 pm »

the instructions say that you do not need to strip the insulation from the wires before inserting them; presumably the connector is an 'insulation displacement' type. IME these only work reliably on the particular type of wire for which they are intended.

BTW in the instructions they seem to refer to the (not very clear) diagrams as 'scribble'. Maybe they meant 'sketches', but out of the mouths of babes and fools.... ::-)

cheers

« Reply #24 on: 10 January, 2018, 12:54:50 pm »

the instructions say that you do not need to strip the insulation from the wires before inserting them; presumably the connector is an 'insulation displacement' type. IME these only work reliably on the particular type of wire for which they are intended.

BTW in the instructions they seem to refer to the (not very clear) diagrams as 'scribble'. Maybe they meant 'sketches', but out of the mouths of babes and fools.... ::-)

cheers

I would imagine that it's just a quirk of translation and does not reflect the mental capacity of any person or persons in particular.