Author Topic: Are EWE Abbey yet? - 21/22-07-18  (Read 8010 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Are EWE Abbey yet? - 21/22-07-18
« on: 25 February, 2018, 08:06:36 pm »
Righto, let's see what you make of this..  :)

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-70/

Wouldn't ask anybody to do something I won't, so testing next month...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: Are EWE Abbey yet? - 21/22-07-18
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2018, 09:30:13 pm »
I've already entered the new border raid in July.. but this looks like a hoot. So 2019?

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2018, 10:02:47 pm »
I've already entered the new border raid in July.. but this looks like a hoot. So 2019?

But that's on 14th (I'll see you there)...

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2018, 02:52:26 pm »
It goes right past my house at exactly the half-way point... that's gonna be hard :(

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2018, 03:02:13 pm »
It goes right past my house at exactly the half-way point... that's gonna be hard :(
that's why I recommend you help me at the Oxford night stop instead :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2018, 04:30:37 pm »
Having had a quick look at the route map can I make a couple of suggestions? Near Coggeshall it looks like you are using the A12 and A120: I would not ride on these roads. You can avoid the A12 by going through Maldon, this wouldn't change the distance by much. Avoiding the A120 is more difficult, most obvious is to go up through Halstead but this would probably need an info. Alternatively you could go to St John's Abbey in Colchester and this would avoid both.

South of Didcot it looks like you use a bit of the A38, you probably have better local knowledge than me (I always go through Didcot east-west) but it doesn't look inviting. Don't know what the alternative is, though.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:37:54 pm »
Having had a quick look at the route map can I make a couple of suggestions? Near Coggeshall it looks like you are using the A12 and A120: I would not ride on these roads. You can avoid the A12 by going through Maldon, this wouldn't change the distance by much. Avoiding the A120 is more difficult, most obvious is to go up through Halstead but this would probably need an info. Alternatively you could go to St John's Abbey in Colchester and this would avoid both.

South of Didcot it looks like you use a bit of the A38, you probably have better local knowledge than me (I always go through Didcot east-west) but it doesn't look inviting. Don't know what the alternative is, though.

Or... could be using Boreham Road (runs parallel to A12 from Chelmsford to Hatfield Peverel) and A12 cycle path which runs all the way to Kelvedon, then up the B1024 to Coggeshall.  From Coggeshall there are routes to Bishop Stortford without the A120, Cuthedge Lane and a few others in to Braintree, then B1256 (Dunmow Road) for example, which runs parallel to the A120 for quite a lot of that run. 

I'd be more worried about cycle route 13 from Tilbury round the coast past the fort! ;)

It's a bit hard to see the exact route from the outline map though :)
Regards,

Joergen

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:06:09 am »
Thanks both - don't worry, I certainly don't chose the dual c/way's.

Villages/lanes south of A12, to cross at Kelvedon, and indeed the B1256 to parallel the A120...

A38?  Not unless you're very off-route  ;)  A34 - yes, it could be used, be an early Sun am run, so should be light traffic.  Boring as hell tho'...
Dogleg via Wantage to Newbury to Whitchurch to Winchester via lanes.

NCR 13 - Industrial wasteland, no thanks.

« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2018, 07:14:29 am »
A34 - yes, it could be used, be an early Sun am run, so should be light traffic. 

Light traffic, maybe.  But travelling at motorway speeds.  NOT recommended.
Fortunately there are pleasant alternatives - but whichever way you go between sleep stop and breakfast at Winchester you are cutting across the grain of the country so it's all quite scenic.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:25:12 am »
"I see no hills" ;D

« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:41:07 pm »
A34 - yes, it could be used, be an early Sun am run, so should be light traffic. 

Light traffic, maybe.  But travelling at motorway speeds.  NOT recommended.
Fortunately there are pleasant alternatives - but whichever way you go between sleep stop and breakfast at Winchester you are cutting across the grain of the country so it's all quite scenic.

Agreed – the A34 south of Didcot has blind summits and bends, and people still drive at 70 mph or more.

Going through Wantage would be much more sensible, I think :)  There's also a track that runs across a field along the side of the A34, between the Harwell Science Campus and the Ridgeway, that allows a slightly more direct route from Abingdon.  Might not be to everyone's taste, though.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2018, 10:32:14 am »
Before folks waste too much time on this A34 issue, I can state that Iddu's latest draft goes to WANTAGE, thus completely avoiding the A34. (But he might change that - 5 months of route-tweaking to go!)

OT personal experience of A34;
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2018, 07:59:58 pm »
Wouldn't ask anybody to do something I won't, so testing next month...

Mmm, well that wasn't exactly to plan... ;D

Went out to do a check(*).  Because the Greavend-Tilbury ferry fiished at 7pm, and was 300+Km, in, that meant stupid o'clock midnight start, joining the route at Newbury - so scuttled down the valley at 11pm...

It hooned it down until 4am, and there were narrow lanes with floods, to make life 'interesting'.

What was suprising was how fixer friendly(**) it was.  Although nominally crossing the grain of the land heading South, there was no stupid climbs, just long drags, until you got a sudden swoop down, and realised just how much you gradually gained.

Even turning Eastward and riding up and over Portsdown, looking at the twinkly lights of Hummer's gaff, was a delight, all the way to Battle.

Of course, from Battle, you head Northwards, into the High Weald.  There's a clue in the name, and at this point, seeing the 17% I thought, "Hmmm, should've brought Gears."

About 20Km out realised I wasn't gong to make the cut(***), so cut some slack, then trained back home. 

I'll do the 2nd half later.  Shaping up to be a good 'un.  :thumbsup:

(*)    Wouldn't ask y'all to do what I won't
(**)   For small values of...
(***) The multiple vistations ddn't help

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2018, 01:13:30 am »
[DEATH] DARK IN THE LANES, ISN'T IT? [/DEATH]

Yeah, but at least it's not pissing down this time...

Winchester, 47k in.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: 26 May, 2018, 03:03:19 am »
Ah, 'tis a lovely night to be out.

Titchfield, 80k

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: 26 May, 2018, 07:28:09 am »
That bit was harder than expected - againsterly for a large chunk, and starting to bonk 'cos there's nowhere selling stuff.

Storrington, 144kk, stuffing me face with a Yougart, Oat, Blueberry & Raisin mix, which looks disgusting, but tastes OK

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:20:46 am »
That bit was harder than expected - againsterly for a largevchunk, and starting to bonk 'cos there's nowhere selling stuff.
What did you expect??

Heavy showers here, but more dry periods than wet ones, so you should have a decent day. Pedal-up!

[I have no idea where Storrington is, and even less idea where you started :P ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: 26 May, 2018, 12:22:15 pm »
Hot, frazzled & tetchy...

Battle, 224k

At least I should make the ferry today...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: 26 May, 2018, 06:19:56 pm »
Hurrah, managed to  catch the 6pm ferry, so done with Sarf of the River (for the mo')  :thumbsup:

Still 100k+ 'til sleeps - bah  :(

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: 27 May, 2018, 01:59:54 am »
Safe but squelchy - there's some wonderful cloud lightning going on, and occasional 5 minute deluges, that you really don' t want .to get caught in.

Nighty night...

« Reply #20 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:27:13 am »
Hmmm !

iddu + test ride = weather

There's a theme developing here.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:40:48 am »
It's all about taking one for the players  :P

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2018, 12:36:25 pm »
Sunny St. Albans.  Time for BEER  :)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #23 on: 29 May, 2018, 11:33:03 pm »
Hmmm, that waz f'ard, due to the heat - struggled to find enough to drink all day, ~18L on Sat / ~12L on Sun, and still felt dry.  Hope next w/e's a bit cooler.

Technically a sub-27 400 + sub-13 200, but DNF because I elected for a 5-hour nap in between, so NUL points...

Some YOU GIT climbs, miles of straight & flat Roman roads, and lots of little insidious 2%'ers that rinse & repeat for Km's...killing you gently with pretty scenery :)

Better correct the destructions for you loverly riders ;D

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #24 on: 30 May, 2018, 06:40:52 am »
I was wondering about you during the radio silence. Well done, and the best of luck to those attempting it.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa