Author Topic: Frame Dents  (Read 1177 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Frame Dents
« on: 05 March, 2018, 10:01:17 pm »
When an ad for a vintage steel framse sez "has dent in down tube easy repair", how exactly is a dent in a downtube repaired?

Re: Frame Dents
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:13:26 pm »
most dents can be repaired, right enough. [Various ways depending on the exact nature of the dent; ask a framebuilder.]

But, if you are of cynical mind, you might wonder why it is that if it is 'easy' why the vendor of said frame has not bothered to carry out said repair.... ::-)

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:15:21 pm »
But, if you are of cynical mind, you might wonder why it is that if it is 'easy' why the vendor of said frame has not bothered to carry out said repair.... ::-)

cheers

He'd probably run out of filler :hand:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:26:11 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:28:42 pm »
A few options, depending on how severe the dent is and how anal you are about the final result.
http://chuck.kichline.com/bikes/Framedents/default.htm is the easiest but destroys the paint.
https://itstillruns.com/fix-dents-slide-hammer-5469569.html but braze the wire on, rather than drill a hole. Cut it off afterwards. Paint is toast locally, of course.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:31:19 pm »
A more charitable view might be that, if it’s just a minor dent, it can be easily filled with a suitable filler. It might be that the bother and cost of the subsequent re-spraying is the thinking behind passing the problem on?

« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2018, 07:59:50 am »
dents vary of course but in steel frames most are not entirely susceptible to merely being filled (eg with car body filler); the reason for this is that most dents have raised regions nearby the dent.  [if you want to see why, roll a piece of paper into a tube, and make a 'dent' in it; you will soon find that you cannot do this without making a raised area near the dent.]

This means that if the dent is merely filled until smooth, the tube diameter ends up slightly larger than previously.  If the dent is filled with  braze metal, the thermal cycle tends to shrink  the surrounding metal and of course a framebuilder may knock any upstands down.

Large dents in thinner tubes (eg top tubes in racing frames) can usually be rolled out, to the point at which the surface is smooth enough such that it can be refinished with a couple of coats of filler-primer (and any increase is diameter is not noticeable), anyway.

cheers