Author Topic: For the want of a screw. hang(er) on a minute.  (Read 807 times)

For the want of a screw. hang(er) on a minute.
« on: 09 June, 2018, 04:52:38 pm »
HI,
packing away my bike for travel. I use a  fairly minimal soft bag so I tend to break down the bike a little more than most. On breakdown I noted that the ridiculously small hex set-screw that keeps my hanger in place had worked loose in my recent rides since last break down of bike.
it was suggested by a mate that its inadvisable to remove the hanger and just remove the derallieur alone , but that leaves the hanger a little compromised when flying.
Curious as to what others do and if there is a way to retighten the dwarf screw (that requires the eyes of an eagle to locate) at the other end without threading it.
I do reinstall the thru axle when the bike is packed but the hanger pokes out a little and I can envisage it being knackered by careless baggage handling.
often lost.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: For the want of a screw. hang(er) on a minute.
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2018, 07:47:49 pm »
If you travel with the bike regularly, I think it would be worth your while having a block of wood fashioned to fit between the dropouts and bored to take the axle. If it's around 50mm square that should be sufficient to protect the hanger in the bag along with the rear triangle from careless baggage handlers.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2018, 12:54:04 am »
to protect the frame spacing lengths of broom handle with wood screws and penny washers are enough. But they are not going to protect the hanger.  I suggest a second length of broom handle attached alongside the first, with a screw through the hanger eye.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »
cheers. like the wood idea.
Bodged for now with various bubble wrap etc and squeezed into bag. Bottom line is the bag is a wee bit tight for the bike. Originally bought for the road racer, but the endurance/gravel bike I travel with now has relaxed geometry  is pushing up against the limits of the available space. Mrs Morbihans smaller frame and 650b have oodles of room. Spare hanger packed!
May have to look into one of those hard case/grand piano/fat man in a coffin bike boxes for future trips. They are such fun to try and wedge into the back of a taxi though. Or take up jogging and travel with trainers.
often lost.