Author Topic: Mini Velo, anyone?  (Read 1322 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Mini Velo, anyone?
« on: 24 June, 2018, 09:37:52 am »
I don't really have a need for a folding bike, but I rather fancy something more compact  to go with my bus pass. These look cute: 20" wheels but 'proper' road compo ents and (hopefully) frame quality.

Does anyone have any experience of how they ride? I'm thinking hub gears, drops and Big Apple tyres.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Re: Mini Velo, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2018, 03:58:25 pm »
I have an early Dahon Speed TR with Thudbuster seatpost.
Clearances are too tight for BA's but it rides lovely. It doesn't know it hasn't got 26" wheels and it is lots better than my Brompton.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2018, 04:38:08 pm »
They are mostly designed for the Asian market, so too small for this 180+cm bloke. Those who they fit seem to like them, though top gears can be lacking in stock format.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »
The Dahon MU P8 I have rides surprisingly well. It's at its most useful in stop-start traffic, thanks to quick acceleration and effective braking. Less enjoyable for a steady pace on open road, as it needs more energy to keep it rolling than the equivalent 700c bike. I tried Big Apples on it but they added more drag than necessary and I went back to the original (slightly slimmer) tyres. Hub gears make sense on a bike with short stays, as the chain can stay parallel to the centre line of the frame which can make for quieter gear shifting. Single speed can work well too.

Since owning the Dahon, I've considered buying a Giant Mini which is a non-folding small wheeler with drops. I'd also enjoy the Dahon Hammerhead.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:43:33 pm »
The Orbea Katu looks like fun. They have a few models with 20" wheels, hub gears, disc brakes and a basket.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »
Two years back I bought Mrs T42 a folding Dahon of some kind. The steering scares me stiff and she hasn't yet screwed up the courage to ride it. It lives permanently in a bin-bag under a bench and once a year I get it out and unfold it. It then clutters up the workshop waiting to be ridden for a week, then gets folded up & stowed again. Weighs half a ton, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight